Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H1 / H2 quality and feel?  (Read 4229 times)

torger

Hasselblad H1 / H2 quality and feel?
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:21:30 am »

It's quite easy to come by Hasselblad H1 or H2 camera with 80/2.8 lens for about $2200-$2500 here in Sweden, a good price so I'm thinking to about getting one "just for fun" as I have an H-mount Aptus 75 (which I use on a tech camera, the reason I have the back). As far as I understand there's no advantage of having a H2 instead of an H1, as my Aptus 75 is powered by it's own battery anyway.

I've got the impression though from user comments that the H cameras might have some quality and/or reliability issues. I've actually not held a H1 or H2 camera so I don't know how it feels, is it plastic-fantastic or has the body "pro DSLR" feel, alloy body? Is it weather-sealed? If it feels like a plastic toy and has reliability issues I think I'll pass, but if it's a good solid camera I might look further into getting one.

Ken R

Re: Hasselblad H1 / H2 quality and feel?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:32:33 pm »

I just got a well used H1 recently and it has worked great so far. Regarding the feel: The grip feels ok, the body is solid (looks like smooth painted metal) and the viewfinder feels so so. The top part of the grip area and where the thumb rests and also the top part where the lcd and buttons reside feels a tad cheap and looks a bit plasticky but it is solid. Functionality wise it works great and the viewfinder is large and bright. Very nice. AF works well. A Canon 1 series looks and feels much more solid. Most of the H1 is metal but most of the exterior is plastic that is a bit shiny and gray making it look a bit cheap but no worries a lot of the H1/2 cameras served as rentals and they last quite a bit.

torger

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:58:57 pm »

Thanks for the detailed feedback... great to know what to expect. Living in a remote area I rarely get my paws on the gear until I've bought it :)

TMARK

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 02:01:01 pm »

More solid than the Mamiya AFd2. The H1 had some issues when it was first out. The H2 was much better. They feel like a mid level DSLR, which is to say solid but not 1ds/D3 solid. The viewfinder is real nice.

JV

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 02:41:49 pm »

If the H1 is on later firmware then there is not so much difference between the H1 and H2.  The AF of the H2 is a bit better though.

You can upgrade your H1 to an H2 for around $500 if I recall correctly, a/o your grip gets replaced by a rechargeable grip and it comes with a battery charger.

You can trade in both (together with some cash obviously...) for an H4x.  Details on the Hasselblad website.

They are awesome cameras!

torger

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:42:37 am »

I have thought about the h4x and the new af features would be nice to have, but from what I have heard it is not h1/h2 compatible (why?!) :-( ie you must have a recent back to be able to use it, which is not within my budget.

JV

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 09:32:05 am »

I have thought about the h4x and the new af features would be nice to have, but from what I have heard it is not h1/h2 compatible (why?!) :-( ie you must have a recent back to be able to use it, which is not within my budget.

I have had no problems with the P30+. 

I know the Leaf Aptus II backs don't work with the H4x but I have never heard of there being any issues with the Leaf Aptus 75.

torger

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 09:50:05 am »

I have had no problems with the P30+.  

I know the Leaf Aptus II backs don't work with the H4x but I have never heard of there being any issues with the Leaf Aptus 75.

Cool, so it may actually work with ancient backs like mine fine Aptus? Is there something like a compatibility list? Well, anyway I would start out with a H1/H2 to see if I like it. I love large viewfinders, played a bit with a RZ67 and liked it but would really like something more handholdable and easier to focus. It would be more a "fun to have" camera for occassional photography rather than something I would use a lot so I don't want to invest a lot in it.

Edit: http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h4x-questions-and-answers.aspx

Hasselblad says it's fully compatible with H1/H2 but Aptus-II and Aptus S has protocol issues (not following the spec) which cause them not to work with the more sensitive H4X. I thus seems like my Aptus 75 (not an Aptus 75S) could work.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:53:28 am by torger »

torger

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 10:09:06 am »

Oh, most cheap H1 deals are sold with the HV90x viewfinder (covers full 645 area), will much of the joy of the viewfinder be lost when I mask down that to 36x48mm, so I should get the HVD90X instead?

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 03:19:06 pm »

The Hasselblad H system its a joy to use, with large number of customize buttons for the photographer.

But attention the H1 - H2 - And H3D are not fully service by Hasselblad since july 2013...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 04:30:17 pm »

But attention the H1 - H2 - And H3D are not fully service by Hasselblad since july 2013...
[/quote

This is not accurate.

The h1 and h2 are still serviced.

The hassy announcement you refer to effects the digital back of h1d, h2d and other hassy gear. It does not effect the h1/h2 bodies.

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 08:03:09 am »

Yes Doug, you are right, sorry.

Effective July 1, 2013 Hasselblad AB (Sweden) will discontinue Repair & Support Services for the following products:

Hasselblad Imacon Ixpress range including H1D
    Flextight Precision, Flextight Photo, Flextight 343 scanners
    CFH-22, CFH-39
    CF-22, CF-22MS, CF-39, CF-39MS
    H2D-22, H2D-39, H3D-22, H3D-39

The discontinuation of Repair & Support Services is due to the complexity and expense involved, as well as limited parts availability from our partners and suppliers. In addition software and firmware development for these products are also discontinued.

Hasselblad Bron Inc. has updated the Repair & Support Services as follows:

Hasselblad H1D
    -Service for the digital magazine is provided by a third party repair center.
    -Service is available for analogue repair of the H body.

CF-22, CF-22MS, CF-39, CF-39MS
    -Service is no longer available.
    -HBI will provide limited technical support.
    CFH-22, CFH-39
    -Service is limited to IR Filter and Linkboard replacements.
    -HBI will provide limited technical support.

H2D-22, H2D-39, H3D-22, H3D-39
    - Service is available for analogue repair of the H body.
    - Service is limited to IR Filter and Linkboard replacements.
    - HBI will provide limited technical support
Pages: [1]   Go Up