Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: French River, Ontario  (Read 1138 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
French River, Ontario
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:09 am »

For centuries, the French River was the main conduit into Canada's interior for couriers des bois, voyagers and explorers. Now it is a quiet haven for cottagers, canoeists, kayakers and anglers. I spent a few days up there with canoe and backcountry instructor Marty Tannahill of PaddleIn. We had all kinds of weather, which, as is typical, made for great photography. Here are four from our trip. There is more info on my blog and more photos on my Flickr page.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Arlen

Re: French River, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 02:30:24 pm »

I really enjoyed the pictures Terry, and especially the way you put them in context in the story on your blog. You even got me to look on a map to see exactly where the French River lies. Of the images here, I really like the third one for its intricate and nuanced cloud pattern in sky and water, anchored by the foreground rock. I also like the fourth one, again for the patterns but I also find the tonal layout quite compelling.

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 01:34:44 am »

I really like the 2nd one.

I'm wondering if the very far right has some trees that are either naturally curved in, or if a little lens distortion is accentuating the curve a bit. It seems to be the only thing keeping it from perfection.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:37:25 am by gerafotografija »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:49:24 am »

I really like the 2nd one.

I'm wondering if the very far right has some trees that are either naturally curved in, or if a little lens distortion is accentuating the curve a bit. It seems to be the only thing keeping it from perfection.

The trees are naturally curved to some degree, but the photograph was made with a Nikkor 20mm so distortion is creeping in as well, despite being corrected in LR. I have increased the distortion correction on the attached version. Thanks for noticing!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 03:29:06 pm »

All good, but I especially like #3 for its balance, foreground object pointing at (!) an interesting reflection, and the indirect inclusion of a big, colorful sky.

churly

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:58:20 pm »

I like what you have done with all of these.  For a reason I can't identify, I find the first one particularly interesting.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich
Pages: [1]   Go Up