Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of Fuji X-E1 questions  (Read 3019 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
A couple of Fuji X-E1 questions
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:01:04 pm »

I recently purchased the X-E1 and have used it on a few shoots.  It came with the 18-55 zoom lens and I have upgraded both the camera and lens to the latest firmware.  There are a couple of issues I have noticed and just wanted to get others opinions. 

1. On the LCD or EVF views, is there any way to have either of the displays show the image as it effected by shutter speed and aperture?  You get the small exposure gauge on the left, which so far seems very accurate, however I would much rather have the LCD and EVF display the view as it will be exposed.  I am coming over from the Sony Nex-7 and that is the standard way the Sony works as most other live view displays.  Once the image is taken with the Fuji, you get a few second view that shows the correct exposure, but I would prefer to have this view before I take the shot.

2.  On focus, the latest firmware has the focus peaking.  However when you are viewing an image and increase the magnification to 100%, trees seem to take on a blurred look like you have used way way to much noise reduction.  Basically you can't tell anything about focus.  With the peaking you can get a OK idea, but I am surprised that the view is so soft.  When I look at the files in either LR or Capture one, they are in focus, but I can't figure out why the view on the camera is so soft.   Is that normal or do I have a setting wrong.

So far I have used both LR 4.4 and Capture One on the raws and both seem to do a OK job.  Capture one seems to have a problem with pine needles and with LR 4.4 I seem to get a strange haloing on some tree limbs, like a combination of CA and over sharpening haloing.  I have CA applied and have backed way down on the sharpening in LR.  With Capture One, by using a local adjustment layer on just the areas of the fine with pine needles, I can still get a very good detailed image.    The clarity of the files at 800 is very clean, much cleaner than shots taken with my Sony Nex-8 at 800. 

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: A couple of Fuji X-E1 questions
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 11:00:39 am »

A few things I have found out since my post.

The LCD EVF will attempt to display the current exposure settings with a 1/2 press of the shutter.  This still does not seem very accurate to me.  I still prefer to see the settings applied to the LCD view as most Live View cameras do, i.e. Nikon, Canon, Sony etc.   I realize you get the exposure bar over to the left of the screen and it does help.

It seems that I have been spoiled by the resolution of the Sony as both the refresh rate and overall resolution of both the EVF and LCD on X-E1 are slow and low.  With the latest firmware on the X-E1 you can use peaking and that is really invaluable for finer wide angle focus, from 18mm to 14mm.  I am curious if the Screen/EVF on the X-pro1 is better for this as it has a much higher overall resolution at least the LCD does.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:06:38 pm »

To make the focus peaking more apparent try setting the sharpness to +2 and noise reduction to -2 in the menu settings. This will affect the in camera jpegs but I shoot raw so it is not a problem. You can save this setup as one of the custom settings.  I typically will zoom into the image at x3 on the zoom as I find I can see the peaking quite accurately.

I have only shot a Sony NEX7 once when I was comparing the X-Pro1 to it, so to me the refresh rate is not a big deal. I do not shoot fast motion or di I have to worry about panning quickly, the Fuji to me is a more slow and deliberate camera experience so the refresh rate has never crossed my mind as an issue. YMMV.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:11:12 pm »

Thanks Alan, i will try your suggestions. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up