Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ilford Gold Mono Silk  (Read 1931 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Ilford Gold Mono Silk
« on: August 14, 2013, 02:49:24 pm »

For years I have refused to print digital B&W because most that I have seen lacks the richness and subtlety of a well made wet print on good paper. An Ilford rep gave me some samples of Ilford Gold Mono Silk which is optimized for B&W and also for dye printers. I have scanned some 4x5 negs and the printed them on this paper. The initial results are really quite good. It may actually be time sell the darkroom equipment (my wife wants the room and I could buy a lens or two with the money) although I will certainly miss the faint orange glow and the smell of acetic acid as well as the quiet time.

I'm interested in any comments about the Ilford paper or any others worth a look as well as general comments about digital B&W. I would especially appreciate observations from others who are (or were) hesitant to embrace digital B&W.

Thanks.

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
Re: Ilford Gold Mono Silk
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:59:25 pm »

The paper is only one part of the equation, just as it is relative to the chemistry and drying method in wet process. I print monochrome on Canson Platine Fibre Rag with an Epson 7900. That combo results in at least as good as the best wet prints that I've made over a 50+ year career as a professional photographer.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 05:45:10 pm »

For years I have refused to print digital B&W because most that I have seen lacks the richness and subtlety of a well made wet print on good paper. An Ilford rep gave me some samples of Ilford Gold Mono Silk which is optimized for B&W and also for dye printers. I have scanned some 4x5 negs and the printed them on this paper. The initial results are really quite good. It may actually be time sell the darkroom equipment (my wife wants the room and I could buy a lens or two with the money) although I will certainly miss the faint orange glow and the smell of acetic acid as well as the quiet time.

I'm interested in any comments about the Ilford paper or any others worth a look as well as general comments about digital B&W. I would especially appreciate observations from others who are (or were) hesitant to embrace digital B&W.

Thanks.

Did you look at the review we did on this website a a short while back? http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/what_is_the_gold_standard_of_inkjet_papers.shtml
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rgs

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:02:30 pm »

Did you look at the review we did on this website a a short while back? http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/what_is_the_gold_standard_of_inkjet_papers.shtml

I had missed that. Thanks for the link.

And thanks to Ken for the mention of the Canson paper. I have some on the way and had a very interesting talk with a Canson rep today.

Gary Mulcahey

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:41:04 am »

I have some on the way and had a very interesting talk with a Canson rep today.

Care to elaborate on the interesting? :)

rgs

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:56:14 am »

Care to elaborate on the interesting? :)

No trade secrets, just a nice discussion during which I learned some things. They were kind enough to call me after I posted on their website. Really good customer service.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 02:13:52 pm »

Most of my monochrome printing is on Museo Silver Rag.  It has a very good Dmax and I like the dynamic range it gives.

Alan

wattsies

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:51:58 pm »

I would offer two relevant considerations.

1. Ilford Imaging is in financial trouble and is bankrupt, so I worry about what this means for their products longer term.

2. The Mono Silk appears to contain OBAs at more than a low level. Papers with OBAs are showing much poorer results in fade testing.

I second the Canson recommendation. They are my paper of choice for B&W and colour, together with Cone's Type 5 which is similar for B&W although prints a bit warmer with his K7 piezography inks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 06:56:29 pm »

I would offer two relevant considerations.

1. Ilford Imaging is in financial trouble and is bankrupt,

Correction: They were insolvent but management is injecting some short-term capital. They are in receivership, but not bankruptcy - yet. That could still happen. One way or another, however, yes - not pretty.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up