Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abraham Lake  (Read 1583 times)

Justinr

• Ink+images
Abraham Lake
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:09:44 pm »

Taken on a recent trip to the Rockies. I think it is my favourite shot of the few days I managed to get away.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Abraham Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:02:57 am »

Good color and depth but I'm not fond of the overall composition being overbalanced on the left.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:53 pm »

Thanks, yes, the colours are interesting in that the picture is dominated by just two, various shades of green and blue. The composition, I like to think, tends to draw the eye away from the trees towards the distance, it suggests something of a journey, from the near and present and to the far and future.  But that could just be pretentious BS.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:57:39 pm by Justinr »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:22:17 pm »

Thanks, yes, the colours are interesting in that the picture is dominated by just two, various shades of green and blue. The composition, I like to think, tends to draw the eye away from the trees towards the distance, it suggests something of a journey, from the near and present and to the far and future.  But that could just be pretentious BS.  ;)
Pretentious, maybe, but that is close to the way I see the photo. It should provide a nice memory jog of a beautiful place on a nice day.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:50:05 pm »

Pretentious, maybe, but that is close to the way I see the photo. It should provide a nice memory jog of a beautiful place on a nice day.

Of all the sights I happened across in my far too brief visit to the mountains coming upon Abraham Lake from Saskatchewan Crossing was no doubt the most breathtaking. The colour of its waters cannot be believed until visited.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 12:54:48 am »

Hum... doesn't work too well for me frankly speaking. At the risk of being a bit blunt:

- My eye gets attracted by the lighter gravel foreground and there isn't that much to see there,
- The very bluish distant mountains seem to be saying "mid day shooting",
- The trunk on the left is either too close or too far, it seems to be looking for a role in the image.

I would reduce the foreground and correct to some extend the color balance of the distant mountains in the shade.

Cheers,
Bernard

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:50 am »

Hum... doesn't work too well for me frankly speaking. At the risk of being a bit blunt:

- My eye gets attracted by the lighter gravel foreground and there isn't that much to see there,
- The very bluish distant mountains seem to be saying "mid day shooting",
- The trunk on the left is either too close or too far, it seems to be looking for a role in the image.

I would reduce the foreground and correct to some extend the color balance of the distant mountains in the shade.

Cheers,
Bernard

Indeed, a little blunt, but if I may respond in a similar vein then I'm sure you will understand.

The lighter gravel foreground is an essential feature for it underpins the simplicity of the shot, it indicates that the the tree stands on a knoll, that the terrain is not flat, it places the viewer in a subordinate role to that tree, it is the starting point of the journey already alluded to and it and this is signaled by its dominance in the left of the frame. That is one role that may be assigned to it and to approach that starting point requires a conscious effort, one has to walk up to it rather than drift aimlessly towards where it stands. It may also be considered something of a sentinel, watching over the view that opens before you, as if it is a guide, bringing you to the spot of great beauty and then standing silently as you drink it in, sharing in the awe one may feel for nature and her works. The picture is not about the mountains as such, go buy a pretty postcard if that is the depth of understanding you seek for they are more a symbol than natural artifacts to be admired in this image.The shot was taken around 4 in the afternoon, hence the strong light on the trees that reinforces the verdant cloak they lay upon the ground, this strength contrasts with the paler blues of hill and lake and adds to the sense of depth and vastness of the country being portrayed.

Do you never feel as if the earth is talking to you?

stamper

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:53:53 am »

My initial feeling was it is a little overexposed and lacking in contrast. Then again it could be my monitor. Have you cropped it? I think that something more on the right would help. If you feel that you have to inform the posters at length about the image then it hasn't worked for them. I guess it is in the "near miss" category.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:02 am »

My initial feeling was it is a little overexposed and lacking in contrast. Then again it could be my monitor. Have you cropped it? I think that something more on the right would help. If you feel that you have to inform the posters at length about the image then it hasn't worked for them. I guess it is in the "near miss" category.

That's the problem with doing it all by computer, we each see a different picture, there is no fixed standard, unlike a print where we are all looking at the same thing. But you do have a point about the exposure although the light was very strong that afternoon, so all was bright in reality as well. I explained the shot only to point out out that I felt there was more to it than a pretty picture of the mountains, whether you agree with it it or not is entirely up to you, in a way I rather hope you don't!  :D

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 08:42:08 am »

I think Bernard is right on the money here.  The foreground is too bright and is very distracting. If you are around this location again it would be worth shooting some more...it's an interesting framing and distant subject.

Regarding your later comments about this image...I would pass on something from Tom Gitterman a prominent gallery dealer in NY which I found helpful. I was sending some images for review and he pointedly said..."do NOT send any text or words...I only want to see the images"

Lastly, you have posted this image in "User Critiques"  - that Michael has designated as a "place for reasoned and civilized discussion about user submitted photographs." People have taken time out to look at your work and offer up comments/critique/suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:44:53 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

degrub

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:39:33 am »

Speaking as an amateur and ow understanding your vision for the shot from the text, i think better separation of the elements may help. Stitching with a narrower DOF such that the background is more impressionistic rather than in focus might help convey your vision more clearly.

Frank

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 11:44:41 am »

It's a nice tourist snap.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 11:17:44 pm »

Indeed, a little blunt, but if I may respond in a similar vein then I'm sure you will understand.

The lighter gravel foreground is an essential feature for it underpins the simplicity of the shot, it indicates that the the tree stands on a knoll, that the terrain is not flat, it places the viewer in a subordinate role to that tree, it is the starting point of the journey already alluded to and it and this is signaled by its dominance in the left of the frame. That is one role that may be assigned to it and to approach that starting point requires a conscious effort, one has to walk up to it rather than drift aimlessly towards where it stands. It may also be considered something of a sentinel, watching over the view that opens before you, as if it is a guide, bringing you to the spot of great beauty and then standing silently as you drink it in, sharing in the awe one may feel for nature and her works. The picture is not about the mountains as such, go buy a pretty postcard if that is the depth of understanding you seek for they are more a symbol than natural artifacts to be admired in this image.The shot was taken around 4 in the afternoon, hence the strong light on the trees that reinforces the verdant cloak they lay upon the ground, this strength contrasts with the paler blues of hill and lake and adds to the sense of depth and vastness of the country being portrayed.

Do you never feel as if the earth is talking to you?

I have no problem with all that but, in my book, it doesn't come accross when I look at your photograph.

If the image is intended solely as a memo for you to connect back to what you felt at that moment, no problem. But if you intend others to share this feeling then you may want to think a bit more before taking the shot.

Just my 2 cent sir, you came and asked for comments.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up