Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Road to Toroweap  (Read 1918 times)

sierraman

Road to Toroweap
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:47 pm »

I brought this subject up last year and after words of advise from the good people here I finally made it to Toroweap. I decided not to make the drive in a rental vehicle and went with Dreamland Safari Tours. The guide on the tour was super nice and knew the area well. It's a 24 hour tour (12:00-12:00) so you have both sunrise and sunset photo ops. The first 50 miles or so on the dirt road wasn't bad at all. The next 8-9 miles were a bit tougher but still not too bad. The last couple of miles were only for high clearance/ 4wd vehicles! I knew I made the right choice of hiring a guide service as there was no way someone could make it through this area without off-road driving experience.

francois

Re: Road to Toroweap
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 03:18:56 am »

Thanks for reporting. The rough road with all the bumps & hiccups is really worth it.
Francois

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:56:41 pm »

I remember your earlier thread...glad the trip worked out well for you.

cmburns

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:24:32 am »

Unless this has gotten much worse in the last two years I'd disagree that you need a pro to get there. My wife and I rented a 4wd in Vegas. Not some crazy Jeep, just a Ford SUV type thing. She drove, and had no trouble getting all the way to Toroweap campground. Her previous 4wd experience was zero.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:20:32 am »

The road wasn't particularly technical. Many roads of this sort don't really 'require' 4 wheel drive. But the critical part is the high clearance. There were/are a couple of pretty good steps down near the campground that need to be negotiated. Everyone has different comfort levels and skill sets. The OP did his research and made the trip in the manor which was best for him. I'm glad he had a good time. I have had quite a bit of off-road experience with a mildly lifted Tacoma 4x4 truck, and it would be my recommendation that this particular road not be attempted without an appropriate vehicle, ie. a high clearance 4x4 (also recommended by the BLM). It is a VERY long way to a garage for help...

framah

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 11:43:57 am »

There are, if I remember, 3 roads out to the point. The shortest one is from a small town on the road out to the north rim where the "tourists" go. I hit the BLM office for directions to TP and they were quite helpful.
At that blinking light, turn right and head out to a road in the fencing and off you go.

Back in the late 80's. I went out there in a rented a 5 liter Mustang from the airport in Vegas.  I remember the rangers cabin with a swing set in the yard but no one around. I kept going to the end and when the sign said high clearance vehicles only, i figured as  it was a rental, who cares. When i heard scraping noises, I backed up and tried again.

I  parked the car, walked about 100 ft and there was the edge of the GC!!

No one around, no cigarette butts, no tour busses or groups... no nothing!!!  The road was mostly washboard dirt and a talcum like red powder.

Sad to hear there are now tour groups heading out there. It would most definitely ruin the exeperience!

]
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

sierraman

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 10:43:29 pm »

Yes, there are a few tour groups that go to Toroweap. The tour group that I went with (5 people) were the only people that were at Toroweap and that was on a Saturday/Sunday. Our tour operator wasn't a photo guide and pretty much let us explore the area on our own. The guide made sure that when we left the campground (we were the only people there), we left it cleaner then when we arrived.
Pages: [1]   Go Up