Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New noise in 1Ds MkIII images  (Read 1419 times)

wmchauncey

New noise in 1Ds MkIII images
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:48:04 pm »

My shutter count is about 30-40,000 and noise seems to be increasing in my images...what used to be noise at ISO 800 is now present at ISO 400, sans any technique changes.
Just spoke to customer service and was told that it could be because I PP in LR4 and to try using DPP, have not done that yet.

Two questions: what in LR might be aggravating the noise and, if it isn't LR caused, what may cause the problem?        ???
The things you do for yourself die with

madmanchan

• Web
Re: New noise in 1Ds MkIII images
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:01:45 pm »

I find it unlikely that the age of the sensor is resulting in a 1 stop difference in noise level now vs earlier.  One possibility is that you're using a newer version of Lr than when you first started using the 1Ds III.  The earlier versions of Lr used so-called "process version" 2003 which had a lower-detail interpolation and sharpening.  With Lr 3 in 2010 (and continuing through Lr 5 at present) the interpolation and sharpening have been improved for higher level of detail, but also with preserve more noise inherent in the capture.  So, if you are thinking about pictures you may have imported into Lr a few years ago, vs now, that could be one reason you're seeing a difference.  If you want to remove the noise, you can use the noise reduction tools in the Detail panel.  (Previously in Lr 1 and Lr 2 there was some noise reduction happening under-the-hood that could not be turned off by the user.)
Eric Chan

wmchauncey

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:57 am »

Dumbing down what you said...L4 is better at discerning minute detail with noise being that detail...got it.
It could also be my increasing propensity to evaluate some images at 100-200%.        ::)
The things you do for yourself die with

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 09:09:07 am »

Hi,

Noise reduction at the demosaic stage has been removed in PV2010. Try to use PV2003, or increase noise reductnion under the detail panel.

Best regards
Erik

Dumbing down what you said...L4 is better at discerning minute detail with noise being that detail...got it.
It could also be my increasing propensity to evaluate some images at 100-200%.        ::)
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up