Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: LightRoom6 Must have!  (Read 140106 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: LightRoom6 Must have!
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2014, 06:36:20 am »

Because you want other apps on the second screen?
Is that so you can be distracted by them and work less efficiently?   ;)
LR's not exactly a drag and drop kind of programme. As you've correctly mentioned before, you manage your files from within LR and export things out form there. If you simply drag an image out of LR to a different folder, you lose any work. You can drag images to import, but if LR is using entire desktop simply drag to the LR icon in Dock and it's the same as if you drag LR itself. I use keyboard shortcuts in LR to do imports even easier.

Alt/Cmd + Tab takes to another app if you need to go there. I've always used my software to fill screen or screens and swap between them, less clutter and more efficient. Never understood why people like to waste waste time dragging windows around screen with mouse to access other programmes. Maybe they want RSI.  ???

Sure, Lightroom's second screen is a bit awkward, but I agree with the comments about people using bigger screens. Plenty of other improvements would be more worthwhile.
Yet dual screen support was a very popular request when it was absent and now the same people would like it to have been implemented in a more useful manner. Being able to have library module on both would be very useful when file managing or as many people have said, having Library module and Dev on separate screens would be nice.
A bigger screen would make makes no real difference to how LR works either [for me that is, besides I have two of them. ;D] If anything unless you hack LR, I'd imagine the side panels get less easy to use the more pixels you have in screen, can't test theory because I already hack LR to get panels that are useably wide enough. Maybe if you use the film strip at bottom....I don't as I have a second screen and find library is much easier to use if I only have one screen, such as with laptop.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2014, 06:49:07 am »

Sorry, you've been very argumentative recently, so I'll just reiterate my comments. Yeah, sometimes I do like the telly on my second screen, or whatever.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2014, 06:56:07 am »

Yet dual screen support was a very popular request when it was absent
When LR was first released the use of large 24"/27"/30" was far, far less common. To get enough screen estate people used two screens.
Now 27" is becoming almost a standard for serious imaging, the need for two screens is very much diminished.
As John rightly points out, second screens are often used for other applications, eg mail readers, web browsers, file managers or even just a clock, but not LR.

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2014, 09:50:36 am »

And others would disagree. Even my elderly neighbour who dabbles in photography has two screens. Most of the people I know have two screens in fact and if they work in photography/music/film, then two would be the minimum, 3-4 is not unusual.
Now why on earth would you only use one screen for LR if you have two?

+1

Cheers,
Jay
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

jjj

« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2014, 10:02:31 am »

Sorry, you've been very argumentative recently, so I'll just reiterate my comments. Yeah, sometimes I do like the telly on my second screen, or whatever.
Which is fine and dandy. But in the context of people making feature requests, ostensibly to make LR that bit more efficient, deliberately using it less efficiently seems at odds with this thread.
Argumentative... well sadly people have been talking more crap/posting misleading rubbish than is usual here, such as the innacurate 'Duotones can be be saved as RGB files'. They seem to get abusive if you dare to offer any facts to counter that. And apparently I have a brain tumour, so maybe that is the issue!  ;D

When LR was first released the use of large 24"/27"/30" was far, far less common. To get enough screen estate people used two screens.
Now 27" is becoming almost a standard for serious imaging, the need for two screens is very much diminished.
The second screen adds functionality not just real estate. Which is what those talking about the second monitor are asking for more of, not more space. And the way it was implemented didn't really actually help with real estate as much as it could have done. One reason being that the panels are still stuck on main monitor.

And I really do not get why people spend so much time saying that other people's feature requests are not important. People ask for things that are of no relevance to me all the time. I wouldn't dream of saying that a certain feature should be ignored in favour of the improvement I want. The debates here and on Scott Kelby's site with regard to a version of photoshop with just the essential features showed that pretty much all features are essential, just a different subset of necessary tools for each user.

As John rightly points out, second screens are often used for other applications, eg mail readers, web browsers, file managers or even just a clock, but not LR.
But not by everyone, otherwise there wouldn't be the regular requests for added functionality over what we have now.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:46 am »

Which is fine and dandy. But in the context of people making feature requests, ostensibly to make LR that bit more efficient, deliberately using it less efficiently seems at odds with this thread.

No, it's not using it less efficiently but recognising what people do even if they have a second screen - call it multi-tasking.

And is fiddling around with panel layouts really the same as efficiency? Sure, one or two things might be moved (eg camera calibration) but one of LR's great virtues is you know exactly where every panel is.

Robert55

« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2014, 04:20:15 pm »

The second screen adds functionality not just real estate. Which is what those talking about the second monitor are asking for more of, not more space. And the way it was implemented didn't really actually help with real estate as much as it could have done. One reason being that the panels are still stuck on main monitor.

I'm curious as to what functionality you mean

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2014, 12:58:02 am »

He might be talking about how to manage the Library view on a second screen independently from the Dev view on the main screen.
Or have the tool sets on the second screen.
Or having all the folders on the second screen with the grid view.
Filters and metadata as a option to lock in would also be nice.
I hardly ever use the Quick Dev, Since the space is locked in, might as well have it be the main Dev tool for Basic adjust.

Either way, it isn't designed to have options out of the framework of itself.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

jjj

« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2014, 10:13:16 pm »

No, it's not using it less efficiently but recognising what people do even if they have a second screen - call it multi-tasking.
Multitasking is doing several things less well.  ;)
Apparently less than 4% of the population can genuinely multitask and despite what women like to claim there is no sex bias with regard to who is most able. So yes it is inefficient, unless you are one of the 4%.

