Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Merge to HDR Pro "Set White Point Preview" changes image?  (Read 3781 times)

darlingm

• Westland Printworks

EDIT: Solved, see post three if you wish.

File->Automate->Merge to HDR Pro
Checked - Attempt to automatically align source images
Browse, select 9 NEF (RAW) files
Unchecked - remove ghosts
Mode 32-bit

Now, there's a histogram and a slider below it labeled "Set White Point Preview".  I've read a ton of websites that say this slider just has to do with the preview on the screen, and doesn't actually affect the image.

On these set of images, the slider defaults to around 78% based on my guess, it doesn't give a percentage.

If I hit OK, then repeat this process again but change that slider (for demonstration purposes, all the way to the left or right), the resulting 32-bit image is different!

Each image opens up with the 32-bit exposure slider in the bottom left centered at what I would call 50%.  Since both images have this slider at the same point, I would expect there to be no visible difference when switching between the multiple open files.

I've done this several times to make sure I'm not missing something simple.

What's going on here?  Is this slider supposed to change the image?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:10:15 pm by darlingm »
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: Merge to HDR Pro "Set White Point Preview" changes image?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 05:02:39 pm »

Why am I going this route?  I want to use Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2 for the tone mapping, however it doesn't accept RAW files.  I also like non-destructive workflows, and found that if I Merge to HDR Pro, then convert the result to a smart object, Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2 nicely works as a smart object filter.  I've found I really like the result using this process.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: Merge to HDR Pro "Set White Point Preview" changes image?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:10:02 pm »

Under the View menu, there's "32-Bit Preview Options".  In there are exposure and gamma values.

I didn't know there was more affecting the preview than the exposure slider in the lower left.

Changing the "Set White Point Preview" slider affects what default values are set for exposure and gamma in the 32-bit preview options.

Opening the same files through HDR, using different white point preview slider spots, then setting the 32-bit preview options to be the same values displays the files identically.

So the files weren't different as I originally thought, just how it was being shown on the screen due to having to map 32-bits onto the monitor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up