Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cannon 40d frame rate and file size  (Read 1422 times)

superqaz

cannon 40d frame rate and file size
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:01:17 am »

2 questions>

anyone know if the cannon 40d can shoot the very fast frames per second rate in aperture or shutter priority mode, as far as i can see this fast rate is only available in sports mode.

these are large raw files

why cant i see  that the bit depth is 14 [approx], as it apparently is for that camera. and why are the raw file sizes only approx 10mb when according to my stock agency they should [for the 40d] be nearly twice the size. before the file get opened in any software it reads approx 10mb

thanks
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:26:32 am by superqaz »

Tony Jay

Re: cannon 40d frame rate and file size
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:43:46 am »

The Canon 40D is a 10 MB camera.
It shoots at about 5-6 frames/second max.

Tony Jay

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:27:39 am »

The 40d is 10 megapixels. I think the maximum frame rate is 6.5fps for about 15 or 16 raw files. That frame rate is available in any of the manual or user controlled modes. (Just ignore the "sports mode.")
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:52:19 am »

File size will vary depending on iso as well as the subject content in the image. A shot of a textureless solid color grey wall or of only cloudless blue sky may give a small file size because there not much information to capture.  No or very little noise, detail etc.  But, a capture of a crowd of people shot at  high iso will be the opposite....a large file size due to lots of details and noise.  I am away from home and cannot look at any of my old 40d cr2 files.

Greg D

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 01:30:29 pm »

If you're not getting 6.5 fps shooting RAW, make sure all high ISO & long shutter speed noise reduction as well as auto lighting optimizer is turned off.  Even if you're not using long shutter speeds (which obviously you're not if you're shooting continuously) or high ISOs it'll still slow the camera down.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:59:23 pm »

The 40D can also be write speed limited by quality of CF card. Make sure you have a very fast one.

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 01:46:54 pm »

If you're not getting 6.5 fps shooting RAW, make sure all high ISO & long shutter speed noise reduction as well as auto lighting optimizer is turned off.  Even if you're not using long shutter speeds (which obviously you're not if you're shooting continuously) or high ISOs it'll still slow the camera down.

I seem to remember when I had a 40D there was a limitation with the shutter speed that the full 6.5fps wasn't possible at simply the inverse of the framerate (e.g., 1/6.5=.15 sec, or next fastest).  You had to be at something like 1/200 or 1/250 to actually achieve the top framerate.

superqaz

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:20:26 am »

all of this this is very interesting, i will now look for the cause
will report back after testing :)
thanks all
Pages: [1]   Go Up