Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: House at the top of the hill  (Read 1077 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
House at the top of the hill
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:32:06 am »

A long and scorching climb to a spot high above SF Bay led to this view. I'm working on a print of this from a brand new Canon PRO-100 and am afraid there is no way to do it justice with an sRGB jpeg.

BTW, these printers are a steal right now. I got one for $150 online through Amazon. The 8 ink tanks cost almost this much to replace, and it came with a full set, plus a sampler of the Canon Photo Pro Luster paper. The hardware was essentially free and the first prints look great!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: House at the top of the hill
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:40:41 am »

It's a different view - one we're not used to seeing. Thanks for sharing.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 05:55:28 pm »

Do you have a link for that price?  Amazon shows it at $335 on my screen.

Also, that appears to be a dye ink printer, not pigment. :(

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:25:13 pm »

I bought one with a 50 sheet box of 13x19 Canon Lustre for $400 from a local store. I'm getting a rebate of $300. So I either bought a box of paper and got a free printer or a printer for $100 and got a free box of paper. A really good deal.

Indeed it is dye printer. I like the way dye looks and it's supposed to be getting much better as far as permanence goes. The word is now that dye and pigment (on appropriate paper and with proper care) will both outlast wet prints.

BTW, The Canon PRO100 has black, gray, and light grey (along with 5 color tanks). My very first B&W print from the machine, on Ilford Gold Mono (a sample pack I was given at the store), was so good I'm considering closing my darkroom.   

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:19 pm »

Thanks, Richard.  I see on Amazon a couple of rebates that I'd overlooked.  Looks like you have to have a specific credit card to take advantage of it, though.

Good news on the dye inks and good news on closing your chemical darkroom.  I probably had a half dozen of them over the years and I don't miss 'em one bit.

Nor do I miss my Pentax 6X7 : )

Happy printing!

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:44:12 pm »

Well my big Pentax was traded for a 50D. Ripped my heart out. That was my go to camera for many years. I never liked color darkroom work but B&W was so satisfying. I shall miss the smell of acetic acid and the faint orange glow. Oh well...

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:24:42 pm »

Some of the rebates are actually credited to an AMEX card that They send you.

So, you then use the card to pay for something else (or maybe cash in if it allows it). Presumably you would then cancel the credit card before the monthly fees for "being a member" kick in -- 6 months in the fine print I read online.

In my case, it was just a small reseller with a really low price, not a rebate.

The dye inks are really excellent. At least as good, if not better than local Noritsu RC paper prints and Bay Photo's laser prints on Kodak Endura or Fuji Pearl papers. ICC softproofing worked perfectly out of the box, and with three gray/black inks, the monochrome prints should be good as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up