Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Italy–Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast plus Florence.  (Read 10338 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Italy–Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast plus Florence.
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 04:03:53 pm »

Are you back and if so any feedback on the first-time impressions ? Enjoyable or a case of survival ?

I'm back (my wife is still there at her music festival). I had a great time...loved Sorrento and the Amalfi coast (had a slight accident in Amalfi, it was either get hit by a bus or scrape the side of the car on a pole–I chose the pole...don't know how that's gonna turn out :~)

Took the train from Naples to Florence, got the Firenze Card and hit all the main museums (I even sneaked some shots of David :~).

I'm still editing the shots...I'll post some favs later.

I appreciate all the help the forums members gave me...I printed out the thread and took it with me to read on the plane.

The one thing I got that was great was an offline iPhone GPS app called Sygic that really, really helped. Since it was an off-line app I could turn off data roaming and just use the phone's GPS to navigation...worked out really well. I only got the Italy maps for about $20 but I think I'll get the US maps as well. It's a real GPS app and much better then the iPhone or Google maps apps.

All told, great trip, great food and wine and I think some nice shots...This was my first time in Italy and will definitely go back.

BTW, I ended up getting a new pocket point & shoot that worked pretty well (I decided NOT to take any real cameras because this wasn't a photo trip and my wife appreciated that :~). The camera I got was a 20MP Sony RX100 II. Pricy but good image quality and a good lens (Zeiss 10.4-37.1 F1.8). The only thing that drove me nutz was shooting vertically, my thumb constantly turned on the movie mode so I got way too many accidental movies...I think I'll have to do a Rube Golberg modification to make it a lot harder to turn the movie mode on!!!

Edited to add camera info..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:16:07 pm by Schewe »

francois

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 09:39:37 am »

Thanks for reporting… I'm glad that you enjoyed your first trip to Italy!
Francois

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 03:56:42 pm »

I(had a slight accident in Amalfi, it was either get hit by a bus or scrape the side of the car on a pole–I chose the pole...don't know how that's gonna turn out :~)

Jeff,

You did take out all the insurance that was possible? I had a similar story in Milan and worked out fine. I always buy all the insurance that I can overseas. I sleep better that way.

Peter

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 06:19:16 pm »

You did take out all the insurance that was possible? I had a similar story in Milan and worked out fine. I always buy all the insurance that I can overseas. I sleep better that way.

Yep...zero deductible, walk away collision and I even paid for the rental on Amex (because Gold cards have special kick-in car rental insurance on top of other insurance).

But, as I said, I still don't know what the outcome will be...at least there was no other vehicle and no police involved :~)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up