Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orange Rock  (Read 1712 times)

Andres Bonilla

Orange Rock
« on: August 17, 2013, 04:40:31 pm »

I liked the color and texture of this rock against the blue sky, what do you think?

francois

Re: Orange Rock
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 05:46:43 am »

I like it as shape & color combination… Orange and blue produce a very graphic image.

If it were a pure landscape photo, I would say that the blue is a bit over the top for my taste.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:29:08 am »

It's very strong and very striking. I think blue skies like that may exist, perhaps in Arizona, but it has an air of unreality about it.

Jeremy

degrub

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:30:23 am »

Does anyone else see it as a large perched owl with one eye looking at us ?
Frank

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:13:59 pm »

Thank you! This was in the Valley of Fire, Nevada. I usually find that I get this blue skys when I try not to over expose the rocks, I guess that the sky saturates a bit, I did not use a polarizer or went to the right with the saturation slider. Actually this photo required very little saturation boost because the rocks had deep colors and the sun was blasting!!

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:22:11 pm »

Thank you! This location is gorgeous and when I first showed another photo to a coworker he thought it was a 3D rendering, he insisted I had manipulated the shape of the rocks but the place is like that. I think it is a very good place to photograph.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:23:11 pm »

Wow, now I have to look for it :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 04:40:44 pm »

I think it is a very good place to photograph.

+2
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 04:53:14 pm »

I think it is a very good place to photograph.

Andres, I agree. Here's one I took last year, of elephant rock. Looking at it again, I withdraw unreservedly my earlier comments. I too have done nothing to the sky!

Jeremy

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »

I love Elephant Rock, this time time I tried the HDR thing but I have to get used to the look of it. There are lots of  locations that are breathtaking.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 01:02:40 pm »

Andres, I agree. Here's one I took last year, of elephant rock. Looking at it again, I withdraw unreservedly my earlier comments. I too have done nothing to the sky!

Jeremy

On a clear summer day the sky is unusually blue in the western United States, but I think all of my digital cameras' sensors tend to over-saturate the blue sky. It always was true with Kodachrome too, but then, Kodachrome always over-saturated all the colors. Sometimes it pays to crank down the blue saturation a bit. The result is more believable. There's a perfect blue sky outside my studio this morning here in central Colorado. If I step outside and shoot it, bring the camera inside and offload the shot, then compare the two, the blue in the photograph is considerably more saturated than the real sky outside.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Arlen

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:37:56 pm »

when I first showed another photo to a coworker he thought it was a 3D rendering

That was my first impression too, looking at the upper third of the left side of the rock. I love the Southwest. (Except in summer.) Looking at these pictures makes me think about pulling out some of my Southwest images from years ago.

I agree that the blue looks a bit overdone to be realistic, but while it's noticeable, I don't find it bothersome. Not everything has to look exactly as it was. Sometimes its nice to make it better.  ;)

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 03:44:09 pm »

On a clear summer day the sky is unusually blue in the western United States, but I think all of my digital cameras' sensors tend to over-saturate the blue sky. It always was true with Kodachrome too, but then, Kodachrome always over-saturated all the colors. Sometimes it pays to crank down the blue saturation a bit. The result is more believable. There's a perfect blue sky outside my studio this morning here in central Colorado. If I step outside and shoot it, bring the camera inside and offload the shot, then compare the two, the blue in the photograph is considerably more saturated than the real sky outside.
I used to love Kodachrome because of the saturated colors! I tried to tone down the saturation on some of the photos but to my eye the blue becomes more blue-grey- purplish than blue. Could it be the sensor from the camera? I probabably need to compensate or balance somehow the two factors.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 03:45:58 pm »

That was my first impression too, looking at the upper third of the left side of the rock. I love the Southwest. (Except in summer.) Looking at these pictures makes me think about pulling out some of my Southwest images from years ago.

I agree that the blue looks a bit overdone to be realistic, but while it's noticeable, I don't find it bothersome. Not everything has to look exactly as it was. Sometimes its nice to make it better.  ;)
Ha, ha good point! Where in the Southwest did you go? I only know Taos and Santa Fe. I have lots of photos to work on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up