Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head strikes on ipf8300  (Read 3355 times)

wildstork

• Lawrence Beck Photography
Head strikes on ipf8300
« on: August 03, 2013, 05:16:28 pm »

I replaced both print heads on my ipf8300 last week.  Nozzle check was perfect.  Several large prints were made and all was well.

Today I've been getting head strikes with either sheet paper or roll paper.  Crane Museo Max 255 gsm has never caused head strikes nor has Breathing color Optica One 300 gsm roll paper. 

The printer is striking the edges of the paper and sometimes the center at the beginning of a print.  Black lines are resulting in the margins and at the top center of the print regards of which fine art paper I'm using.  I've never experienced this before and wonder if anyone knows how to correct this?   

Image attached:

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: Head strikes on ipf8300
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 06:07:45 pm »

Have you cranked up the vacuum suction setting all the way for that media type?

And you're not using 'Max No of passes' are you?

You can set the head height higher for that media type if you really need to but I hope you aren't having a hardware suction problem going on...
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

wildstork

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:51:03 pm »

Thanks Scott.
The suction is at maximum as is the head height.  I've printed with these same papers for years and this has never happened so it has to be something independent of head height or suction.  I'm wondering if a scrap of paper is lodged under the print head and is loaded with ink?  I don't know what else it could be.
I am using the "Highest" setting... though not the "Highest" (Max number of passes) setting.
Is there a way to release the print head so I can move it to the center and check to see if there's a piece of debris under the head?  I checked the Canon wiki website and there's nothing there... nor is there anything in the Canon manual.

Lawrence
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:55:55 pm by wildstork »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:48:57 pm »

The suction is at maximum as is the head height.  I've printed with these same papers for years and this has never happened so it has to be something independent of head height or suction.  

Are you sure the suction is working properly? Is it holding the paper down in the platen area? If you've been doing this for years and are suddenly getting this I'm wondering what has suddenly changed or broken.

Is there a way to release the print head so I can move it to the center and check to see if there's a piece of debris under the head? 

Do a 'change cutter blade' function to get at the carriage assembly.

I checked the Canon wiki website and there's nothing there... nor is there anything in the Canon manual.

The wiki is THE place to be for iPF stuff. This exact thing has been discussed over and over again in great detail. Give it another shot.

Also, when you place the cut sheet on a table, does it lie completely flat?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

wildstork

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 11:58:19 pm »

Scott,
I have no way of knowing if the suction is working properly.  It has always worked great until today.  I'm also wondering what has changed.

Thanks for the "change cutter blade" advice to move the head.  I wasn't sure how to go about moving the head so this will help.

The cut sheets that were head struck do lie flat.  Again... I've never experienced this before with even roll paper that was cut into sheets.  This has me baffled.

I'll check the Canon wiki again.

Thanks,
Lawrence

aaronchan

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:41:01 am »

open up the front cover, use some tissue paper and place them into the front cover sensor to let it print when the cover is opened. see if the paper are really laying flat during the printing. And to see if there's any other award thing going on while the print head moves.

aaron

Roscolo

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 03:46:16 pm »

I think I had a similar issue. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did, but in the menu there is Print Head Adjustment, or Calibration, again, I don't remember, but it took about 20 minutes to make a pretty big print and do the adjustment and then all was well again.

I think it's Adjust Printer, then Head Position Adjustment, then Auto.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:47:59 pm by Roscolo »

wildstork

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 04:27:27 pm »

Thanks for the advice.
I'll call Canon today and see what they suggest.

Lawrence

edober

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:12 am »

Hi Lawrence
have you had any success in fixing head strikes on your ipf8300?
My 6300 has started doing that on some A2 sizes paper and on A1 rolls.
It does not always happens, it's really very random.
I tried the Adjust Printer, then Head Position Adjustment, then Auto, but no success, it still does it from time to time.
Regards
E

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 10:06:43 am »

I had a tech replace two heads and he ran this head adjustment afterward . He said that was important. The only head strikes I've ever seen on mine is when using certain rolls of gloss fiber media that curls badly, and that happens on my HP printer as well. So I switched papers and all is fine.

j

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »

Recently the interior humidity was below 10% almost all the time.  In that situation I will get a highly predictable left-right head swipe exactly 8 inches in from the leading edge of the roll paper, if the printer has stood idle for more than about 1 hour.  Then no more swipes for the rest of the print, no matter how long.

However, with the evaporative cooler running the inside humidity now stays at about 30%, and the problem is no longer present.

The paper path adds a nasty curve to the paper at that position, similar to what I see the pictures above.  Too much idle time and too little humidity, and the paper takes a curved set.  The fix was to roll off 8 inches before starting, or even better to do a lot of printing at once.  For really thick, stiff media, I also cut off most the 8" advance.  I think the problem would be primarily with very stiff media, since I never saw the problem with limp canvas, only with rather stiff canvas like glossy canvas.

FWIW, be sure you're upgraded to printer firmware 1.26, which seems to be addressed to printhead issues.  Since I did that I have had no issues beyond the swipes, even though both my heads are near the 1 teradot mark.

edober

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:07:15 am »

Thank you gentlemen!
I will follow your suggestions carefully.
Kind regards
E

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 10:02:22 am »

Just to make sure - did you change VacuumStrngth to "Strongest" in Paper Menu>Paper Detail>VacumStrnght for a type of paper you're using? It always helped me to resolve issues with head rubs on my iPF6350 and 8300.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

edober

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 08:02:13 am »

Hi Marcin
I did not change Vacuum strenght yet but I will try next time a headstrike happens.
Thanks
Regards
E
Pages: [1]   Go Up