Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DP Merrill compared to Fuji X/CaNikon in final print quality?  (Read 6479 times)

Deardorff

DP Merrill compared to Fuji X/CaNikon in final print quality?
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:08:01 am »

Reading about how great prints are from the Sigma DP Merrill cameras. Looking at the Fuji XPro series after using an X100 for a short time. Currently shoot Canon SLR's.

Anyone with real world comparisons or viewing of prints made from the Merrill alongside the Fuji X prints? Or the Canon 1 series or Canon or Nikon Full Frame bodies?

One writer in particular raves about the Merrill, but he also finds major faults with the XPro series that I have not heard from others. So, for me the only real test is in final prints, say at 11x14 and larger.

By real print I am looking at actual shooting on more than test targets in a studio. Very interested in any results you guys have seen or if you can point me to a website with information like this.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: DP Merrill compared to Fuji X/CaNikon in final print quality?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:22:15 pm »

Reading about how great prints are from the Sigma DP Merrill cameras. Looking at the Fuji XPro series after using an X100 for a short time. Currently shoot Canon SLR's.

Anyone with real world comparisons or viewing of prints made from the Merrill alongside the Fuji X prints? Or the Canon 1 series or Canon or Nikon Full Frame bodies?

One writer in particular raves about the Merrill, but he also finds major faults with the XPro series that I have not heard from others. So, for me the only real test is in final prints, say at 11x14 and larger.

By real print I am looking at actual shooting on more than test targets in a studio. Very interested in any results you guys have seen or if you can point me to a website with information like this.

Hello Deardorff,

I own the Merrils and my mother own the Xpro1 and some good lens (35,18,18-55...). I do print a lot lately on two size and two different medium. A3+ on PhotRag Satin 310gsm (my favourite paper) and A0 on standard (but good) photo paper.

I print many files out of many cameras but the Merrill files are awesome (its not MF like but different), especially compared to the Xpro 1, period. Printing show what ppl really need in resolution. If you plan to print only A3/A3+ max size, you don't even need an Xpro1. Just jump on a used (or new) D300s body and good lenses. The Xpro1 seems too... fragile in my hands, especially the lens who are very light and thin... not really made for durability if you ask me truly. The Merrills are by far more tankalike, feeling solid in hands.

Compared to FF, in printing landscape for example, you nail anything except the D800/D800E with the Merrills. They are awesome and, after dazzling you on your screen at 100%, they will dazzle you again when you will print it. Of course all depend off your printer and paper. A0 out of the Merrills are exceptional. You can go beyond A0 easily. But... I do have too some A0 out of cropped photos out of my trusty D700 and they look awesome even in details ...  ;) well you get it :) There is time when you can see how far and deep marketing can root in your brain :D Prints do not lie !

The Xpro1 sound like a good camera, but, after playing some weeks with it (and the ridiculous FW updates process...), it is all but not pro. I know some here (Michael ;) ) who love the Xpro1 but I do not love nor like it. It is too complicated, fragile technologies and not even close to what can do a Merrill (except for ISO but if you shoot B&W with the Merrills ... you go beyond 1600 easy).

Hope It help :) 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:31:44 pm by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

chichornio

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:31:23 pm »

All I can say is that you "must" see a real print from a Merrill to see what it`s about. I print for customers (with Canons, Nikons, MF film, Hassies, etc...) but when I print one of my own files from my Sigma Dp2m, it`s a joy. Not all the pictures behave the same way...but overall the output is amazing at big sizes. Keep your shots up to ISO 200 and the Merrils are unbeatable.

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:19 pm »

Darn, I hoped to put off getting more DPMerrills until another sale. I don't print large (my printer does A3) , but I do like those Merrill images (DP2M is my current camera).

TMARK

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:58:37 pm »

The Fuji's are "pro" cameras.  I've shot editorials with the X100.  I have a friend who shoots the XPro1 system for just about everything but beauty and formal, lit portraits.  That is not to take away from the Sigmas at all.

I'm not sold on the XPro1.  If the Xpro2 has the X100s features and AF, I'd bite.

As to print quality over 11x14, I think the Fujis look too "digital", as compared with a 5d2/1ds3/D800e.  This may be down to lenses.  repetative detail is too crisp, too sharp over the whole frame.  At least to my eyes.  Not sure about the Sigmas, but the files on screen look nice.

Hello Deardorff,

I own the Merrils and my mother own the Xpro1 and some good lens (35,18,18-55...). I do print a lot lately on two size and two different medium. A3+ on PhotRag Satin 310gsm (my favourite paper) and A0 on standard (but good) photo paper.

I print many files out of many cameras but the Merrill files are awesome (its not MF like but different), especially compared to the Xpro 1, period. Printing show what ppl really need in resolution. If you plan to print only A3/A3+ max size, you don't even need an Xpro1. Just jump on a used (or new) D300s body and good lenses. The Xpro1 seems too... fragile in my hands, especially the lens who are very light and thin... not really made for durability if you ask me truly. The Merrills are by far more tankalike, feeling solid in hands.

Compared to FF, in printing landscape for example, you nail anything except the D800/D800E with the Merrills. They are awesome and, after dazzling you on your screen at 100%, they will dazzle you again when you will print it. Of course all depend off your printer and paper. A0 out of the Merrills are exceptional. You can go beyond A0 easily. But... I do have too some A0 out of cropped photos out of my trusty D700 and they look awesome even in details ...  ;) well you get it :) There is time when you can see how far and deep marketing can root in your brain :D Prints do not lie !

The Xpro1 sound like a good camera, but, after playing some weeks with it (and the ridiculous FW updates process...), it is all but not pro. I know some here (Michael ;) ) who love the Xpro1 but I do not love nor like it. It is too complicated, fragile technologies and not even close to what can do a Merrill (except for ISO but if you shoot B&W with the Merrills ... you go beyond 1600 easy).

Hope It help :) 

JV

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 10:08:38 pm »

I'm not sold on the XPro1.  If the Xpro2 has the X100s features and AF, I'd bite.

If the upcoming 23mm lens for the X-Pro1 is as good as everyone hopes it will be there will be a lot of X100s cameras available on eBay or gathering dust in some closet...

Most of the shortcomings with the X-Pro1 have been addressed with the latest FW upgrade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up