Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Landscape Mirrorless Equipment  (Read 18580 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Suggestions for Landscape Mirrorless Equipment
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 06:03:45 am »

I now have converted fully from Canon FF to Fuji X, no regrets. I shoot landscape and travel, and am using two XE-1's and 14 and 35mm lenses. This system is very good and very simple to use.

shadowblade

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 06:19:33 am »

I now have converted fully from Canon FF to Fuji X, no regrets. I shoot landscape and travel, and am using two XE-1's and 14 and 35mm lenses. This system is very good and very simple to use.

Surely you can't get the same image quality from a crop sensor, though, unless you're stitching panoramas.

Petrus

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 07:29:50 am »

Surely you can't get the same image quality from a crop sensor, though, unless you're stitching panoramas.

Sensor size is not the only thing which determines the quality. When I first got my X-Pro1 I tested it against Canon 5DII and found it to be equal in image quality and sharpness and better in DR and high ISO, even if the Canon is FF and has more pixels. Sigma Merrills are sharper than any DSLR except D800, and they also have smaller sensors.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:31:32 am by Petrus »

Manoli

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 07:34:28 am »

.. against Canon 5DII and found it to be equal in image quality and sharpness and better in DR and low ISO..

.. and at high ISO it 'rocks' too (not only against the 5DII) .

Petrus

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 08:31:09 am »

.. and at high ISO it 'rocks' too (not only against the 5DII) .

My mistake, I meant high ISO...

fixed...

scooby70

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 08:47:25 am »

A low to middle ISO's, on screen and in prints up to A3 no one can pick my MFT shots from my 5D shots at anything better than chance.

You really have to try these smaller chip cameras to see the image quality they're capable of.

If I was happy with night time shooting I'd sell all my 5D gear, if there were any buyers... it seems like everyone is moving to smaller systems.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:49:42 am by scooby70 »

shadowblade

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »

A low to middle ISO's, on screen and in prints up to A3 no one can pick my MFT shots from my 5D shots at anything better than chance.

You really have to try these smaller chip cameras to see the image quality they're capable of.

If I was happy with night time shooting I'd sell all my 5D gear, if there were any buyers... it seems like everyone is moving to smaller systems.

I think the difference is that I never print as small as A3 - 24x36 is my regular frame, with 32x48 being common, as well as 20x60, 24x72 and 32x96 panoramas (made by shifting a tilt-shift lens).

scooby70

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 05:44:25 pm »

The comment still stands - You really have to try these smaller chip cameras to see the image quality they're capable of.

Another point, whenever I think that kit isn't up to the job I look at the results that others are getting with the same kit and I then usually change my mind and realise that the problem isn't the kit, it's me not getting the best out of it :D

Telecaster

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »

Personally, if I were making McMansion prints I'd go whole hog and invest in an MF back, or even a BetterLight, and a technical camera. (I have a Wista 4x5 but it lacks the movement breadth & precision of a proper tech camera.) But since my largest print size is in the 15x20" range the current m43 sensors are plenty good enough. And the best four-thirds & m43 lenses are truly first-rate. Not to mention that I don't print nearly as much as I used to.

-Dave-

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 08:33:10 pm »

With proper technique*, the smaller mirrorless can produce excellent large prints, certainly comparable to the older full frame cameras like my 5D2. Pixel-peeping will show some differences, of course, but prints look very good. I'm just about ready to sell my personal Canon gear in favor of my Fuji kit. (I'll keep the Canon 1-series cameras that I use at work; can't shoot a football game with the Fuji, alas.)

(*good tripod, careful focus, cable release -- the usual stuff, in other words.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 09:16:32 pm »

Hi,

Wide angles will probably have issues with lens cast. Leica M uses a specially made sensor + software to handle that.

Best regards
Erik

Not necessarily.

Sony body plus Leica M lenses with an adapter may be a good combination.
Erik Kaffehr

Petrus

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 11:59:56 pm »

Wide angles will probably have issues with lens cast. Leica M uses a specially made sensor + software to handle that.

I have, among others, noticed that with Fuji-X bodies the excellent Voigtländer wide-angles produce inferior results compared to the dedicated Fujinon XF lenses of similar focal length. This shows very clearly at the corners, even though the Voigtländers are full frame design. They just sit too close to the sensor for comfort.

