Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountain cattle  (Read 1631 times)

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
Mountain cattle
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:44:42 am »

At nearly 7000 ft altitude in the Austrian Alps. There is some promise of rain after a hot and dry period.

Boudewijn Swanenburg

sdwilsonsct

Re: Mountain cattle
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 03:36:53 pm »

Nice sky. The composition reminds me of my own struggles to isolate a story when there are many potentially interesting objects to include. There may be too many elements here to make  compelling image. Bears repeated visits with various lenses and compositions?

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:27:28 pm »

Nice sky. The composition reminds me of my own struggles to isolate a story when there are many potentially interesting objects to include. There may be too many elements here to make  compelling image. Bears repeated visits with various lenses and compositions?
Scott's points very well taken.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:39:21 pm »

This is a gorgeous and understated pastoral. It is both painterly in nature and very enjoyable to observe.

I know of some who would have modified that nice foot trail so it appears to lead back to the ridge top and barn rather than out of the frame.

But small quibbles aside, this is nicely done.

mokenny

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:12 pm »

Overall the lighting is great, However, I think the compostion could be better as the two cows in the lower right of the photo seems distracting.
I also feel it would look great in B&W
My two cents worth.
But great job

Mo Kenny

Peter Stacey

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:25:51 pm »

I agree with most of the other posts. The composition is not focused enough to tell a single story, but has the potential to tell many stories.

I hope you don't mind, but one crop (and slight movement of one cow in Lightroom) that to me is a cleaner more compelling image would be to crop much tighter:

[img width=80 height=11]http://peterstac

stamper

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 03:32:11 am »

If you split the image vertically about two thirds from the left and two thirds from the right then there are two possible images. This could have been framed at the time but it isn't too late. A nice scene that could be explored more.  :)

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 04:54:44 am »

Nice shot! Yes the cut of the path is a little disturbing, the poles, perhaps of a ski lift, in the background disturb a little bit too. But... but... there is something really sad to me in this photo: the cows. What cows are they? Are they maybe the horrible, industrial, globalized Red Holstein (and even with a horrible pink nose) ?  Where are the noble and pretty  :-* Braunvieh?    Tu quoque, Austria ? :'(

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:56:31 am by muntanela »

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 10:36:31 am »

Thanks everyone for the various comments. Much appreciated. Lesson learned: I should have been more alert for alternative framing opportunities while beeing there, like simply a few steps forward and a few steps left.

On the other hand, the fact that the image may tell more then one story may keep ones eyes wandering about. That's what attracted me in the first place to this scene.

I don't know 'make and year' of the cows, but they seem to merge nicely with the landscape.

Boudewijn
Pages: [1]   Go Up