Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Girl And A Selfie  (Read 3269 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
A Girl And A Selfie
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »

Late afternoon sun, dipping below the clouds before disappearing for the day and illuminating her for less than a minute. 6400 ISO, hand-held. Color, light and shadow. Modern times.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: A Girl And A Selfie
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 12:14:34 am »

Auto-voyeurism?  :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 03:33:43 am »

Auto-voyeurism?  :D

You find that in the cars thread, Eric.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 03:38:17 am »

Nice atmosphere; sad reminder of the rapid passing of time. My own looked young one day and then the next time I noticed she was someone else. My observation is that either time accelerates as you age, or the young, of their own volition, stay young for ever shorter times. Why are they (or we) in a hurry?

Rob C

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 05:13:04 pm »

Well done! She's even got "duckface" going on. A perfect summary a pretty large social phenomenon.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 06:00:54 pm »

Well done! She's even got "duckface" going on. A perfect summary a pretty large social phenomenon.

What's duckface?

Rob C

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:29:47 pm »

What's duckface?

Rob C

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/duck-face

“Duck Face”, also known as “Myspace Face”, is a pejorative term for a facial expression made by pressing one’s lips together into the shape of a duck’s bill. It is often associated with self-gratuitous photos of teenage girls posted on social networking sites like Myspace and Facebook. (cont)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 11:05:44 am »

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/duck-face

Thank you sir; hoped to be learning something new, but it turns out to be nothing more than what we snappers/models used to call a moue back in the day - made us all feel we were working in Paris...

So what else is new in the world of digital youth? Other than that they have just invented sex, of course.

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:47 am »

... So what else is new in the world of digital youth?...

Narcissism of historic proportions. Selfies are made, by the same person, dozens to hundred times a day, and shared instantly.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 01:55:06 pm »

Narcissism of historic proportions. Selfies are made, by the same person, dozens to hundred times a day, and shared instantly.

Good God; that really is serious. And expensive, unless you happen to have got one of those nice contracts that allow hundreds of minutes of supposedly free calls per month.

No shit...

Rob C

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 03:15:06 am »

So what else is new in the world of digital youth?

Botox lips

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 02:59:01 pm »

I wasn't going to post this because it's not an overly flattering portrait (nor a very good image), but it was one of those 'perfect' moments where the angle of the phone was just right and the sun was in just the right place and I had my cell phone with me.  I just trust that the subject sees it with humour!

Mike.

'Loving her Phone'
If your mind is attuned t

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 03:08:51 pm »

I wasn't going to post this because it's not an overly flattering portrait (nor a very good image), but it was one of those 'perfect' moments where the angle of the phone was just right and the sun was in just the right place and I had my cell phone with me.  I just trust that the subject sees it with humour!

Mike.

'Loving her Phone'

I think that this is a perfect street shot. Well seen, well captured. The best street scenes are universal and timeless, although this one would not be backward compatible.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 02:01:35 am »

Thanks, Glen!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 04:57:16 am »

Actually, I think the shot sends a different reaction to me: more do I see it as a criticism of the plastic age where the china cup seems to have become extinct.

Along with holes in your car so that you can place yet another plastic cup into them when driving (you'd want to drink and drive?), this is a measure of the decline in living and behavioural mores of the past few years. It all seems to be going south in a race to instant convenience at the price of sensible and desirable ways of doing things... who in their right mind would want to sit at a table and drink from anything less than a real cup or glass? And pay for the privilege of the insult?

How it all gets lost.

Rob C

Harald L

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 06:14:51 am »

Actually, I think the shot sends a different reaction to me: more do I see it as a criticism of the plastic age where the china cup seems to have become extinct.

Along with holes in your car so that you can place yet another plastic cup into them when driving (you'd want to drink and drive?), this is a measure of the decline in living and behavioural mores of the past few years. It all seems to be going south in a race to instant convenience at the price of sensible and desirable ways of doing things... who in their right mind would want to sit at a table and drink from anything less than a real cup or glass? And pay for the privilege of the insult?

How it all gets lost.

Rob C

First thought: Wow, what do you put in a chatting girl - but then I saw the Starbuck's cup. Yep, You're right.
Glad to be an amateur

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 06:44:41 am »

I think the point of the paper cup is that people can just walk away with it, something you wouldn't be able to (legally) do with a china cup.

Harald L

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 07:59:01 am »

I think the point of the paper cup is that people can just walk away with it, something you wouldn't be able to (legally) do with a china cup.

You've nailed it perfectly. Actually a cup of coffee was a civilized rest. Now it has been degraded to a lapidary fill-up of hot stuff. Maybe I see it a little bit harsh but I belong to the guys who would suffer hunger instead using cutlery made of plastic.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 10:10:23 am »

Rob, I am a frequent Starbucks visitor too, but I made a point to ask for a china cup every time I planned to sit down there. The problem is, you see, too many baristas respond to that with "No problem, Sir, all our paper cups are made in China."  ;D

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 10:19:55 am »

You've nailed it perfectly. Actually a cup of coffee was a civilized rest. Now it has been degraded to a lapidary fill-up of hot stuff. Maybe I see it a little bit harsh but I belong to the guys who would suffer hunger instead using cutlery made of plastic.

Harald

My take on this is this is the world we live it. It evolves whether we like it or not. If I wanted to use stainless and not plastic, I'd carry a Swiss Army camp knife. I don't particularly like plastic fantastic silverware, but I am particularly fond of eating. Anyway, it is a rare moment I eat anywhere which would serve me on a paper plate and hand me plastic ware unless it was fast food where I would expect such.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up