Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4000  (Read 3003 times)

thanser

Epson 4000
« on: August 11, 2013, 12:34:26 am »

Seems like the last time I posted here I was asking a similar question about my LAST freebie I received.  Well, here we go again. :)

I just picked up a used Epson 4000, paper tray and roll feeder, for free. All cartridges are in place, it fires up and the menu indicates one cartridge is low.  No problem there.

I see that drivers are still available for this unit, for even the most recent OS versions.  So that's good news. This printer has Firewire AND USB ports. The printer needs a good cleaning and dusting, but it seems to be in pretty good shape.  Eight cartridges in all, also, running Ultrachrome Inks.

So, what do we know about this printer, besides being ten years old?  Is it pretty good?  Or another boat anchor? :)

How does this printer compare to, say, an Epson 2200 I still have?  (Besides being considerably BIGGER?)

Suggestions on where to obtain ink for this printer?  These cartridges are refillable, is that it? 

How would it convert to a BW printer only?  Or keep it as a full color printer?

Any comments on this particular Epson and what to do next with it are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: Epson 4000
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:48:03 am »

So, what do we know about this printer, besides being ten years old?  Is it pretty good? 

It's the biggest clogger that ever was! Like a lot of people, I went through three in my shop before moving on to a 4880. I don't think it makes sense to keep an older printer like that going, unless you're using it with a 3rd party inkset that requires that vintage.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:44:24 am »

With regard to B&W conversion, the cost to convert the Epson 4000 to a B&W Piezography printer would well exceed the value of the printer.  Imho, you'd be better off converting a different printer.  Check with inkjetmall.com

I'd be really leery about clogging issues with the Epson 4000.

thanser

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:38:40 am »

OK, thanks.

I guess I'll pitch it and not even bother buying any ink.  I just thought I'd give it a shot and maybe it would produce better prints than what I already have.

I'm not expecting it to be a high-volume production machine, just a few one-off prints of my own images.  It can print 16x20, so that's an advantage.

Any other suggestions before I give it away? I doubt I could sell it...

smjphoto

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:22:26 pm »

I realize this contridicts Scott's experiences but I was a very happy owner of a 4000 for 5 years or so. My clog experience was not bad at all. I used the machine as a hobbyist so it sat unused for periods of weeks. Usually any clogs would clear up with a nozzle check or two. I only recall doing one or two major cleanings( which use more ink).
I'm pretty sure it prints as well as a 2200. It was the 17" pro version of basically the same technology. It was reviewed very well both here on Lula and through out the web. The prints were very good.

If you have it on hand and it has ink in it, I don't understand why you are asking us, instead of trying it. Ink seems to still be available from epson and other sources, also.
of course if you have more money than time, then by all means buy a newer model ( of course, those might clog even more :)

Good luck,
Stuart

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »

I realize this contridicts Scott's experiences

Well I'm not just speaking on behalf of my own experience, also that of hundreds of my clients and from what I've gathered talking to Epson about this. It is the most clog prone Epson ever made.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

thanser

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:53:27 pm »

Thanks, everyone.

I haven't invested a penny into this printer as of yet, but I just sent a file from Photoshop via Firewire using some plain copier paper for testing purposes.

Yes, my Cyan ink is low, but why won't it let me run any of the maintenance utilities? My first print was barely there, only a few lines of cyan.  Most of the jets must be clogged, but unless the utility will let me clean and align the heads, I'm screwed.

Thanks again.

thanser

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 03:49:16 pm »

OK, you can't clean the heads until you add ink.  I should know that, of course.

I'll have to invest in at least one ink color to go any further.

Thanks, everyone.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 04:20:29 pm »

"Well I'm not just speaking on behalf of my own experience, also that of hundreds of my clients and from what I've gathered talking to Epson about this. It is the most clog prone Epson ever made."

+1  It was enough to get me off Epson and onto Canon!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 08:00:39 pm »

It is the most clog prone Epson ever made.

