Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patagonia trip in December - any interested?  (Read 2902 times)

shadowblade

Patagonia trip in December - any interested?
« on: August 11, 2013, 04:08:28 am »

I'm planning a two-week photo trip to Patagonia in December and am wondering if anyone would be interested in joining, to share costs.

The itinerary at the moment is:

Dec 5: Transfer El Calafate to El Chalten. Walk to Camp Laguna Capri, camp there for the night.
Dec 6: Early morning for sunrise at Laguna Capri. Walk to Poincenot. Rest of the day visiting Laguna de los Tres (to plan shots for the following morning) as well as exploring the local area.
Dec 7: Early morning for sunrise at Laguna de los Tres. Back to Poincenot for breakfast. Walk to Laguna Torre. Overnight at Agostini.
Dec 8: Early morning for sunrise at Laguna Torre. Breakfast at Agostini, then return walk to El Chalten. Afternoon bus to El Calafate.
Dec 9: Visit Perito Moreno Glacier.
Dec 10: Transfer to Torres del Paine. Visit Laguna Azul for sunset. Overnight in Hotel Las Torres.
Dec 11: Sunrise at Laguna Amarga for different view on peaks. Trek to Camp Torres (the closest camp to the base of the Torres).
Dec 12: Visit the base of the Torres for sunrise. Rest of the day exploring Silent and Ascencio valleys. Overnight at Camp Torres again.
Dec 13: Reserve Day - can visit base of Torres again at sunrise if previous day's views not adequate. Return hike to park entrance. Rest of the day sightseeing around park. Overnight at Hosteria Pehoe, for sunrise over the Cuernos of Paine the following day.
Dec 14: Sunrise shots of Cuernos from Hosteria Pehoe. Day visit to Grey Lake and Glacier. Overnight again at Hosteria Pehoe
Dec 15: Can get sunrise shots of Cuernos again from Hosteria Pehoe if previous day's views obscured. Transfer to Punta Arenas airport.

It incorporates all the best sights around Los Glaciares and Torres del Paine.

It's a photography trip, so, although the itinerary is broadly similar to many other organised trips in the area, I'm planning to camp overnight at great locations for sunset and sunrise shots (e.g. close to the base of the Torres, and near Lago Torre in Los Glaciares) rather than just visiting them in the middle of the day, when the lighting is flat and it may be overcast.

I will be visiting the Chilean volcanoes around Puerto Montt after this, as well as the Atacama Desert.

I don't speak any Spanish, so will be arranging a guide. Also, since I will be carrying photo gear, and we also need to carry camping equipment, there will be support from porters or llamas for the trek.

The hiking is easy - it's at low altitude and there will be porters and animals carrying our equipment.

Let me know if you're interested!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:28:24 am by shadowblade »

Praki

Re: Patagonia trip in December - any interested?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 12:48:58 pm »

Ooh sounds exciting ... I wish I could join the trip but I will be in Sikkim. Your images are spectacular ... I was planning the same trip to Patagonia in the Oct./Nov. 2014 timeframe. Pls. take a look at leeonmaui's posts in this forum. He has some awesome images. All the best and look forward to your posts.
Praki.

neways

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:22:57 pm »

What is the cost? How difficult is the hiking?

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 03:23:50 pm »

What is the cost? How difficult is the hiking?

Slightly amended the itinerary, to fit even more into less time, and finalised the dates. I'll have the cost in the next day or so - suffice to say, the more people we have, the cheaper it will be.

The hiking will be easy - unlike in the Himalayas or in the high Andes or Rockies, this area is at low altitude, and there will be porters carrying everything (unlike most commercial treks in the area).

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:05:15 pm »

Cost will be $3900 if we get 4 people or more (currently have 3), or $4700 otherwise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up