Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compositionally Challanged  (Read 44624 times)

Rob C

Re: Compositionally Challanged
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2013, 06:26:18 am »

Well said.
 There's a Welsh word that you may appreciate. 'Hiraeth' - "The word has no equivalent in English. It often translates as “homesickness,” but the actual concept is far more complex. It incorporates an aspect of impossibility: the pining for a home, a person, a figure, even a national history that may never have actually existed. To feel hiraeth is to experience a deep sense of incompleteness tinged with longing."

I don't know any Welsh, but that hiraeth is a good word.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:57:04 am by Rob C »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2013, 06:39:52 am »

Thought you'd like it. A friend reminded me of it today on Facebook and I thought what a lovely word, but I'm not likely to use it. And then a few mins later…...
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

amolitor

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 09:43:59 am »

My favorite example of gear-itis is Nikon's list of Magic Lenses that are recommended for the D800 wundercamera.

Their current bottom of the line camera, the D3200, has a finer pixel pitch, and is therefore more demanding of lens sharpness, then the D800 (yes yes, only in the center, etc etc) and yet we see no magic list of lenses for the D3200. They ship it with a very cheap kit zoom, which is evidently good enough.

And yet, having paid an immense sum for a D800, many will rush out to replace their current lenses with Approved and Recommended lenses, and (more obnoxiously) will bore other people to death with discussions of how the old glass was just Totally Inadequate on the new camera, which is simple Much More Demanding.

Rob C

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2013, 03:16:07 pm »

My favorite example of gear-itis is Nikon's list of Magic Lenses that are recommended for the D800 wundercamera.

Their current bottom of the line camera, the D3200, has a finer pixel pitch, and is therefore more demanding of lens sharpness, then the D800 (yes yes, only in the center, etc etc) and yet we see no magic list of lenses for the D3200. They ship it with a very cheap kit zoom, which is evidently good enough.

And yet, having paid an immense sum for a D800, many will rush out to replace their current lenses with Approved and Recommended lenses, and (more obnoxiously) will bore other people to death with discussions of how the old glass was just Totally Inadequate on the new camera, which is simple Much More Demanding.

But Andrew, that might just be the bragging rights to which you refer... they count, especially in public conversation.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up