Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIver meets Mountains  (Read 1593 times)

cjogo

RIver meets Mountains
« on: August 14, 2013, 02:33:40 pm »

Yosemite >> Merced River >. this was a -2 development -- looks very natural > but the highs were way above the tonal range .   Minus development brought those ZONE 10's > right down to detail.  Yellow filter to even enhance the Aspens changing color /contrast ...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:52:56 pm by cjogo »

Riaan van Wyk

Re: RIver meets Mountains
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:56:21 pm »

Lovely sir..

Harald L

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 04:15:18 pm »

What an effort. But it's worth it.
Glad to be an amateur

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 04:27:11 pm »

That kind of grief is why a bunch of us stopped driving Model-T's and shooting film, Joseph.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

cjogo

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 05:11:05 pm »

That kind of grief is why a bunch of us stopped driving Model-T's and shooting film, Joseph.

Of course,   I have not shot film for 7 years.    I believe this can be achieved with digital > but requires just two sequential shots ... sandwich together /blend > and the (detail~  desired ) highlights can be saved  ;)   

RSL

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 05:16:00 pm »

HDR with two exposures might do the job. Since I didn't see the original scene I can't really guess, but with something like a D3 or a D800 I'd probably go for at least 5. In burst mode it's no harder to shoot 5 than 2, and the extra latitude might come in handy.

But the problem with HDR is that people get carried away and push the tone mapping to absurd lengths.

WalterEG

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:21:14 pm »

Why shoot 5 and get bogged down on the computer when a single sheet will do the trick? 

W

Harald L

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 06:28:09 pm »

Why shoot 5 and get bogged down on the computer when a single sheet will do the trick? 

W

You've forgot the darkroom work...
Glad to be an amateur

cjogo

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 06:43:49 pm »

HDR with two exposures might do the job. Since I didn't see the original scene I can't really guess, but with something like a D3 or a D800 I'd probably go for at least 5. In burst mode it's no harder to shoot 5 than 2, and the extra latitude might come in handy.

But the problem with HDR is that people get carried away and push the tone mapping to absurd lengths.

Never shot HDR ---  BUt could see were one might get carried away  :o

cjogo

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:45:51 pm »

W

That's how that Zone System worked ~!   One sheet of film > printed perfectly < if you had your skills down  ;)  Wish my EOS  digital could handle those highlights  ???

RSL

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:57:20 pm »

Yeah, back in the fifties and sixties I was into the zone system in a big way. Sometimes I even modified the developer according to Ansel's recommendations in his book in order to corral a wild dynamic range. But with digital I don't have to go around with my Weston meter, checking brightnesses. I can go for a middle reading on the camera's meter in matrix mode, bracket 9 frames in burst mode starting 5 stops high and ending 5 stops low, put the result into Photomatix or Nik's HDR Pro, after about a minute make some final tweaks, and end up with something better than I ever could get with film. It turns a several hour job into a several minute job, and you don't have to dump the pans and wash everything out when you're finished.

cjogo

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:15:21 pm »

Yeah, back in the fifties and sixties I was into the zone system in a big way. Sometimes I even modified the developer according to Ansel's recommendations in his book in order to corral a wild dynamic range. But with digital I don't have to go around with my Weston meter, checking brightnesses. I can go for a middle reading on the camera's meter in matrix mode, bracket 9 frames in burst mode starting 5 stops high and ending 5 stops low, put the result into Photomatix or Nik's HDR Pro, after about a minute make some final tweaks, and end up with something better than I ever could get with film. It turns a several hour job into a several minute job, and you don't have to dump the pans and wash everything out when you're finished.

Yikes ~!  I still use my Sekonic meter ...  But I'm shooting commercially  >  So ~ as  little time in the CS as possible.   Not sure if my EOS 60d has the burst mode ... I just use manual everything :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up