Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: If Canon bought Phase One?  (Read 20902 times)

bcooter

Re: If Canon bought Phase One?
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 03:46:22 pm »

Not sure if this jibe was aimed at me (in the context of the thread, it's hard to see who else you were aiming it at), but for what it's worth, I own some MF kit, and am very happy with it. Very happy indeed.

I just happen to be capable of some objectivity.

I'm not aiming at anybody in particular.

I also understand buying specialty equipment is frustrating.  (Go buy a RED, or Arri and by the time you understand what you need and want your eyes will cross).

Some things make no sense, like your mention of the Phase upgrade path, but sometimes things just are what they are and well . . .

I just find it's strange that on this forum (I don't visit many other forums) there seems to be a vocal majority that takes swipes at the higher end camera makers.

It's funny, because in the cinema world, it's the opposite.  When Arri introduces a new camera nobody says it doesn't stabilize like an Iphone or says $80,000, my Sony handicam only cost $500 and doesn't need any post processing or big batteries.

That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, but if Phase one could make a Nikon or Canon why?   That market is covered.

I'd hope they made something different.

But in camera jpegs, sure, anything but processing out a trillion files for web view.

IMO

BC

BJL

Phase One owns its lens and body design assets
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 04:07:58 pm »

Phase One enter into partnerships for all their products. They partner with world class lens companies to develop lenses, and world class sensor companies to develop sensors.
Phase One does not "partner with" Mamiya for design and manufacture lenses and bodies; it now _owns_ Mamiya, so that expertise is now in-house. Surely that reduces the likelihood of it looking outside its house to a partner like Canon for lens and body design.

And at the risk of sounding snarky, if Phase One were in search of a new sensor-design partner, Canon would probably not be at the top of its list.

telyt

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 05:21:01 pm »

I just find it's strange that on this forum (I don't visit many other forums) there seems to be a vocal majority that takes swipes at the higher end camera makers.

It's not just this forum.  Visit most photography forums and see what happens when you mention "Leica".
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:41:26 pm by wildlightphoto »

gerald.d

Re: Phase One owns its lens and body design assets
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 11:32:13 pm »

Phase One does not "partner with" Mamiya for design and manufacture lenses and bodies; it now _owns_ Mamiya, so that expertise is now in-house. Surely that reduces the likelihood of it looking outside its house to a partner like Canon for lens and body design.
You're right. They don't partner on the camera body.

Mamiya/Phase One have no track record in recent years of producing a world-class camera body.

Which is kinda the point.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 12:03:08 am »

It's not just this forum.  Visit most photography forums and see what happens when you mention "Leica".

Or mention something like 'Pentax' and watch the world degenerate!
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up