Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Right Stuff tripods in canada  (Read 13145 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Really Right Stuff tripods in canada
« on: August 03, 2013, 03:11:17 pm »

Does anyone import the really right stuff gear into canada or do I have to order in from the USA ? If i do, what does the customs situation look like on a 1500 dollar purchase ? I seem to get very inconsistent fees from canada customs, where a 80 dollar item will cost me almost 250 dollars after it ships, versus paying 100 bucks on a 1200 dollar camera purchase.

Any advice would be great.

RFPhotography

Re: Really Right Stuff tripods in canada
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 06:39:06 pm »

I don't believe there is a Canadian distributor for RRS.  When ordering from the U.S., the only add-on should be GST/HST.  I don't think there should be any duties.  What you will run into is brokerage charges on the part of the shipping company to clear customs.  These can be widely variable and UPS is known (and reviled) for its obscene brokerage charges. If you can, order through B&H.  They have put in place a process for customs clearance and tax remittance so that you know what the charges will be at the time of ordering and there are no surprises.  Adorama may have done this too, I'm not sure.  I think insofar as RRS gear is concerned, you're stuck with ordering directly from the company.  That said, RRS does offer USPS Express Mail on international shipments.  Choose that option for shipping.  Canada Post - the agent once the item crosses the border - charges a flat $5 for customs clearance. You'll still have to pay GST/HST upon delivery, but the only other charge should be the $5 (assuming my thinking on duty is correct).

David S

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:22:14 am »

I live in Canada and now order what I cannot get locally from B&H and use their Purolator option with them collecting the taxes which they calculate and show you at ordering time so no surprises. It usually takes the ordering day and two addition days for the delivery to arrive. Last order I made was done on a Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday here in London, Ontario.

Dave S

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:09 am »

As an example, on a $229 Nexus 7 tablet, B&H charges $9.60 for shipping via Purolator, collects and remits the $29.77 HST for Ontario, and charges a paltry $3.50 for brokerage and ancillary costs.  And you know all those costs upfront.  Adorama does not offer these options and the least expensive shipping on the same item is via UPS Worldwide Express at $31.70.  UPS will charge a small fortune to clear customs. 

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 02:57:00 pm »

I've ordered gear from RRS into Canada, including a tripod, etc. There are no Canadian distributors. When ordering:

1. ONLY select shipping via USPS shipping. NEVER, as in NEVER, EVER, UPS (or to a slightly less evil extent, Fedex). If you do, well, I think you've been there before from reading your OP.   

2. You just pay HST/GST when pick up at post office. That's it. No duties, etc, etc. as with UPS and their infamous "open hand" policy at the front door (or 6 mos later via the mail) BS.

3. USPS is pretty quick. Never had an issue (knock wood).

BH - 99.9% of my purchases. HST deducted at source, NO BS fees, fast, (very) cheap Purolator shipping and no questions return policy.  For me, they're the gold standard for buying photo gear be it from US to Canada or buying from a CDN retailer (for me, only when no other choice).  

You can also check B&H's used department, they sometimes get RRS gear in.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:01:44 pm by Conner999 »

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 03:43:40 pm »

I recently bought a RRS tripod head from RRS in the US and had it shipped via USPS and had no problems. The postman collected the taxes/duty when it was delivered (they even take credit cards now) and the charges amounted to just a bit more than what I would have paid for PST & GST in Canada.

I regularly order from B&H several times a year and the charges for taxes (paid in advance) and delivery by Purolator have always been very reasonable.

I avoid using the courier companies (UPS, FedEx, etc.) unless all fees and taxes are collected in advance.

Regards.
Jay W Page

eyeguy99

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:58:09 pm »

I bought a tripod, ballhead, right angle plate, and a tripod bag last year from them shipped to Canada and their shipping fee amounted to around $80.  While I don't recall the brokerage fees, I was told that if they are pre-paid with the courier, you can expedite the delivery as well as minimize any additional costs.  When I spoke to RRS about third-party sales agents, they indicated that all sales are handled directly through them so you won't find any alternative retailers to shop from unless you look at buying used gear.

I phoned them first thing Monday morning to place my order, and the delivery driver was knocking on my door Tuesday mid-afternoon with my package having already cleared customs to Canada.  Now that's service!

One option would be to have it shipped to a post-office box just south of the border if you know someone who has one and perhaps you might save some moola on shipping and brokerage.  Only thing is that if you are a first-time customer, they may not ship to an address that is different than the one listed on your credit card (as I recall when I spoke to them last year).  Currently, I am placing an order from Canada with a request to have it delivered to a US address and they said no problem (perhaps because I'm a returning customer).

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 12:34:36 am »

If you want RRS anything you buy it direct from them in San Luis Obispo, California. Last I heard they have no dealers, distributors, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up