Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wurzburg Castle  (Read 3254 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Wurzburg Castle
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:50 am »

Travel snapshot. Had a heck of a time with the sky and still not sure it's right. Wanted to emphasize the texture in the wall, but might have gone too far. First export from LR5 with change to sRGB color space was garish. This is Adobe1998 and it's still off to my eye. AFIK my monitor is properly calibrated and it does not look like this in LR/PS. CC welcome.
Update: Colors look right using Chrome browser, but not IE10.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:28:45 am by David Eckels »

Peter McLennan

Re: Wurzburg Castle
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:59 am »

Colour looks good here on my 27" NEC with Chrome.  Possibly a little contrasty. My immediate impression was "LR processed". : )

Castle texture looks good, sky a little overdone, shadows dense black.

Pretty nice for a "travel snapshot".  : )

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:38:54 am »

It doesn't look right. The sky in particular

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:45:09 am »

The colors look fairly close on my calibrated monitor, David. There might be just a tiny bit too much green in that blue sky, and the Info panel in Photoshop CC seems to agree.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »

The colors look fairly close on my calibrated monitor, David. There might be just a tiny bit too much green in that blue sky, and the Info panel in Photoshop CC seems to agree.
Thanks guys! I'll see if I can see what you're seeing in the Info panel, Russ; I had the same impression, but couldn't seem to get it right. Bill, were you seeing the greenish cast in the sky or just too contrasty? Thanks for the feedback.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 07:12:26 pm »

I took the green down using Curves and masking the sky. Is there an easier way? Or a more quantitative way? Anyway, fixed a few other things, too. Thanks for the help!

cjogo

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:15:29 pm »

Looks fine on Fire Fox .. on a calibrated monitor  ;)

cjogo

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 08:18:43 pm »

I took the green down using Curves and masking the sky. Is there an easier way? Or a more quantitative way? Anyway, fixed a few other things, too. Thanks for the help!

Easy Way?  hit AUTO COLOR in CS  ;) ...  You really only have to be "perfect "color > with your printer ..  I'm mostly B&W - and profiled to Costco ...

Tonysx

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:57:08 pm »

Maybe I'm too used to film and manual focus, The colours seem fine to me, I prefer the second rendition but it just looks over-sharpened to me. I took a copy and reduced the sharpness and to me it looked a lot better. Perhaps that's what you get with today's cameras and lenses.....
‘Be you ever so high, the law

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:22:39 am »

Easy Way?  hit AUTO COLOR in CS  ;) ...  You really only have to be "perfect "color > with your printer ..  I'm mostly B&W - and profiled to Costco ...
Thanks, cjogo. Costco does a very nice job with B/W
Maybe I'm too used to film and manual focus, The colours seem fine to me, I prefer the second rendition but it just looks over-sharpened to me. I took a copy and reduced the sharpness and to me it looked a lot better. Perhaps that's what you get with today's cameras and lenses.....
When I exported the image from LR I had sharpen for screen set to high. Plus I was using SEP luminosity layers to give some intentional crunchiness to the wall. I think I got the color issues squared away. Thanks for the comments.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:54 pm »

Brandt, thanks for the comments. B&W version here.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 07:43:17 am »

What everyone else said plus you might want to ease up on the sharpening a bit. More haloes than necessary.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 09:56:23 am »

What everyone else said plus you might want to ease up on the sharpening a bit. More haloes than necessary.
Which sharpening, Chris? The LR capture sharpening or the "final" PS USM (creative?) sharpening?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 10:27:10 am »

Since I didn't do the image, I don't know at what step you applied the sharpening. It well could be both.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

dbolt

• Photos by Doug Bolt
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 11:02:21 am »

I really like the composition.  The sky is very nice, but the image seems over saturated in all colors (RGB).  Using View>Proof setup (sRGB)>Gamut Warning to show out of gamut colors (the grays in the attached screen clip) and setting the Histogram to display individual RGB, the spikes on the right side of each color indicate clipping. 

Saturation masks on a Hue/Sat adjustment layer can be used to tone down the out of gamut colors and increase detail in these areas.

Doug Bolt
http:\\dougboltphotography.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 01:46:52 pm »

... I had sharpen for screen set to high... intentional crunchiness...

There seems to be a new breed of terrorists.

Though they appear divided internally, into two factions, they manage to present a unified front to the rest of the world. On this forum, the undisputed ringleader is Russ. Though I can not confirm he is directly responsible for the actions of his followers (still waiting on NSA to get back to me on that), there also appears to be an unhealthy degree of self-radicalization by other members of this forum.

Their weapons of mass destruction? The two factions? Sharpness and crunchiness. They appear hellbent on hurting our eyes, terrorizing us into submission to their beliefs that one can never be too thin, too rich or... too sharp.

It seems impossible to cut off their arms supply, as they use publicly available resources to lay their hands on the weapons like D800 and Lightroom. Short of crippling D800 to a non weapon-grade 12 Mpx, and short of restricting Clarity slider in LR to say +25 and output sharpening to "Normal," I am at a loss to suggest effective ways to counter their despicable acts of terror. Perhaps Adobe should form a counter-terrorism unit? After all, they are already experienced in cooperating with the FBI on currency counterfeiting.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 02:17:26 pm »

As I am finding out, sharpening can be a double edged sword as I discovered earlier in my Northern Ca Coast shot. It's not sharpening that hurts the image, it's how the sharpening is applied, when and of course as always, how much.

This image (sorry to hijack your thread, but it is for demo purposes) has been majorly sharpened using a two pass method. There are no haloes and as per screen output, as crisp as I believe anyone needs...then again, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I believe in flying saucers as well, so my credibility is always as risk for question.

Oh, and can you find the alligator in this shot?

degrub

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 02:21:46 pm »

lower left, if that is who is winking at you, just before having your feet for lunch  ;)

Frank

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 02:24:56 pm »

Too small for that but mama...ooh, mama could have taken me in one bite. I'll post her later.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 03:49:27 pm »

There seems to be a new breed of terrorists.
LOL Can't blame them, but as you've helped me with my heavy hand in the past, I continue to find these comments/critiques very helpful.
As I am finding out, sharpening can be a double edged sword...sorry to hijack your thread...
I need to go back and re-read Schewe's "Real World Sharpening" again. But it I can't see it, it musn't be enough, right? Rhetorical question. Your image looks beautifully sharp, but then you don't go in for the crunchier (terrorista) look that I tend to. BTW, not a hijack, pic's worth a thousand. PS I found the aligator without reading the other comments!
dbolt, thanks for the suggestion. Don't use that feature, but obviously need to learn how.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up