Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: T/S adapter: 645 to EOS  (Read 3305 times)

NancyP

T/S adapter: 645 to EOS
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:09:29 pm »

I was idly browsing when I noticed a 120mm f/4 macro manual focus manual aperture MF lens sitting in the used section of the local shop - didn't look too closely. I am pretty sure that it is a Mamiya mount. Could be Pentax A mount. Lightbulb went on after I got home - could this lens be adapted to my current Canon full frame camera? Why bother?

1. Can this be adapted to be a true T/S macro lens for a 35mm FF camera? I would think that the image circle ought to be sufficient. There's well over 20mm of difference between Mamiya flange-film distance and Canon flange-sensor distance.
2. Mirex adapter - any good? Zoerk adapter - good? Any other suggestions? Anyone have one for sale?

I am intrigued by the thought of T/S true macro - to be able to pick the composition and the plane of focus at the same time.

Yes, it is true that I have NO experience with T/S. Yes, I am moderately patient. No, I don't throw stuff when I get frustrated and don't understand how to do something. For that matter, I have no MF or view camera experience. I do like manual lenses, and particularly those with "manual/auto" switches enabling one to pre-set desired aperture. I have a few of those sitting around from the old days, but for 35mm.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Re: T/S adapter: 645 to EOS
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:32:07 pm »

Hi Nancy,

I use a Horseman VCC adaptor with my Nikon D800E and this is invaluable for my business.

http://www.kenko-pi.co.jp/horseman/e/VCCpro/index.html

Unfortunately they do not make a Pentax mount.

I have checked on EBay and you can get a Canon to Pentax and a Nikon to Pentax adaptors so you should be able to mount your pentax the the Horseman VCC adaptor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-mount-Lens-to-Pentax-K-PK-mount-adapter-with-Optical-Glass-and-Caps-/271252878101?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item3f27ee7315

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lens-adapter-Nikon-AI-F-mount-lens-to-Pentax-PK-K-mout-camera-with-optical-glass-/151065258197?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item232c30e8d5

By the way I am selling my old Horseman VCC on EBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221263459515?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Conner999

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:35:09 am »

I've used the Mamiya 120/4 on Canon and now on D3s/D800e with a 'normal' adapter - incredible lens. I've used the Mirex adapter briefly, seems very well made and I know it gets strong user reviews.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:57 am »

The Zork adapter will give you shift up to 18mm.  Excellent device.  When i used it on EOS they did not offer tilt. But that may have changed.  I used the Pentax 35mm FA, 45mm manual, and 150mm manual.  All good glass and except for the 35FA very inexpensive. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:29:06 am »

Thank you, everyone. The Horseman is too expensive. The appeal of the Mirex/Zoerk approach is that the lenses appear to be relatively inexpensive, as are the mounts - possibly resulting in T/S for under $1,000.00. I will be going back to the store and checking out the lens for real - I need a manual aperture ring, and if the lens is automatic, it is useless to me.

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:10 pm »

I can recommend the Mirex solution, I have tested them for some time and after this I was so convinced by it, that we are now also selling them.
By far the most exact TS Adapter solution right now on the market.

We can ship them internationally. In case of interest please email me at s.steib@hartblei.de

Regards
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:48:41 pm »

I wish I could use my old Bronica lenses on my d800.  Another cheaper alternative is to use nikon or canon lenses on a mico 4/3 camera.  I bought an adapter the tilts for $50 on flea bay. Here is Harry Potter's grave.

ondebanks

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:33:54 pm »

I wish I could use my old Bronica lenses on my d800. 

Which Bronica fitting do you have? Fotodiox sell Bronica ETR and SQ lens adapters to Nikon bodies.

Ray

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »

Thank you, everyone. I knew I could expect a variety of expertise and experience here at LuLa. I am still pondering what to do: old MF lens plus Mirex, vs. Canon TS-E 90mm plus extension ring (apparently works up to 0.6x with a 25mm ring), vs. the enlarging lens plus Zoerk, vs. sit on my hands and checkbook for a while, on the rumor that the new Canon TS-E "replacement" for the TS-E 90 will be a 90-100mm macro TS. Because I am not a pro, I don't have to make up my mind soon for a particular job.

Pics2

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 12:51:46 pm »

It would be smart choice to buy new version of Canon TS lens. The problem with older MF lenses (used via adapter) is their poor performance on digital cameras (like I said I used Kiev Pentacon lenses on Canon 5DII). I need to add a lot of Contrast and Clarity in C1 and it still doesn't look so good, it looks too soft (compared to newer Canon, Nikon, Mamiya etc lenses), it's just not good enough.
On the other hand, I'm sure that new Canon TS lens will be expensive, somewhere in the range of Horseman VCC pro, which is much more versatile solution.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 12:15:13 am »

Hi Nancy,

My basic set up (for Architectural work) includes the Canon 17 and 24 TSE's (with the 1.4xIII adapter).  We then have a Zoerk adapter (with Tripod mount) that we use with variety of Pentax 645 lenses.  the FA35mm, A55mm, A75mm, A120mm and A200mm.  It's an excellent adapter that provides movements (either front or rear movements depending on what is mounted to the tripod).  We want to pick up a good copy of the 45mm and the 150mm.

I personally find it invaluable as it allows me a selection of focal lengths that Canon do not provide.  The copies of the Pentax 35, 75, 120 that we have are 'exceptional' on our 5dmkII's.  the 120 is becoming my favorite lens for studio work and I'm contemplating purchasing the Mirex adapter as I'd like the ability to 'Tilt' (which the Zoerk) currently does not provide. My only wish with the Mirex is that I could mount the lens to the tripod as the 120Macro is a very heavy lens.  (And I want to try out the Pentax A*300-even heavier)

If you have any other questions about the Pentax line up drop me a PM.  I'm on assignment at the moment so it may take a couple of days to get back to you.

Cheers

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up