Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: If Canon bought Phase One?  (Read 20903 times)

gerald.d

If Canon bought Phase One?
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:46:47 am »

sebastian_kubatz

• http://sebastiankubatz.de
Re: If Canon bought Phase One?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 12:53:54 pm »

"If Canon bought Phase One?" ... they'd add weather sealing and a red ring to all lenses and raise the prices by 20%  ;D

MrSmith

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 01:10:21 pm »

Why would they? There can't be much technology wise that they couldn't develop themselves if they wanted to and the profits would be minuscule compared to their other divisions.
I could understand if they wanted to get their hands on Capture1 as a readymade capture sopftware thats better than their own and then asset strip phase for anything useful then close it down.
 ::)

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 01:27:53 pm »

I really don't think so.

But if it were to be, I'd think that the venerable H would be a more likely target.  And just think, they could then pimp out the Canon M ala H Lunar..... ;D

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:39:23 pm »

"If Canon bought Phase One?" ... they'd add weather sealing and a red ring to all lenses and raise the prices by 20%  ;D

Let's hope they don't.  We don't need consolidation, we need more small companies like Phase that innovate.

IMO

BC

drevil

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:15:39 pm »

my best bet is that canon buys the MF branch of Hasselblad, would be quite a bargain at this point i guess.
P1 on the other hand is doing pretty well and would let canon bleed.

just my assumption

hassy still can continue to sell rebranded sony cams

hjulenissen

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 01:33:49 am »

How common is it for Japanese companies to purchase low-volume, high-price competitors?

I would think that there is significant internal resistance to purchasing such a company (and making them the "jewel of the crown" or a marketing thing), when many employees (probably) feel that they are capable of developing the same technology and products themselves.

Sony did produce the RX-1, a product that seems to be more about establishing the brand among professional photographers (and amateurs alike), than generating profits on its own. I guess that a Canon MF product (in-house developed or not) might follow along the lines of the RX-1. On the other hand, Sony did purchase Konica Minolta countradicting my above thesis.

-h

Manoli

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 02:52:21 am »

On the other hand, Sony did purchase Konica Minolta countradicting my above thesis.

.. and they did invest over $640 million in Olympus (and thus became their largest shareholder).

TMARK

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:38 am »

God I hope not.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:13 am »

I cant see Canon buying Phase One, or it being a good thing if they did. 

If they did, I would see them closing the system and changing to a CMOS sensor.  Neither I find exciting, more disappointing.  If you ask why would they do this?  Because they would now hold all of the chips since Phase is the biggest seller of MF backs.  And I am sure that they would close down Leaf, or at least make them less competitive. 

If they bought the digital back devision of Hasselblad though, that I would consider to be a good thing.  First, it would force Hassy to go open their system again, which would increase sales for them.  (A few dealers have told me before closing the system, Hassy was the top camera system they sold in MF.)  Second, Canon could easily introduce a CMOS MF back, giving competition to the Phase One CCD backs, assuming they would actually manufacture a back that could work on other platforms.  Also, having this division would force them to create a MF camera, introducing much more R&D into auto-focus into MF. 

Just thoughts. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

BJL

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 06:01:30 pm »

Nothing to see here except yet another regurgitation of a rumor that has never made any sense: Canon (or Nikon) moving into a sector whose revenues and profits are vastly smaller than the high end 35mm sector that it is already in and already has the lenses, sensors etc. developed.

Consider the joke of an argument: compact camera sales are being lost to even smaller cameras that can also make phone calls, so Canon will try to compensate by moving into a sector where total revenues and profits are about one hundred times smaller.

markmullen

• Mark Mullen Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 06:01:36 pm »

My money would be on them eyeing up Hasselblad. They've seen how popular having a very high resolution product was for Nikon with the D800 and Hasselblad's latest annual report was far from glittering. How better to get involved with the very high resolution pro market than hoovering up a well known brand with an established, if not hugely successful, current product range, for not much money?

MrSmith

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:03:08 pm »

But what exactly would they get for their money?
Sensor technology?
No they don't have any
Lens technology?
Probably nothing they don't know how to do already as Canon are already savvy with aspherics and lo dispersion glass.
Electronics and AF?
No.
Software.
No.
Manufacturing?
No.
Market share?
No.
Brand image?
Yes, no idea of the value if its not reflected in sales.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 07:55:58 pm »

No.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 08:37:21 pm »

I can't see Canon doing this sort of thing, but Fujifilm buying up Hasselblad would be a different matter altogether.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 05:58:33 am »

As an owner of the Rolleiflex Hy6 Mod2 and the previous generation SINAR Hy6, I would love for CANON to help shine a light on and invest funds in this marvelous system.

Jerry Reed

design_freak

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 06:50:02 am »

Regardless of whether someone will buy one or not. Hasselblad should return to production DB with interchangeable mounts. (CF - 50, CF 200) Hasselblad probably do not do it...
P1 should take this concept. Extremely annoying is the search for DB each time with a different mount. V system, H system, Contax, Hy6, Mamiya.
Best regards,
DF

design_freak

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 06:59:28 am »

Let's hope they don't.  We don't need consolidation, we need more small companies like Phase that innovate.

IMO

BC

I agree with you in 100%
Money alone is not enough, really need are the right people!  People with vision  :) This is most needed. Now, unfortunately, there is a crisis in this area  ::)
Best regards,
DF

TMARK

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 09:18:14 am »

I can't see Canon doing this sort of thing, but Fujifilm buying up Hasselblad would be a different matter altogether.

This makes more sense as Fuji was involved with the H camera and they make the lenses and film magazines.  But commercially, I'm not sure it makes sense.

bcooter

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »

I agree with you in 100%
Money alone is not enough, really need are the right people!  People with vision  :) This is most needed. Now, unfortunately, there is a crisis in this area  ::)

I don't know if there is a crisis or anyone's sales figures.  I do know that consolodation doesn't help any of us.  Try to book airfare right now.  On routes we travel regularly from  a flight every 30 minutes on the major carriers now is 3 flights a day, or a stop in Cleveland.

I feel the same when any company mergers, the larger one strips out the perceived value and leaves everyone hanging.

What I know is Phase makes a good product, great file, but limited in a lot of our uses.  Our business has really moved to multimedia and though I don't expect one camera to do everything, I do expect them to do more than before.

Personally, I really dislike dslr cameras.  I own them, use them, fight the file, fight the look and find them boring.

I love unique cameras and my only issue with Phase and what keeps me from buying now is I'm not wild about the DF (it's good just not that unique in look), and cost vs. "my" return.   It would be a camera I use 25% of the time at most and with constantly changing computers, video needs, lighting, sound (a very long list), something has to take priority.

Though I will admit that 25% of the time I'd use it would be my best photography and I love to work a deep ccd based file.

I just wish I had more time to use one.

Maybe this week.

IMO

BC

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up