Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Compositionally Challanged  (Read 44621 times)

wmchauncey

Compositionally Challanged
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:53 am »

I am quite proficient at the technical aspects of photography...am rather eclectic as opposed to having a specific style of work and am a fan of Scott Kelby in this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHMuK7Htic
Compositionally challenged is an understatement...to the point that most of my WA work is limited to using a 180 macro or a 300 f/2.8 lens, used due to their superior resolution.
I then take numerous images and photo-merge them to select a tolerable image by composing/cropping, general image improvement  within Photoshop.  This method seems to work for me.

SOOC holds no interest for me but, I do feel as though something is lacking in my workflow.  Comments do hold an interest to me...thanks.
The things you do for yourself die with

stamper

Re: Compositionally Challanged
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:56:11 am »

Being a fan of Scott Kelby is - imo - a drawback and I am sure there are better photographers out there? This is of course subjective but Kelby to my mind is a PS "expert" and less so a photographer. As to your choice of lenses then you are needing to expand the range. Any "superior resolution" will possibly be lost by what you are doing? A possible rethink of your methods as to a more "normal" way of doing things will help. 

wmchauncey

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:29:00 am »

My mentioning Scott Kelby was only referencing that video and it's explanation on "working a scene".
I have, being a gear head, have most of the "normal" lenses, just don't use them.  Would like to be able to "compose using the viewfinder".

stamper

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:46:36 am »

am rather eclectic as opposed to having a specific style of work and am a fan of Scott Kelby

unquote

You did infer you are a fan? You also gave the impression that you only had and used two different lenses. I was replying to those pieces of information provided by yourself. Now what is the real thrust of your post? :)

wmchauncey

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 08:41:39 am »

My method of "over-shooting" an image by taking numerous images with the intent of merging to crop/compose on my computer
because I can't seem to compose in my viewfinder...I've been told that it denotes a lack of composition skill and is wrong.  Is it so wrong?

stamper

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 10:06:29 am »

It certainly isn't the best method. :) How long have you been shooting?

wmchauncey

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:48:29 am »

Started 'bout ten years ago...serious for the last five years or so.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:20:49 am »

Care to post an example?

wmchauncey

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:25:06 am »

Sure...I use about 20 images to end up with this one

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 11:37:27 am »

Actually, your approach is not so unusual, it is what GigaPan photographers all the time, at least in terms of combinig multiple images. Though the reason they do it usually has very little to do with composition, but mostly to satisfy the quest for extreme detail and/or large printouts.

In your case, the question is how you know how to crop in post processing stage, but not in viewfinder? I would say some sort of compositional sense in necessary in both cases.

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 01:37:02 pm »

Compositionally challenged is an understatement... I then take numerous images and photo-merge them to select a tolerable image by composing/cropping, general image improvement  within Photoshop.

For some reason, I took what you wrote about "A delicate capture" to mean you'd hand-held and then focus-stacked; and that (possible misunderstanding) was enough encouragement for me to rely on taking numerous hand-held images with the intention of a later merge, during a recent week in Yosemite NP.

Rather than "compositionally challenged" the experience seemed compositionally enriched -- if the subject doesn't fit in the frame then take those extra images and break-out of the frame; if 1:1 or 16:9 or ... seem more suitable to the subject then take those extra images and reshape the frame.

Isaac

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 03:34:31 pm »

Sure...I use about 20 images to end up with this one

One of the difficulties I find with blending that many images is maintaining consistent color. Currently I'm trying to merge photos taken along the Big Sur coastline and hills; which combine coastal fog, bright ocean reflections, oak chaparral, bright rock and forest shade. On merge, the fog bank turns purple and the ocean reflections cyan -- not pretty :-)

wmchauncey

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 03:59:29 pm »

Isaac...your dilemma is most likely caused by different lighting in the various images which must be balanced in LR before the merge process...that my friend is a chore.
Pick one image and balance all the rest to that image...you will need to alter your color temperature as well as play with your HSL sliders.
Don't neglect your adjustment brush with/without the auto mask feature and...that little color box thingy that is usually ignored, it works great sometimes.
Count on this taking many hours...is that image worth it?

Additionally...Photoshop has numerous "merge options", be aware that they will cough out different "looking" images and...using the same option anew may change your outcome.

In the future...take those multiple images as quickly as possible to avoid lighting shifts.  Lotsa luck my friend!

Iluvmycam

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 04:29:23 pm »

I am quite proficient at the technical aspects of photography...am rather eclectic as opposed to having a specific style of work and am a fan of Scott Kelby in this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHMuK7Htic
Compositionally challenged is an understatement...to the point that most of my WA work is limited to using a 180 macro or a 300 f/2.8 lens, used due to their superior resolution.
I then take numerous images and photo-merge them to select a tolerable image by composing/cropping, general image improvement  within Photoshop.  This method seems to work for me.

SOOC holds no interest for me but, I do feel as though something is lacking in my workflow.  Comments do hold an interest to me...thanks.

What is your question? You can't compose?

If so, study some art books. If your photos are boring, find more interesting subjects.

Isaac

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 04:47:48 pm »

different lighting in the various images

I think that might also be a problem with the example you posted ;-)

stamper

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 04:54:28 am »

Regarding shifting light then manually expose. or expose in aperture priority with exposure lock for a value half way between the lightest part and darkest part of interest in the scene and shoot all of the parts at the same exposure. That way when you join the files together they have the same exposure. If the light and dark parts don't exceed 6 stops then in LR/ACR you can balance out the extremes of light and darks. Some people allow their exposure to change when they shoot different parts of the scene . A mistake. :(

wmchauncey

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 06:45:11 am »

I think that might also be a problem with the example you posted
In that particular set of images it was a 60 second time frame, but it was in Auto mode,
Very unwise choice as Stamper pointed out.

Isaac

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 02:40:05 pm »

Regarding shifting light then manually expose...

I do.

The solution was to brush appropriate WB and exposure and highlight reduction and contrast reduction, across the coastal fog bank and ocean reflection in 2 of the images. Bringing those diagonal halves into harmony with the chaparral and woodland allowed exposure blending without creating off-colors.

Also, if I'm going to make focus-stacked panos without automation then I really must practice systematically covering the scene until I can do it on automatic :-)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:10:11 pm by Isaac »

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 03:45:23 am »

I do.

Good grief, Isaac, never, ever say those two little words unless you really, really mean them! And writing them is even more dangerous.

Whew!

Rob C

graeme

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 04:26:42 am »

My method of "over-shooting" an image by taking numerous images with the intent of merging to crop/compose on my computer
because I can't seem to compose in my viewfinder...I've been told that it denotes a lack of composition skill and is wrong.  Is it so wrong?

No, not if you're happy with your results.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up