Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended resources for improving your wildlife photography  (Read 1670 times)

dwnelson

Recommended resources for improving your wildlife photography
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:37:51 pm »

Hello all,

I love wildlife photography and I'm looking into getting better. Equipment aside, what are some of your favorite resources?

Favorite books? (I have an old John Shaw instruction book, and two Frans Lanting books - Eye to Eye and Jungles)

Favorite magazines? (Nature Photographer)

Favorite websites/blogs?

Favorite resources for learning about local wildlife? (I live in Northern California)

I'm thinking about getting books of California wildlife photography and seeing what others are photographing.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Recommended resources for improving your wildlife photography
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:49:06 pm »

The two most important resources for wildlife photography are time and patience. No book can ever teach you those. The third most important resource is knowledge of wildlife habits and habitats. Books can get you part of the way, but being out in nature everyday is the only way to really get a grasp of it.

I know this is not what you were asking for, but really, when it comes down to it, if you have the equipment, the next more important thing to spend time on is tracking and waiting for wildlife. Most of the other stuff about blinds, wildlife etiquette, etc. you can learn online. The "where and when" to go can only really be learned by getting out there and talking to the people who work with wildlife.

I was once told that if you want to make great wildlife photos - start with squirrels in your backyard or a local park. If you have the time and patience to photograph them well. then you are ready for the serious stuff. I quickly learned that I don't, so my photography revolves around landscapes, the easy-to-photograph wildlife of East Africa and the wildlife I see "along the way" here in Ontario.

Good Luck!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

dwnelson

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 12:52:25 am »

All excellent points, thank you. Wildlife guides or conservationists would be the best resources for local wildlife.

I have done quite a bit of wildlife photography myself, including backyard squirrels. I have a background in sports photography, so I am good at capturing the decisive moment (hint: know your gear and burn through memory cards!).

I want to take it to the next level and be inspired by other wildlife photographers. I feel like I am an island right now but I have a lot of passion and desire to get better, and I'm looking to branch out and see what others are doing.

I know Frans Lanting lives in nearby Santa Cruz, and he has workshops every now and then. They are expensive but may be worth it.

I attached a photo I took a few days ago of gull eating a crab. I am thinking of naming it "It's a Bad Day to be a Crab."

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:31:23 am »

I know that all generalisations are dangerous  :-\ but, as a generalisation, you will probably advance more quickly in wildlife photography if you concentrate upon developing your fieldcraft expertise rather than your photographic knowledge. Getting close to the animal and shooting (where possible) from the animal's eye level are key skills. That and, as said above, becoming knowledgeable about the natural history of the species you are "hunting" and the ecology of their habitats.

"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:19:20 am »

There is nothing like actually shooting - practice if you like.
Sports photography is a good lead in to the discipline of wildlife photograph.
Depending on what you are shooting a lot of research may be required into learning about the habits, diet and perhaps nesting of the animal/bird in question.
The fieldcraft issue is an important one because some experience and inventiveness may be required to get into a position for a useful image.
Even more work may be required to achieve a unique perspective.
Terry mentioned time and patience - in fact months to years may be required to get the shot.
Adaptability is crucial - an initial approach may seem valid but simply does not work - move on and try something else.

All this stuff sounds a bit cliched but actually if you can really use a DSLR with a 500-600 mm lens on it then getting a noteworthy shot goes well beyond well known 'techniques' - you may need to invent the technique!

Tony Jay

Colorado David

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:02:53 am »

There are a number of photographers whose images routinely make the covers of the outdoor magazines.  Almost all of those shots are of animal that are habituated to the presence of humans in parks.  I'm not talking about game farms where you can go and rent a grizzly bear with a trainer for the morning, although there are a lot of those.  These are photographers who use the park system to their advantage to be able to approach animals that would otherwise be gone in a heartbeat once they either smelled you or heard the sound of a shutter.  If you want to photograph truly wild animals that are not habituated and maintain their natural fear of predators, of which you are now one, then spend some time practicing in parks.  I am not suggesting that you violate the park rules for approaching animals or ethical standards about pressuring animals.  But you can get a lot of experience being in the presence of animals that would take years in a truly wild population.

