Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: deleting old Lightroom applications  (Read 1677 times)

free2australian

deleting old Lightroom applications
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:13:12 pm »

Hullo

I have a  Mac and Lightroom 5.

I would like to move Lightroom 4.1 to the trash.

If it ok please advise best  practice how to ?  This will include all information and catalogues etc.?

thank

you

Sue

PhotoEcosse

Re: deleting old Lightroom applications
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 05:15:49 am »

Can't speak for Apples (I use a Proper Computer :) ) but on a PC when you installed Lightroom 5, it should have picked up the catalogues and all other settings from the LR4 that was already installed. If you now uninstall LR4 in the normal way, it will do so but leave everthing that has been used by LR5.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Steve House

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:03:57 am »

Can't speak for Apples (I use a Proper Computer :) ) but on a PC when you installed Lightroom 5, it should have picked up the catalogues and all other settings from the LR4 that was already installed. If you now uninstall LR4 in the normal way, it will do so but leave everthing that has been used by LR5.
Except it does not delete the LR4 catalog when it's uninstallled.  The LR5 installation and catalog upgrade copies the LR4 catalog files and upgrades the copy to LR5, leaving 4's original catalogs intact.  Then uninstalling LR4 leaves behind its catalog and deleting it when desired is a manual process.  IMHO it's not a bad idea to leave it in place for a little while as a backup until one is sure everything went okay with the conversion.  Storage is cheap, so what if you have some tied up for a month or so.

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:43:23 pm »

I used AppDelete to get rid of LR4 after I installed LR5. Big Mistake. All my presets went away.

Fortunately I was able to recover all the presets from Time Machine.

So on my second computer I just dragged LR4 to the trash. Much better.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 05:27:19 am »

IMHO it's not a bad idea to leave it in place for a little while as a backup until one is sure everything went okay with the conversion.  Storage is cheap, so what if you have some tied up for a month or so.

I'll go along with that Steve
Warren
Pages: [1]   Go Up