Followed closely by the 4800.  in several years of use, I've put more ink in the "maintenance tank" than on the page.  My experience closely matches a friend with another 4800.  What a PITA.  Thank goodness I have a CIS.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:44:33 pm »

It may also be one of those things where well-maintained humidity keeps the clogs away.  I've got one of those old 4800 printers that just won't die....  It's certainly worth a try to see how your Epson 4000 behaves and buy a cartridge of ink.  I still wouldn't convert it to K7, as I'd expect some mileage on an old printer, and a printer really does need to be in excellent health in order to survive the piezography conversion, unless you don't mind the piecemeal replacement of printer parts to get the printer back into top shape (dampers, wiper, capping station, etc).

startkapital

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:05:33 am »

3 year ago I bought an Pro 4000 for 100€ plus 60€ freight shipping.
It was a compulsory auction, the previous owner a company did go bankrupt.

It was in neat condition with a lot of dust and no inks cartriges whatsover. I did immedeately switch to refillable cartriges.

Cleaning and declogging took 1 week in total since I let it rest inbeetween. But since I own the printer I printer over 10Litre of Ink with this beast.

For now I dont really use it really on a daily basis but now and then i do print Posters and Adds for customers.
thanks to refillable cartriges I do print at an crazy low Princepoint.

It dont really cloggs for me, the third party ink is very stable. but I had to create custom Paper profiles. Its Octopus Fluids Ink, which they wont sell anymore after this I have to wtich to K3 OCP Inkset and create another paper profiles.

I would have tought that this beast would make so much money, it paided itself within 8 Hours of printing after I set it up and created paper profiles

thanser

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 08:35:30 pm »

Thanks, everyone.

I'm making progress with this Epson 4000, and learning how to do maintenance on inkjet printers thanks to YouTube.  :)

It's nice to have a machine to tinker with while I'm learning. 

I've been cleaning the heads with Windex soaked into a paper napkin, and a 50/50 mix of distilled water and ammonia on to the docking station.  It was a MESS.

The waste tank isn't bad, and I'm not getting any error messages indicating it's filled.  I've learned how to do a Power Clean and also a Super Sonic Cleaning. 

I have received some bulk ink from a friend, but I haven't the correct syringes to add ink into these extra large cartridges.  The smaller needle-type syringes don't seem to transfer the ink into these large cartridges with the spring-loaded valve. 

Thanks again.

cengell

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 01:02:30 pm »

Hello thanser, I got my Epson 4000 at a show in Chicago when it was introduced and have printed about 15 prints and with work and moving still have the second set of inks in it! Every year I power it up as it's been sitting in my garage and during the summer it get hot and in the last few years I have done nozzle cleans and such, got a chip resetter and that works great for the maintenance take reset and decided a few years that I was going turn it into a BW printer as I purchased a broken 7600 on ebay and fixed that for 3rd party color inks, also I had lots of issues with clogged nozzles but found a great and safe head cleaner from www.americaninkjetsystems2.com.

After many uses I got 100% back on the 7600 and then I went to the 4000 as it was 100% not firing! Well after many weeks of soaking and cleaning I got back almost 100% and to get 100% I made up a 3 oz distilled water to 1 oz of Scotts cleaner and had purchased for about $130 a full set of refillable 4000/7600 clear carts and put about 4 oz total of the deluited cleaner and did power cleans and I did about 7 total and also let it sit overnight and then installed MIS BW inks I got the pints of ink for $350 far less than Pizeo inks and did 2 power cleans and am getting 100% nozzles!

Maybe I was lucky as both printers were unplugged for years before I started to get back working with them.

So if you are still thinking of making the 4000 a BW printer because I also got a Canon IPF6300 that has so much more color gamut than the 7600 or 4000 would ever do I so far am happy with little cost made the 4000 a BW printer and with Roy's great QTR program and Paul Roark's profiles I am thinking I will have a GREAT BW printer!

If I don't get the BW quality I expect because I also added a LC & LM so I will have tonal control from cool to warm, but if that's not good enough then Jon Cone's Pizeo inks are the only real choice.

Happy to answer any questions as I am glad to give back....

Christopher 
Pages: [1]   Go Up