Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7890 & Ilford Gold Fiber Silk  (Read 1845 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Epson 7890 & Ilford Gold Fiber Silk
« on: August 12, 2013, 12:28:35 pm »

I have used this paper in 13"x19" and 11"x17" sizes with my Epson 3800. I use the back manual feeds option, as the paper is quite thick (I love it...lays flat when matting and framing). Has anyone used this paper in roll form with the 7890? Are there any settings or precautions necessary because of the added thickness? I now use a "deroller" to flatten my 7890 prints on Epson Luster. Have you had any issues with flattening this paper? I assume Ilford has a down loadable profile for the 7890?
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ

aaronchan

Re: Epson 7890 & Ilford Gold Fiber Silk
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:39:58 pm »

I use this paper on my 7880.
I use wider for the platen gap and semi-gloss for the surface setting.
With my custom profile I see no problem at all

The only thing is I feel like this paper is pretty curly so having a de-roller is a plus for the whole entire workflow, if you don't mount your print and want it to stay flat immediately.

aaron

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 04:10:33 pm »

Thank you Aaron. Very useful information.
Dave

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:55 pm »

I've used 24" rolls of Ilford GFS in my Epson 7900 and it has quite a curl, especially toward the end of the roll. I have used a de-roller on it but with less than satisfactory results. It does take out the curl bit leaves a permanent "wave" in the paper where the leading edge of the paper wraps around. This does not happen in cotton papers, and I haven't had the issue with Epson Luster. I've been told that due to the small diameter of the de-roller and the extra pressure where the leading edge of the paper wraps around, these stiff alpha-cellulose papers are slightly "crushed" there. You'd be better off with a larger diameter home-made de-roller or flattening the prints over time between weighted sheets of foam core or similar.
- Dean

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:29:03 pm »

I've used 24" rolls of Ilford GFS in my Epson 7900 and it has quite a curl, especially toward the end of the roll. I have used a de-roller on it but with less than satisfactory results. It does take out the curl bit leaves a permanent "wave" in the paper where the leading edge of the paper wraps around. This does not happen in cotton papers, and I haven't had the issue with Epson Luster. I've been told that due to the small diameter of the de-roller and the extra pressure where the leading edge of the paper wraps around, these stiff alpha-cellulose papers are slightly "crushed" there. You'd be better off with a larger diameter home-made de-roller or flattening the prints over time between

Thanks Dean: I just got a print order for a 24"x32"...I am having second thoughts, and may use Epson Luster...this has been my standard paper, and I know I can flatten it.
Dave

hugowolf

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:44:33 pm »

I just got a print order for a 24"x32"...I am having second thoughts, and may use Epson Luster...this has been my standard paper, and I know I can flatten it.
You may want to consider Canson Baryta Photographique. I haven't had any problems decurling from rolls (9890). It is almost identical to GFS, except the base paper. I suspect the top baryta layer is applied by the same mill.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up