Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help shortlisting one lens for landscape  (Read 5349 times)

Mjollnir

Re: Help shortlisting one lens for landscape
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 02:17:35 pm »

I know G. Dan Mitchell, he is another Dave (Isle of Skye), who are battle-weary, thinks "anything is weapon for the born-warrior"...
They are correct too.

Yup.  Fantastic guy, fantastic shooter.  And he's a music professor, so he get's all that lovely time off in Summer to make trips to places like, say, Precipice Lake.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:06 pm »

... 24-105, as it is only f/4 - f/5.6...

I always thought the lens has a constant aperture (f/4), like all other L lenses?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 07:31:17 pm »

I always thought the lens has a constant aperture (f/4), like all other L lenses?

Slobodan, you are annoyingly correct once again  ;D

Just shows you how much I bother to look at and remember the details of the kit I use and have used for many, many years. All I do know is it's a really good lens that zooms in and out and has lots of buttons on it that I never use - but yes Slobodan, you are correct, I have obviously been mixing up the 24 - 105 with one of my other L lenses, the 100 - 400 f/4.5 to f/5.6 zoom, which hasn't been out of its bag in many a year, although I do usually lug around the 70/200 2.8 L.

Please forgive me  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:46:18 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

marcmccalmont

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 08:21:23 pm »

I loved my 24-105 and got lots of nice shots with it, I also bought a used 28-70 (look up the photozone and DXO ratings) very very nice. When I switched to the Nikon D800E I bought a Leica 28-90 R which is now my favorite landscape lens. I'm always zooming in and out to get a nice composition instead of cropping primes and loosing resolution in the crop.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Sunny Alan

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 11:13:07 am »

I posed this question of an 'Art capturing system' elsewhere too. People rejecting a DSLR based system at the outset itself and suggest a Mamiya film back, if money-crunching or best a Digital Back. If adamant on DSLR, buy one Nikon 800, some suggest !

I cannot go to film route,no lab doing 4x5 colorfilm developing and DBs are out of budget ($3000).

Now what?
BTW I found such a thing at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/685121-REG/Horseman_21766_VCC_Pro_View_Camera.html

What do you think of this system??
I already got the 5D2, which I can use with it on and off, as needed.
An old Rodenstock f-150 is with me, with fungus on both lens. If can salvage, I am done !
If not I buy a Rodenstock, cheap at Ebay or so.

Please evaluate...

NancyP

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 12:47:57 pm »

Well, true, any lens can be used for landscapes. But people have personal favorite lenses. The answer may be to go to your metadata and see which lens or which focal lengths you use the most.

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 02:25:26 pm »

The 24-105 is a very nice lens for landscape and general purpose shooting. It's also quite the bargain these days.

However, as I happen to have the 24-105, and both versions of the 24-70, I have to say that the 24-70 version II is the best of the zooms, and rivals many prime lenses. Is it as good as a Zeiss prime? Probably not. But if I were going to carry one lens for landscape, that would be it. Maximum versatility and excellent image quality.

Couldn't agree more.

Even the original 24-70 is a better lens than the 24-105 IMO.

I also think, where building a kit is concerned, that buying a 24-70 (in either iteration) follows more logically into buying the next lens up, 70-200 series (and all their iterations)  ;D

In other words, going from a 24-70 to 70-200 makes logical sense ...

Whereas going from a 24-105 to 70-200 doesn't fit quite as nicely :P

Jack
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:26:58 pm by John Koerner »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up