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:25:38 am »

The two most important resources for wildlife photography are time and patience. No book can ever teach you those. The third most important resource is knowledge of wildlife habits and habitats. Books can get you part of the way, but being out in nature everyday is the only way to really get a grasp of it.

I know this is not what you were asking for, but really, when it comes down to it, if you have the equipment, the next more important thing to spend time on is tracking and waiting for wildlife. Most of the other stuff about blinds, wildlife etiquette, etc. you can learn online. The "where and when" to go can only really be learned by getting out there and talking to the people who work with wildlife.

I was once told that if you want to make great wildlife photos - start with squirrels in your backyard or a local park. If you have the time and patience to photograph them well. then you are ready for the serious stuff. I quickly learned that I don't, so my photography revolves around landscapes, the easy-to-photograph wildlife of East Africa and the wildlife I see "along the way" here in Ontario.

Good Luck!

This is awesome advice!

Your third piece of advice I would consider the most important, and that is the greatest knowledge a wildlife photographer can possess is knowledge of his subject, its habits and preferred terrain, followed secondly by having down the rudiments of light and photography. I have a blog post that provides a case study of this point. In a nutshell, I was searching for a Red Widow Spider, of which I had only a small amount of knowledge. Basically, this spider is only found in Florida, and only within certain, specific microhabitats within that state.

I thought I had done my research, and spent an entire day searching-and-searching, to no avail. What I had done in my haste to get out there looking for it was omit a few "minor details" of its preferred habitat from my study. Fortunately, with the aid of a smartphone and some internet research, I picked up on these details ... drove to a slightly different habitat ... and whollah! found what I was looking for and was able to get my photographs. Therefore, absolutely, if a person is looking for very specific creatures out in the wild, studying these creatures and really understanding their preferred habitats, eating preferences, time of day/night seen, etc. is vital to success.

Another example, I was part of an expedition where a different new species of jumping spider was discovered ... and I had the privilege of going with the scientist who had previously discovered it. This species was found in the Ocala National Forest in central Florida. Yet it wasn't found "just anywhere" in this forest, but only in areas that had Rusty Lyonia and Scrub Oak together. Another species of crab spider was found only on False Rosemary plant. These were the only types of foliage these creatures could be found on.

These may be extreme examples, but if a person didn't know these incredibly important details (or have access to a scientist who knew them), they could literally "spend all day looking" through other parts of the forest and never find a thing.

Hope this helps,

Jack
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:34:17 am by MacroPhotoPro »

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:55:34 pm »

How are your ID skills? In addition to the dead-tree field guides, there are increasing numbers of phone and pad/tablet apps with short summaries for each species. The Audubon Eastern US bird guide has photo(s), range and habitat information, and short clips of bird song for each species.

If you are photographing close to home, find the local nature photography club or birder's, herp, or other nature study group. Sometimes local groups or local authors will have guides for the local area, eg, Birds of the St. Louis MO Area. There are various listservs for reports of sightings, and for birds, these are by state.

I have a Canon 400mm f/5.6 non-stabilized lens on an APS-C camera, and mostly shoot hand-held. At first I couldn't get the dratted bird in the viewfinder or pan worth a darn, let alone get the center autofocus point over the bird. I practiced on city park robins, sparrows, and pigeons - anything small with unpredictable movement. It took me a long while before I could feel confident that I would get the desired bird in flight in focus. Now I practice on swallows and sea gulls feeding. If I can get some individual swallows in focus, I have had a good day - not easy.

Isaac

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 07:35:41 pm »

Favorite books?

Digital Wildlife Photography, John and Barbara Gerlach, 2013.

(Probably available through your local library, given that Sunnyvale Library have a copy.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up