Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR or Lightroom ?  (Read 8132 times)

ron ritcher

Re: ACR or Lightroom ?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 10:23:21 pm »

Thank you for the gentle reminder that I've already forgotten how I used ACR ;-)

More to the point: for you wouldn't the relevant differences be between LR output sharpening and printing, and PhotoKit; and between LR selective edits and the kind-of PS selective edits you actually use. iow Would one-stop-shopping work better for you.

Hello again, Isaac, 

I appreciate your taking the time to respond so thoroughly!  But as far as the "one-stop" goes, since I'm never in a rush, AND ASSUMING I'M GETTING COMPARABLE IMAGE QUALITY, jumping back and forth from PS to the sharpening plug-in then over to the ImagePrint program is no big deal -- particularly because I am so familiar with how they work.  Familiarity (for ME) trumps speed, for sure.  I certainly see how busier folks would want to reduce their steps whenever possible though.

Again, thank-you for sharing your thoughts and knowledge . . .

Ron
File/Export "Image Resizing"
Non-destructive and the processing instructions are automatically saved, so just click on the thumbnail of the next image you want to work on, or just File/Exit.

ron ritcher

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 10:29:00 pm »

PS:

Just to emphasize my tech-klutziness, I've managed to demonstrate how NOT to quote a previous post!  Gads . . . something ELSE to learn!

But seriously, I DO appreciate all the answers/ideas; it's reassuring to be reminded that there are many viable alternatives, and that one size need not fit all.

Ron

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 01:12:30 am »

Tim, I ordered an upgrade for CS6 from Adobe and they shipped me a disc.  I assume this option is still available, but I think Adobe has made it difficult to find on their site.  You can only upgrade to CS6 if you own CS5.

I was not aware of this option on Adobe's site, martin. I appreciate you're mentioning it and BTW I do own CS5. Just hope CS6 can operate the same in performance and speed and quality of previews as LR4 on my 2010 Mac Mini running OS 10.6.8.

I may have to upgrade to a newer OS that doesn't run Rosetta apps which I don't think I have any left that I actually use anyway.

Thanks for posting this.

Glenn NK

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 11:32:00 am »

One of the reason I like LR is that I shoot nothing but RAW, and don't like the idea of converting my RAW files to any other format (LR works non-destructively).

I started digital in late 2006, and continue to advance in my PP skills.   I've gone over most of my old images and re-processed them - fortunately all my images are the original RAW files.  Some people keep both the original RAW and the file converted to DNG, or whatever other format, but this takes more HDD capacity.

A feature of LR I frequently use is to create duplicate images so as to compare different processing; LR doesn't really create another RAW file, but creates a separate side-car file.  So I can have multiple PP versions of one file and use very little extra HSS space.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

b2martin

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 09:28:10 am »

Glenn, Camera RAW in Photoshop is also non-destructive - the RAW file is not modified. 

You can also create multiple versions of an image in Camera RAW by making a snapshot of the various versions - all of these are saved in the xmp file. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 09:43:08 am »

LR/ACR snapshots are OK for recording individual images' editing states, but you have to know they exist. Lightroom virtual copies are much more flexible.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 10:33:13 am »

LR works non-destructively
all raw converters work non destructively... you will be hard pressed to name one that doesn't

Vladimirovich

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 10:36:02 am »

Glenn, Camera RAW in Photoshop is also non-destructive - the RAW file is not modified. 
both ACR and LR can modify DNG raw files (not data from a sensor, but a file)... for example update JPG preview (and overwrite an OEM embedded in the process)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up