And is fiddling around with panel layouts really the same as efficiency? Sure, one or two things might be moved (eg camera calibration) but one of LR's great virtues is you know exactly where every panel is.
And you accuse me of being argumentative!!  :o
Why would people not know where things are if they can place tools in a better location for their needs?  ???
I use programmes like PS and Premiere where one can rejig the layout of the tools to suit the task [and screens] at hand. This makes it much easier, not harder to use. FCPX is clumsy in comparison with it's less flexible layout.

Would you argue against customisable keyboard shortcuts with the same logic? "You know what they are, so why change them?"
Not having customisable shortcuts is a terrible decision as you always end with varying shortcuts for the same tool in different software packages. LR's current keys are a bit batty in places ['b' for quick collection and 'k' for brush  ???], inconsistent in how they work and apparently LR's fixed keys can cause real problems for those who speak other languages and have different keyboard layouts. If you also use ACR, as I do with editing smart objects from PS, you then have different shortcuts for the exact same tools you have in LR, gah!

jjj

« Reply #209 on: March 25, 2014, 10:25:55 pm »

I'm curious as to what functionality you mean
Things like what Phil suggested. The spraycan being in the Dev or Map module could be useful is something else I was just considering. I thought of some more yesterday whilst in LR, but I was busy working at the time and forgot to write them down afterwards.
I did some UI rejigs a while back, but not sure if I kept them.

James R

« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2014, 01:05:36 am »

I would like to see the thumbnails show the grayed out cropped area.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #211 on: April 09, 2014, 08:16:38 pm »

• My number one must have is improved preview performance and refresh logic.  What is especially troublesome is that sometimes (infrequently) previews to not "complete" or "refreshed".  I have deleted some images as being soft, only to discover they were sharp as a tack, but not properly rendered in Lightroom.  As a consequence I use PhotoMechanic to cull images, as I cannot trust Lightroom.
  • I would like to see improved midtone control tools.  I find clarity to be a bit heavy handed and would like to see a way to emphasize midtone details, such as the structure control in C1 or the tonal contrast filter in Nik.
  • Continued improvement of distraction removal tools.  I like the improvements made to the spot removal tool but feel there is lots of room for further enhancements, both in defining the mask shape and in the algorithm to blend the masked and unmasked areas.
  • Finally, please, please tweak the auto mask feature in the adjustment brush to avoid halos on sharp contrast boundaries.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

jaclarkaus

« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2014, 02:12:18 am »

Multitasking is doing several things less well.  ;)
Apparently less than 4% of the population can genuinely multitask and despite what women like to claim there is no sex bias with regard to who is most able. So yes it is inefficient, unless you are one of the 4%.

Apparently, according to a quick search, it's 2% ...

Notwithstanding that ... I have 2 computer systems (different sites) one with 2 monitors, one with 3. I use Lightroom on the one with 3, and often have the preview screen on one screen, while making changes on the other screen, with mail, etc. on the 3rd. Less efficient? No, it allows me to have a holistic view without drilling into a program, then back up (or back and forward it you please). From others in the graphics works, I don't know of anyone with less than 2 screens - I'm sure they are out there ....

At the price of screens these days, why wouldn't you?

jjj

« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2014, 07:25:16 pm »

Apparently, according to a quick search, it's 2% ...

Notwithstanding that ... I have 2 computer systems (different sites) one with 2 monitors, one with 3. I use Lightroom on the one with 3, and often have the preview screen on one screen, while making changes on the other screen, with mail, etc. on the 3rd. Less efficient? No, it allows me to have a holistic view without drilling into a program, then back up (or back and forward it you please). From others in the graphics works, I don't know of anyone with less than 2 screens - I'm sure they are out there ....

At the price of screens these days, why wouldn't you?
Uh, I've used multiple screens for over a decade including a 4 screen setup for Premiere and never said they were an impediment to workflow, because I'm a big fan of using software across multiple screens.

dnmiller4

« Reply #214 on: April 12, 2014, 05:51:07 pm »

I use a pair of 17 inch non-glare MacBook Pro's.  An NEC PA271w display is connected to one of them.  The other MacBook Pro has an inexpensive 19" monitor connected.  Not used for any critical work!

Of course the NEC PA271w display is for digital imaging, client work. 

Dual displays is part of my passion with digital imaging.   

Cheers

David

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2014, 06:41:25 pm »

I don´t know if this was mentioned before, but I would love to have some more features to help the layout on the print module, especially on the "custom package":
- Zoom (mostly to check and adjust the alignment).
- To move (nudge) the selected cell using the arrows or other keys.
- An "auto arrangement" option to evenly space the created cells on the paper.

That is what I remember now.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2014, 06:23:58 am »

• Ability to zoom-in when using the “angle” (straighten) tool
  • Ability to make a fully formatted identification plate with multiple lines of text in different fonts/sizes for printing posters

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2014, 09:30:17 am »

When exporting multiple images using a sequence number, the ability to haev leading zeros: Title-001, Title-002 etc.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2014, 01:13:14 pm »

When exporting multiple images using a sequence number, the ability to haev leading zeros: Title-001, Title-002 etc.

Been there since version 1.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2014, 03:57:05 am »

1) Auto-stacking. I spent over an hour yesterday organizing a mess of pano and HDR sequences into stacks in the library. I would think this could be automated, perhaps based on image capture time - with user set options to control the process.

Sorry to reply to this so late (I'd lost track of this thread), but that option already exists: "Auto-stack by capture time". And it has options to control it. I use it a lot.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up