Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wedding Photography 101 for the Landscape 'Tog (by the way, it's for tomorrow)  (Read 1960 times)

Rob Whitehead

Hi all,

Shooting my first wedding tomorrow. A change from my normal landscape work. Maybe this will be different? (this is a bit of a last minute thing - long story...).

Canon shooter when doing 35mm, will be using my 5DMk3. I have a few other Canon bodies as backup (7D/60D/1Ds/older) but was planning to mainly shoot with the 5D.

From a quick look around the internet, zooms like the 70-200 2.8L and the 28-70 2.8L seem pretty popular for wedding shooting. I don't have those, but I do have equivalent f/4 versions.

Having just come back from the rehearsal I must say that I'm inclined to shoot 80% of it using the 'magic lens' - the 85 f/1.2L - and pretty much leave it at f/1.2. And then bring out the 35mm f/1.4L for group shots and a few environmental shots, maybe at f/4ish. In other words, I'm thinking that primes are the go for the bokeh and the ability to match the ambient to my flashes.

Planning on lighting with a single off camera 600EX RT with softbox (held by an assistant), and a single on camera 600 EX RT using a Stofen when off-camera is not practical.

Shooting in a small Catholic church, an old building which is not a very aesthetic backdrop - so I think f/1.2 will be my friend.

Anyway, sorting through the rehearsal shots on lightroom now to try and see what works - but any thoughts about the above from those with wedding 'tog experience would be greatly appreciated (or any other last minute pro tips!).
Carpe lucem

Chairman Bill

• flickr page

No experience, but on the back of my portrait work (and covering a friend's grandkids' christening) I've been asked to do a couple of weddings (paid, fortunately), so I'd also be interested in whatever advice comes along. If these go well, I might just branch out & do more - my son is setting up a wedding venue & I've been doing the photography for that as well as advising on landscaping & the like, to maximise photographic opportunities. Hopefully some more work there too.

Without wanting to hijack your thread, if anyone has any advice on the value of wedding photography courses, I'd be interested to hear it.

Rob Whitehead

Well, almost done with the wedding now.

Shot 80/20 with the 85/1.2 and 35/1.4. Plus a dozen shots with the Zeiss 21mm of the crowd in the church before the ceremony. Another half dozen shiots of the ring with a macro lens (Tamron 90mm). interestingly, took exactly 0 shots with my zooms.

Used the 5dmk3 for 95% but the 60D did get a bit of use. Amazing how much louder the shutter is in the church compared with the 'silent' mode of the 5dmk3.

Reception was in a catholic church, reception at a cattle station(!).

For strobe, 2 600 ex rt's. usually switched between on camera and off camera rather than using both. Shot with on camera (softbox) plus off camera (behind the talent) during the speeches. And a big reflector during the outdoors group shots.

Obviously a first wedding is high pressure - but certainly kind of fun. Will be interesting to see if i got any keepers.
Carpe lucem

MarkL

Used the 5dmk3 for 95% but the 60D did get a bit of use. Amazing how much louder the shutter is in the church compared with the 'silent' mode of the 5dmk3

As a nikon shooter I am very very jealous of the 5d3 quite mode, I was shocked when a canon wedding photog demoed it to me. On the D800 it just seems to delay the release with no real noticeable reduction in noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up