Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to control exposure with Sony RX100 Mark I or Mark II?  (Read 12038 times)

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
How to control exposure with Sony RX100 Mark I or Mark II?
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:31:02 pm »

I've noticed that quite a few regular posters on this forum have been using the Sony RX100. I bought a Canon S100 a bit before the Sony came out but sold it recently, thinking to upgrade to the RX100, now the Mark II version has arrived.

The concern I have from reading reviews is it's exposure control interface. Is it possible to manually control shutter, aperture, and ISO in any kind of useful way? I just spent some time with the on-line PDF manuals and am still scratching my head.

(So far as I can tell from the manuals, the exposure control interface hasn't changed from the Mark I, so if your experience is with that model, please feel free to respond.)

Manoli

Re: How to control exposure with Sony RX100 Mark I or Mark II?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 05:47:03 pm »

I empathize – had the camera a long time before I 'got the hang of it'. Success depends on setting the camera up for your style.

The key is the <Fn>  button on the back.
You can customise this via Menu> Settings (cog wheel)> Page 2 > Function button
There are seven settings that I have setup as follows, :

Function 1: ISO
Function 2: White Balance
Function 3: Drive Mode
Function 4: Focus Mode
Function 5: Aspect
Function 6: Image Quality
Function 7: Image size

Also,
Menu> Settings (cog wheel)> Page 2 > Func of left button : set to AEL toggle
Menu> Settings (cog wheel)> Page 1 > DISP Button (monitor) : check all except 'Display all info' (optional)
Menu > Camera > Page 3 is where you set the metering mode – Multi, Center or Spot

When shooting, pressing the top part of the control ring cycles you through the lcd view options (I have the histogram diplayed).

From now on just set the shooting mode you desire A,S or Manual and adjust exposure by pressing the bottom part of the control ring to bring up exposure compensation – I set it whilst keeping an eye on the histogram.

If you want to lock the exposure in either A,S mode just press the left side of the control ring. AEL lock – press again to release it.

In Manual mode, pressing the bottom part of the control ring again alternates between aperture and shutter speed. Turning the control ring adjusts whichever one you've selected (in red) accordingly. There is also a readout in the bottom status line, showing how +/- the camera reckons you are ..

For the other settings (ISO, WB ..etc) just press the <Fn> button for easy access

Hope this helps.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 04:49:50 pm »

The concern I have from reading reviews is it's exposure control interface. Is it possible to manually control shutter, aperture, and ISO in any kind of useful way? I just spent some time with the on-line PDF manuals and am still scratching my head.
Firstly the manual is rubbish, disgraceful and Sony should be embarrassed about the dreadful state of documentation for these cameras.
I've only had my RX100 a couple of weeks so it's still not something I'm completely comfortable with yet.
The only real way to understand them is to use them and work through the menu options until you find a combination of settings that make sense to you for your own style of shooting.

I've now found a combination of setting I find useful and I can set the major functions(speed/aperture/ISO) relatively easily and quickly without too many button presses. Manoli's settings are different to mine, yours will likely be different again.

I nearly gave it up as a disaster, the ergonomics are so terrible because there's so much functionality to pack into too few controls really.
However once you start shooting with it you'll discover why it's creating such a stir, the picture quality is really quite astonishing.

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:49 pm »

Manoli and Rhossydd: thanks for the action-packed replies! Armed with all that detail I took a very productive trip to the local camera store and to my surprise found they actually have a Mk II demo in-store. Just a few minutes playing with A and M modes reassured me that I'll be able to control the camera.

Also discovered how useful the tilt-LCD proves to be (at least in portrait orientation) by taking the camera out into the sun. Drop the panel to waist-level position in bright sunlight to shade the display in your own shadow. Not sure I'm going to particularly miss having a viewfinder.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:43:39 am »

Not sure I'm going to particularly miss having a viewfinder.
I do, ......a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up