Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bokeh of Hasselblad HC 50mm  (Read 3228 times)

jerome_m

Bokeh of Hasselblad HC 50mm
« on: August 14, 2013, 03:50:23 am »

Anyone tried this lens and could tell me their opinion about the bokeh? Thanks in advance.

Nick-T

[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

jerome_m

Re: Bokeh of Hasselblad HC 50mm
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 02:12:42 am »

Thank you, but I knew about this link. There are only two pictures in it and I would like to have a bit more info.

DanielStone

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:50:27 pm »

By chance, can you hire this lens for a few days and test it yourself?

or are you contemplating investing in the H-system, or just this lens?

A few shooters I've assisted have used the 50mm to do wide angle "looming" style portraits, and it's worked well. However, we were mostly shooting @ F/8-F/11 or so(strobes in-studio).

The 50 is a nice lens though

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 03:18:10 pm »

I use this lens all the time and like it very much. It's been said elsewhere on the forum that it's disappointing, but I disagree. It's not as sharp as the 80mm, but it's not far off either. I'm sure the 50mm-II is better, but I've been very happy with the 50mm-I.

I'm attaching a recent shoot done with the 50. This was shot at f/10, so it might not show as much bokeh as you'd like, but I was fairly close to the talent, so there's definitely focus falloff. Second shot is cropped tighter, so you can see the out-of-focus area closer.

I'll see if I can dig up a shot with less DOF next week.

ethan
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:20:02 pm by epines »

jerome_m

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 05:22:44 pm »

Thank you for the sample.

What is your opinion about other apertures? As you undoubtedly know, the bokeh of a lens strongly depends on the aperture, since the optical aberrations responsible for the shape of out of focus areas depends of the aperture. Bokeh is almost always worse at full aperture and improves when stopping down.

What is your opinion about the 50mm - version 1? Is bokeh full open ok or do you noticed that you need to stop down for bokeh not to be too busy? Anybody tried comparing with the version 2 of the 50mm on this particular criteria?

orc73

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 11:56:03 am »

Difficult to say if a bokeh is nice or not, as it's a very personal thing. If you are into bubbles everywhere, I'm not and seldom have them in my shots. If we talk about background blur, bokeh of this lense is better then what you will get in the 35mm world, just as the 150mm and the 80mm, never had anything to complain on them.
the 50mm wide open is not sharp across the frame though, depending what and how you shoot you will have limitations.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:12:22 pm by orc73 »

bpepz

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:51:17 am »

I use this lens all the time and like it very much. It's been said elsewhere on the forum that it's disappointing, but I disagree. It's not as sharp as the 80mm, but it's not far off either. I'm sure the 50mm-II is better, but I've been very happy with the 50mm-I.

I'm attaching a recent shoot done with the 50. This was shot at f/10, so it might not show as much bokeh as you'd like, but I was fairly close to the talent, so there's definitely focus falloff. Second shot is cropped tighter, so you can see the out-of-focus area closer.

I'll see if I can dig up a shot with less DOF next week.

ethan

Nice photos! Looking forward to you posting shots at a larger aperture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up