Telecaster

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 01:32:18 pm »

I have, among others, noticed that with Fuji-X bodies the excellent Voigtländer wide-angles produce inferior results compared to the dedicated Fujinon XF lenses of similar focal length. This shows very clearly at the corners, even though the Voigtländers are full frame design. They just sit too close to the sensor for comfort.

Yes, and not just the Voigtländers. I've been less than impressed with nearly all of my wide RF lenses both on Fuji X and m43 cameras. The wide I'm using on the X-E1 is the 1980s Leitz 21mm. It's not the sharpest of the bunch but it has the most even performance center to corners. No corner fringing or excessive falloff either.

-Dave-

degrub

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 08:51:06 pm »

May have to do with the angle of incidence of the light ray from the lens and the shape of the microlens . I remember reading about one of the camera manufacturers ( Leica ? ) having to make adjustment in design.
Just a thought,

Frank

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 11:53:39 pm »

Obviously, if you make really large prints, as you seem to, then perhaps not, or maybe yes? You should give it a try, as others have said. I normally do not shot above 1600 ISO, so the little Fujis hold pretty well too. And the lenses are truly fantastic, especially the 14, there is simply no distortion, which for me is very importante (I shot a lot of seascpaes, so I like the horizon straight).

Bottom line, I am saving a lot of weight, without any visible compromises in my photography.

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 08:13:00 pm »

really? it's better than the Canon D5 2 and 24 TS 2? Do you have some examples to prove that?

thisgunforhire

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 01:04:02 am »

I recently sold my Canon EOS 5D Mark II and all lenses.  I was finding I wasn't using this system because the camera and lens were too heavy to lug around.  I shoot landscape photography primarily.  I am considering purchasing a mirrorless camera and currently have my sights on the Sony NEX 7.  I would appreciate your thoughts on this camera and others, as well as the best group of lens for landscape photography.

Additionally, I retained my Gitzo tripod.  Any suggestions on ball heads and quick release plates for the mirrorless camera?

Thanks,

Rex

With the right lenses, the NEX-7 is a wonderful performer with a few drawbacks for a landscape photographer.  There are a lot of complaints about how bracketing's been implemented.  I don't use bracketing, so I don't follow the conversations, but if you use it, you'll want to look into it.  There's also the issue of no cabled release.  You're dependent on I/R for a remote release, and even with Sony's OEM remote it has to be slightly in front of the camera to be recognized.  If you go to the 6, you get wifi, so you can remotely fire via tablet or cell phone, but you lose the resolution of the 24MP sensor. 

NEX-7 with Canon FD 50/1.2L @ f/5.6

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 04:48:54 am »

I've been a Canon shooter since high school and my class is having our 40th reunion next weekend. My current Canon bodies are the 1Ds Mark III and 5D Mark III. I have a variety of Canon "L" glass and Zeiss primes. Love them all!

Most of my photography is either street, family or travel. I purchased the Fuji X-E1 a month ago along with the Fuji 18-55 and 55-200 zooms and the Zeiss 12mm and 32mm Touit prime lenses. After playing with these and pixel peeping using Lightroom 5.2 for a few weeks, I'm really impressed with the image quality. The lenses are all tack sharp and the Fuji X-trans sensor is remarkable for color, sharpness and low-noise. I'm in love with the compact size and low weight. I can fit the whole system into a small Tenba Mini Messenger bag and carry it all day long. In contrast, my Canon 5D with 24-105 L lens and 16-35 zoom in a backpack weighs a lot more.

Now, I just listed my Canon 1Ds Mark III for sale in this forum. I will keep the 5D Mark III because the focusing is awesomely fast for action photography. I plan to only take my Fuji X-E1 on my next vacation to Spain next summer. I also just ordered the awesome Fuji X100S as the travel back up camera and to use for very discreet street photography as it is very small and virtually silent.

I did check out the other mirrorless systems, but settled on Fuji X because of the overwhelming amount of good press they are receiving from pros and advanced amateurs for a lighter, more compact solution with no sacrifices in image quality than lugging around FF DSLRs.

Check out this website for firsthand stories: http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/

Cheers,
Bud James
Doylestown, PA

Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up