Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How does the Canon 6D stack up against the Nikon D600 in terms of IQ?  (Read 10636 times)

hassiman

Hi.... Nikon just refunded the money I paid for a Nikon D600 in October as it was full of oil and dust.  I am now in the market for a digital camera.  I do fine art scenic and street photography.  I was just wondering how the Canon 6D stacks up to the D600 in terms of IQ.  ??? I LOVED the D600's DR but 100's of dust spots were unacceptable.

Has anyone compared these two in terms of IQ in a real-world A/B? ???

Whose glass is better?

powerslave12r

• Flickr
Re: How does the Canon 6D stack up against the Nikon D600 in terms of IQ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:51:01 pm »

A starting point to answer this question would be ask yourself what lens do you think you'll be using for your landscapes. Both are capable cameras and if you liked the D600, and you're considering it again, that means you're willing to take the risk with the oil and dust spots. Just buy the d600 and start shooting. If you're not willing to take the risk, buy the 6D and start shooting.

For dynamic range options: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/16
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

Ajoy Roy

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:13:09 am »

From what I have read
. Barring low light AF and a few gizmos the D600 is a better package all round
. The oil and dust problem seems to have been solved/minimized in the current lot. Any way Nikon has been cleaning up the sensor free of cost for D600.

So getting another D600 is in my opinion a better option to getting a canon 6D
Ajoy Roy, image processing

Codger

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 02:51:05 am »

There are a lot of sources to use when getting a sense of how one piece of gear compares with another.  There are some interesting numbers on cameras/sensors at the DxO site.  In their measurements, the Nikon D600 sensor has an edge in most performance areas.  Numbers are only part of the story, however.  If you have the opportunity, find a Canon D6 and see how it "feels" in the hand, check the menu system, etc.  For many, those form factor and usability issues are as important as having a somewhat higher scoring sensor.  Neither will make you a better photographer, but the better we can use our tools, the better our output.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:48:02 am »

The two cameras will provide virtually undistinguishable image quality, so I would recommend handling both to see what you prefer. Or in your case handling the Canon, since you already had experience with the Nikon.

In terms of lenses, well, both brands offer the most comprehensive lens system on Earth, so there will be little to decide based on that...

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 06:32:32 am »

The two cameras will provide virtually undistinguishable image quality, so I would recommend handling both to see what you prefer. Or in your case handling the Canon, since you already had experience with the Nikon.

Hi Paulo,

I agree, they are technically pretty close, and handling them is always a good idea. The Nikon does allow to print some 10% larger output with the same quality though, should large format output be a goal.

In terms of lenses, well, both brands offer the most comprehensive lens system on Earth, so there will be little to decide based on that...

While true, there are a few lenses that have no real match, e.g. the Canon TS-E 24mm II which might be useful in landscapes as well as other applications. Besides for architecture, it also allows to focus really close which may allow rather unique, macro like, nature shots with adjustable DOF. That lens is very special, offers super image quality, but is not cheap.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

lomenak

• Tomas Stehlik Landscape Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:44:53 pm »

I switched to Nikon D600 from 5Dmk2 and after 2 months I went back to Canon and got 6D. I am very happy with my decision to get 6D, it is a better camera than 5Dmk2 (that I loved!).
I shoot landscape only and the Nikon just didnt work for me, the built quality, the lenses selection, the inferior liveview (mainly!!!). The dynamic range was bit better than on the 6D, but that is not a big deal for me as I always use filters and know how to postprocess.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:47 pm »

Very happy with 6D. I love the wi-fi and the low-light performance. Two images to show you. This is a professional modern dancer during her performance. It doesn't look she was moving but believe me, she was moving all the time. I set the camera to Auto ISO, AV at 2.8 and fired away with the Tamron 28-70 2.8 VC. The AF point to center only.
Eduardo

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:05 pm »

I shoot landscape only and the Nikon just didnt work for me, the built quality, the lenses selection, the inferior liveview (mainly!!!).

Glad you found a camera that you like.

Just out of curiosity:
- what was your main purpose when you decided to jumpship to the Nikon D600? In other words, what problem(s) were you trying to solve?
- what lenses were you using on your D600 vs what lenses are you now using on your 6D?
- how did the build quality of the D600 concretely impact your landscape shooting experience?
- have you ever experienced non optimally focused images as a result on the "inferior" live view of the D600?
- what was the total cost for you of this back and forth?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

shadowblade

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:34:07 pm »

If you shoot mainly at high ISO, you may get more mileage out of the 6D.

