Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Paper Size suddenly erratic on Epson 7900  (Read 1678 times)

rwitthus

Custom Paper Size suddenly erratic on Epson 7900
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:44:25 am »

When I print a file using a custom paper size, the print overlaps itself eight times (sorry, best description of the problem I can come up with). In other words, I cannot print using custom paper sizes. If I choose one of the "standard" sizes listed in the Choose Paper Size, I can print just fine. For example, if I want to print a page that is 9x12.5, I now must choose a paper size 11x14 or 10x12 in order to print. Previously, I was able to choose my custom paper size 9x12.5 and print just fine. I am using MAC OSX 10.6.8 and Epson driver 8.68, printing from InDesign CS4. Any help would be appreciated. As I said, this happened suddenly but could have been after an upgrade from Apple. I've attached an image: left is what it should look like, right is what it now prints.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: Custom Paper Size suddenly erratic on Epson 7900
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:26:34 am »

I have the same problem. The only way I found to fix it was to delete the printer, remove all the printer files and re-install the driver.

I did that about a month ago and it worked fine for two weeks. Then it happened again. So I did the same thing and fixed it. I am suspecting an OS update issue, but it also could be that I have a second EPSON office printer that I sometimes print to. I'm holding off connecting to that office printer to see if that is the source of the problem. Do you have another printer on your network?

Dave

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 09:06:18 pm »

I am using MAC OSX 10.6.8 and Epson driver 8.68, printing from InDesign CS4. Any help would be appreciated. As I said, this happened suddenly but could have been after an upgrade from Apple. I've attached an image: left is what it should look like, right is what it now prints.

Since you are working with driver version 8.68 I think it's very likely that you have installed the Apple Epson Printer Update through "Apple Software Update".  This has been a known issue for almost a year, and that update can definitely play havoc with Epson large format printers.  I'm not sure what the latest version of the Apple Epson Update is, but I know it's later that your 8.68 driver version and that's the issue.  That Apple update is meant for desktop printers and scanners only and can have some very nasty effects on the large format printers.  As far as I know the only way to overcome it is to delete all printers and any related files and then reinstall.  Usually the only time you would see the Apple Epson Printer Update showing in "Apple Software Update" is if you do actually have a desktop printer on a network with the large format printer.  However, I don't have a desktop printer and I still get that update showing.  Of course I NEVER install it, so not a problem.  If you do manage to solve your problem DO NOT EVER install the Apple Epson update again.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

rwitthus

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:34:37 am »

I contacted Epson directly and they suggested: 1) delete the Epson folder in MacHD/Library/Printers 2) go to Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions 3) Install the downloaded driver 4) Add the printer in System Preferences. This seems to have solved the problem, at least for the time being. Thanks for the tip about the Apple Epson Printer Updates. I'll be more vigilant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up