Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My evening ritual.  (Read 1351 times)

leuallen

My evening ritual.
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:31 pm »

There is this little lake about 2 miles from my home and every evening when there are clouds and it looks like a nice sunset, I go over and take a few photos. This it this evenings catch.

It is the perfect time of the year for this spot as the sun is in a good position. Last week the sun would have been to the right and covered by the trees. Next week it will be too much too the left. The setting sun is moving to the south at a pretty fast clip and the days are getting shorter.

I usually put the tripod in the same place and shoot wide at between 9-12mm (m43, 18-24mm ff). It is interesting comparing the different sunsets and different times of the year. I don't usually shoot long as it is usually not interesting but tonight with the suns position it was an exception.

Larry

stamper

Re: My evening ritual.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:21:41 am »

The first one is tremendous, not so keen on the second because I am not a fan of the burnt out look. If it was mine I would add a little yellow to the burnout area and it would - imo - look better. The first could have a little yellow added but it isn't as noticeable. The eye seems to be drawn to it. You can frame the first and hang it on any wall for it to be admired. :)

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 07:16:48 am »

I like both photos but the first one, with the large and wide view is more to my taste.
Francois

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:48 am »

What a great routine. Like writing and composing, photography also benefits from routine. Returning to the same place repeatedly over a period of time leads to insights and moments that a passerby would never see. One becomes less an opportunist and more a part of the daily and seasonal patterns. Nicely done!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:01:48 am »

I like both photos but the first one, with the large and wide view is more to my taste.

+1

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:02:24 am »

What a great routine. Like writing and composing, photography also benefits from routine. Returning to the same place repeatedly over a period of time leads to insights and moments that a passerby would never see. One becomes less an opportunist and more a part of the daily and seasonal patterns. Nicely done!

Another excellent, insightful post.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:34:49 am »

Another excellent, insightful post.

Indeed.  Luxborealis' experience as a teacher is always evident in his concise, informative criticisms.

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:39:08 pm »

Tomorrow through Friday is my full moon to gibbous waning routine, at least when the clouds aren't in the way: Photo the moon-rise colored by prior sunset. I am afraid that my location is less than glamorous - the roof of the parking garage at work - fine view of St. Louis city skyline with Arch.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 06:21:33 pm »

^The classic example of a recurrent artistic study was done Claude Monet with his studies of haystacks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haystacks_(Monet)

leuallen, your images are delicious!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:23:05 pm by Justan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up