Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as HP z3100 remanufactured ink?  (Read 1557 times)

aslowdodge

Is there such a thing as HP z3100 remanufactured ink?
« on: August 21, 2013, 02:26:05 am »

From what I read no one here feels good about non hp ink solutions. I see for my z3100 the inks are about $75 each. I have seen a few site where they supposedly have remanufactured hp inks for $58. The part numbers look like

HEWC9458A-REM

their description reads as follows
"This is a premium quality HP C9458A remanufactured blue ink cartridge, with the chip that communicates with the printer, that's 100% guaranteed to perform as well as the HP brand cartridge - at a fraction of the cost.

Many competitors sell cheap refilled cartridges - which do not have the chip, tend to have a high failure rate, print poorly and can leak (which is why we don't sell them).

Our premium quality HP C9458A remanufactured ink cartridge will not void your machine's warranty and is backed by a 100% quality and satisfaction guarantee for one full year. Click here for details."

They show an actual HP ink cartridge. Are these legit?

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Is there such a thing as HP z3100 remanufactured ink?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:54:15 am »

My opinion; if you made the choice for HP Zs you are not going to cut corners on its inks. I can imagine that for Epson pigment printers (fill them with Vivera pigment inks for example) but not with Zs.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Damir

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:13:27 am »

Exactly

it seems to me that HP Z have very small usage of inks.

I recently got Epson Stylus Pro 9800 with almost full ink carts, capacity 220 ml.

After one cleaning cycle and about dozen of test prints on A3+  which is 13 x 19 inch, not all, but several of my ink status drops from 80% to 20% which is approximately capacity of one Z cart.

I can print dozen A3+ prints in Z without any problem with several ml of ink in carts.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:45:20 pm »

I have had HP and Epson, and HP is much less of an ink user and waster.
HP even has a printing chart of how much ink the printer will use with your paper on different types of coverage. From my expereince, you can also leafve the printer on without printer for weeks, and come back to a perfect print.

If this is true to the Z or other HP's, I think this is enough reason for me to go with HP for my future printer. For now I have an HP 130 Designjet 24", and I have a clog in one of the heads, but if I can clear it I will continue with it, since I have had it for 6 years. It has problems for sure. The tray doesn't feed paper(even when new it had issues). Other than that the EFI RIP is to blame for not supporting 1200dpi on some of the best papers, like Proofing Gloss, and another I cant remember. This was a big issue for me, as I purchased over $2k worth of media when I got the printer, then to find out I can't usse the EFI ICC with it.

For me, I would go with HP, then Canon, then Epson. But I do hear Canon needs to run regularly. I wish they could be more clear about these usage issues. Epson will do an automatic cleaning from time to time to keep things primed, and ready, but is also rather thirsty with inks. 

Maybe for Canon and HP, if you have it connected and ON almost constant, there can be a program to auto print off a small swatch from all the inks to keep it from clogging?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:52:13 pm »

I forgot the most important part...
helping with the question :-)

From my understanding...

Some reman inks are actually the same formula as the OEM HP inks,as not all inks are made by the brand. They are OEM to the brand from other ink makers.
Some inks are generic and not color accurate. They may also have low quality standards and can have off spec mix and either it will not match up in color or it will not print the same way with certain papers.

If the saving is so little as $10-20 and you care about your prints, I would buy the brand name. But if you try one out and test it on your media and see if the color is ICC accurate, then you took a gamble and over the course of say a few years you saved $XXX dollars based on how much you print.

I used to do this with Epsons long time ago, and I also have some expereince and knowledge on the ink business.
When I get a chance, I should ask a friend of mine who owns/runs one of these plants (ink supply to OEM), and see if he would open up and tell me the lowdown regarding this.

I haven't cared too much as my usage over a year is not a big deal. but for someone cranking out prints on a regular basis, I can see this make a chunk of difference.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

aslowdodge

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 01:16:20 pm »

I realize there are the refill kits and such from China and Canada-but they are definitely non hp products.
I wanted to avoid these.
The cartridges I see here look like they are actual hp products though. The cost savings is about $250.
https://www.sundatasupply.com/products.php?subcatid=15511&catid=143&brandid=9&pge=

aslowdodge

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 02:03:09 pm »

Okay I called the company and these are not official HP inks so I guess they are out for me.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:50:15 pm »

Okay I called the company and these are not official HP inks so I guess they are out for me.

Yeah I would walk, no, RUN away from that stuff.  Keeping everything on track and running perfectly is already hard enough....
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

narikin

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 11:58:11 am »

Sounds like original HP carts refilled with another ink to me, with the chips reset to 'Full'

I would keep away if you are a fine art print maker.  These types of bulk ink supply are for sign makers and display printers, for whom perfect color balance and longevity, etc, is not so critical, but price is.  You will know which side of this line you stand on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up