Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v5 catalog backup error message? catalog size?  (Read 3219 times)

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
v5 catalog backup error message? catalog size?
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:38:12 am »

Experiences, suggestions?

I have been getting an error box telling me the catalog has failed its back up.  It seems to be happen most often after doing a lot of processing or adding files.

I using the latest version (just checked) on a win7 64 bit desk top.  I don't remember this happening before v5.

I have 72,000 photos in the catalog, suspecting that could be an issue.  Planning to start a new catalog hoping to speed processing up, maybe eliminate the backup issue.

Appreciate any help, suggestions.  Thanks, John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: v5 catalog backup error message? catalog size?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:17:34 am »

Exactly what error message?

The 72000 is unlikely to be the problem - that's not particularly big. Performance isn't really related to the number of pictures in the catalogue. The time making a backup is about the only thing that will be improved, and in return you'll have fragmented control of your pictures. So back to the error - what exactly?

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:05:53 am »

John,

Sorry I don't have the exact wording of the message.  It hasn't happened since this posting.    It goes something like, "Adobe Lightroom has stopped working."  The next line has a check box for to check online for solutions, which I have tried.  This is after the backup on closing. 

I am planing to start a new catalog.  It does take a long time to back up.  If I get a chance to do a screen grab, I'll send it.

Thanks for trying to help,  John

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:33:33 am »

It took 3+- weeks but finally got the message again.  All this happens after the catalog backup on closing lightroom.  I did notice that when I started lightroom for that session, it seemed to take a longer than usual for the images to appear.  For what it is worth, the working files are on a external drive plugged in to an ESATA port.  Everything else on my Lightroom set up is as default.  Plenty of space on the 2 internal drives in the pc.  Just checked again, lightroom is up to date.

These stops seem to have no lasting ill effects that I can tell, but an inconvenience.

Thanks again, John

The window comes up with: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 64-bit has stopped working.
-> Check onlline for solution and close the program
-> Close the program

Clicked on "View problem details" which came back with the below:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   lightroom.exe
  Application Version:   5.0.0.10
  Application Timestamp:   51a64dae
  Fault Module Name:   gdiplus.dll
  Fault Module Version:   6.1.7601.18120
  Fault Module Timestamp:   515bc240
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   000000000003c579
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   fc0e
  Additional Information 2:   fc0e3aa0799b988b7cbaf12b8f7e8d0c
  Additional Information 3:   b637
  Additional Information 4:   b637cb5e2d306afbb3503b49c13fea96

Robert55

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 10:56:48 am »

The error message in your last post seems to say the programme crashed, not that the back-up failed.
You could check whether a BU really was created. If you haven't changed default settings, it should be in the c:users folder [assuming windows]. LR creates a folder with date and time as name, in it is a LR5 catalogue file.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 07:07:22 pm »

I have issues when doing a backup before shut down. It never completes as Win7 shuts things down before completing and then I get a error that it didn't complete. So I do less backups. Wish I could tell LR to backup then shutdown. That way I can leave unattended. I too had more catalogs split up, but now have just 3 mains, and sooner or later at least one more will merge. As John said, it is better to manage less catalogs. One of the 3 I use often has 192K files, and I don't get such errors.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

GDRoth

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:12:44 pm »

I have issues when doing a backup before shut down. It never completes as Win7 shuts things down before completing and then I get a error that it didn't complete. So I do less backups. Wish I could tell LR to backup then shutdown. That way I can leave unattended. I too had more catalogs split up, but now have just 3 mains, and sooner or later at least one more will merge. As John said, it is better to manage less catalogs. One of the 3 I use often has 192K files, and I don't get such errors.

It sounds like you shut down your machine while LR is still open.  or are you saying you shut down LR and Win7 shuts it down before the backup completes?
Fuji X100S w/23mm f/2, Fuji XE-2 with 18-55mm, 10-24mm, Lightroom 5.5 and Photoshop CS5

My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901919@N03/
Pages: [1]   Go Up