If you typically shoot at ISO 100-400, however, there's no comparison - lens selection notwithstanding (i.e. comparing image quality alone), the D600 completely blows the 6D out of the water. Doubly so if you're shooting a typical landscape, with deep shadows and bright highlights within the same shot, and no direct control over lighting.

lomenak

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 12:00:12 am »

what was your main purpose when you decided to jumpship to the Nikon D600? In other words, what problem(s) were you trying to solve?
I wanted to try the great DR everyone is talking about.
what lenses were you using on your D600 vs what lenses are you now using on your 6D?
I had Tokina 17-35, Nikon's 50 1.4, I was going to get 70-200 but you dont find reasonable priced f4 zoom in Nikon's lineup.
how did the build quality of the D600 concretely impact your landscape shooting experience?
Didnt really affect that much. I just threw this comment in there as per my experience. I did feel like I could break it easily tho.
have you ever experienced non optimally focused images as a result on the "inferior" live view of the D600?
Not that I had not optimally focused shots, I ended up with no shots! I have missed way too many shots trying to focus using the liveview..
what was the total cost for you of this back and forth?
Dont know exactly, but I can imagine I would get 70-200 f4 IS for that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:03:27 am by lomenak »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 12:18:05 am »

Not that I had not optimally focused shots, I ended up with no shots! I have missed way too many shots trying to focus using the liveview...

I am not sure to understand what you mean, could you please elaborate?

You are speaking about landscape shooting here?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 06:06:08 am »

The OP does fine art, which means he needs good color reproduction ability. Maybe someone here should discuss this - my view is that Canon color may be a bit better than Nikon color on modern cameras.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

shadowblade

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 07:10:57 am »

The OP does fine art, which means he needs good color reproduction ability. Maybe someone here should discuss this - my view is that Canon color may be a bit better than Nikon color on modern cameras.

Edmund

Accurate colour reproduction means that you'll be calibrating the camera with a profile anyway, so the default colour/white balance settings don't matter. The D600 has a better colour depth than the 6D, though, which means it is capable of recording finer graduations between colours.

eronald

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 08:34:45 am »

Accurate colour reproduction means that you'll be calibrating the camera with a profile anyway, so the default colour/white balance settings don't matter. The D600 has a better colour depth than the 6D, though, which means it is capable of recording finer graduations between colours.

The sensor's ability to record color, which means the CFA's ability to separate colors, does matter. CFAs vary from model to model.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Fine_Art

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 01:41:51 pm »

The sensor's ability to record color, which means the CFA's ability to separate colors, does matter. CFAs vary from model to model.

Edmund

Canon used to overlap the color filters quite a bit compared to Sony sensors. Has that changed?

I find the D600 color accuracy very good if a bit muted. I use the D800 color profile in Raw Therapee.

lomenak

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 07:10:50 pm »

I am not sure to understand what you mean, could you please elaborate?

You are speaking about landscape shooting here?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, I am speaking about landscape shooting. As mentioned thats the only subject I shoot.

What I meant that I missed a lot of shots due to the inability to use the liveview properly at times when taking pictures at dusk/dawn when lighting conditions changes really quickly.

shadowblade

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 11:07:03 pm »

How do you miss focus when shooting a landscape?

Missing exposure is one thing - especially in rapidly-changing light - but how do you miss focus when you're (presumably) shooting well stopped-down, with a focus point often past the hyperfocal distance?

eronald

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 11:24:35 pm »

Canon used to overlap the color filters quite a bit compared to Sony sensors. Has that changed?

I find the D600 color accuracy very good if a bit muted. I use the D800 color profile in Raw Therapee.

Nikon and Sony CFAs may be different even if the underlying sensors are the same - see A900 and D3x

Edmund

lomenak

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 11:56:35 pm »

How do you miss focus when shooting a landscape?

Missing exposure is one thing - especially in rapidly-changing light - but how do you miss focus when you're (presumably) shooting well stopped-down, with a focus point often past the hyperfocal distance?

Yeah you are right about the exposure more than anything, I could of explained myself better. But I do quite a bit of shallow focus landscape shots where you need to focus as accurate as possible. Let alone focusing through big stopper without taking the darn thing off between each frame.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up