Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: LightRoom6 Must have!  (Read 140117 times)

hjulenissen

Re: LightRoom6 Must have!
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2014, 04:05:41 am »

And for doing perspective correction, rather than use "boxes", let me:
- select vertical and/or horizontal "lines" (boundaries) that are distributed throughout the image and click on a button that says "Make 'em straight!"
+1

francois

« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2014, 05:21:43 am »

Francois

stamper

« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2014, 06:29:54 am »

"Make 'em straight!"

Define straight?

dreed

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2014, 07:38:33 pm »

Remember when the Mac download was 80-90 megs? Now it's >400 megs.

I'd like to see them remove the book module, the map module and while they're at it the slideshow module.

Then they could concentrate on what Lightroom does.

A large part of the download is to support camera and lens profiles. Over time that will grow.

I don't know if separating out the camera and lens support would deliver the user experience that Adobe wants to deliver from Lightroom.

Maybe that part of it needs to be extracted out into a separate tool that you invoke from Lightroom that contacts Adobe's website and downloads the required files rather than shipping them all? That would eliminate needing to "Update to Lightroom latest.version to get support for your new camera"

jaclarkaus

« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2014, 10:45:35 am »

Maybe do some more with the web module so I don't have to export into other programs.

For those with multiple monitors (I use 3) we need the ability to set which is the second screen please! This has been an issue for ages.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2014, 03:00:23 pm »

Spell checker in the Book Module.
Bob
 ht

wtlloyd

« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2014, 03:01:11 pm »

One thing I would like to have is the same histogram functionality in Library that exists in Develop...along with a better target (bullseye) cursor in both Library and Develop for checking rgb (actually, I use L*a*b values) - or at least allow clipping indicators to work in Library - I find this very useful in evaluating similar images for wildlife when I do my selects and deletes...

Secondly, for speed purposes, how about a "turbo" button, preferably one that can be edited? If image redraws are slowed in Develop while editing due to heavy use of brushes, spotting, lens corrections - how about a menu behind the button to deselect some of the items in the re-draw pipeline that take a lot of CPU strength? It should only affect the image redraw display and not be a true interruption of the processing pipeline - I can see obvious problems with synchronize and export functions otherwise...

I am fully prepared to be educated on just how dumb and unworkable an idea this is  :o

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2014, 01:07:57 pm »

For a smaller installer? How about users like myself that use those modules, screw us? This is a lot like the DNG or Gay Marriage 'debate'. If you don't like those modules, don't use them. I'd be super pissed off if the some of those modules were gone, I use them. I also don't suggest the Photoshop team remove all the 3D functionality because I don't use them.
Absolutely. My pet hate in feature request threads is when people ask to remove functionality that others depend on, just because they do not use it. It's a very selfish and ignorant attitude. And the correct meaning of 'Bloat' in software is actually 'Things I don't use'.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2014, 07:29:15 pm »

I think I have a suggestion that should be pretty easy and not much of a change.

This is mainly helpful for multiple screen users (not sure about 3+), but at least dual....

When you have both screens up, the OPTION (And don't misrepresent "Option" with remove or change. Thats a just not knowing the language you're using) to lock Folder view with Grid view on second screen.

When in Develop mode with Dual screen, once you select Grid view on the second screen, allow the option to "snap" the Folder list to this second screen when selecting Grid view?  
This will allow for us to browse folders while staying in the Dev mode on the main screen since no new files are selected.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:57:13 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

hjulenissen

« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2014, 04:50:56 am »

Absolutely. My pet hate in feature request threads is when people ask to remove functionality that others depend on, just because they do not use it. It's a very selfish and ignorant attitude. And the correct meaning of 'Bloat' in software is actually 'Things I don't use'.
Actually, understanding that making "good" software is a balance between satisfying every narrow use-case (swiss army knife-syndrome) and making an excellent one-trick-pony is a basic skill that most software people get, either in school or later. Not understanding that there is such a trade-off would be pretty ignorant and (probably, in time) lead to a poor product.

As I have clearly stated, _finding_ this optimal trade-off is hard. I don't claim to know what features should and should not be included in Lightroom 6 in order to make it a "good" or "successful" product (but, like everyone else, I offer my humble opinion, obviously biased by my own needs and knowledge). I do believe that having a "man with a vision" helps in many ways making "strong" products. I.e. reducing the influence of traditional "design comittees", "user study groups" or "every developer gets to put in whatever he wants to put in".

-h
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:55:05 am by hjulenissen »

Robert55

« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2014, 12:45:27 pm »

I'd like a more visual way of making /adding to [smart] collections.
Example: I recently trekked 10 days in the Sahara. Obviously, you get the same motif on many days and want to select from them. Currently you have to make a verbal description, like 'camel' (dromedary actually) or 'sickle dune'. Most of these words won't be useful for a trek in the Himalayas. And 'those mountains in the distance that don't seem to get any closer' is also very long.
So I'd like a pane where you can drag and drop photo's on one or more 'piles' for further selection.

jjj

« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2014, 08:39:02 am »

If there ever is a conflict of interest between me and you, I would go for what benefits me, even if it means the opposite for you. I expect you to do the same?
Me, me, me, me, me!
Also, don't assume everyone else as selfish as you.

The entire philosophy of Lightroom seems to be (to a degree) "screwing" the Photoshop concept/users in order to make a leaner, more photographer-oriented package. To do so, some tools (and legacy usage habits) had to go.
No the philosophy was to design a programme that reflected a different way in which photography was being done and for which PS was increasing unsuited. Also seeing as PS still exists how is anyone screwed over?  ??? LR just adds more options and an easier workflow for digital images.
I seem to recall you admitted that you struggled to even get to grips with the basics of PS, you should be thankful an alternative appeared.

Now, a private company that have accepted my money in the past and wants my money in the future, I do offer opinions on how I would like them to proceed.I think it is perfectly okay to ask for removal of functionality. There is even a software term for the problem: feature creep. Every function added to the software adds some cost. You need to QA the software prior to every release, you need to allocate limited developer resources to maintain and improve the functionality, it makes it harder to refactor the software, it clutters the user interface/overview, you need more bandwidth to ship the executable/updates etc.
Me, me, me, me, me!
A modular programme like LR means zero clutter in the interface if other modules are added. And you can simply not update some modules between updates as Adobe has done. All of which begs the question, have you even used the programme?

jjj

« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2014, 08:46:23 am »

Actually, understanding that making "good" software is a balance between satisfying every narrow use-case (swiss army knife-syndrome) and making an excellent one-trick-pony is a basic skill that most software people get, either in school or later. Not understanding that there is such a trade-off would be pretty ignorant and (probably, in time) lead to a poor product.
You are missing the point. Asking to remove functions that you do not need, but others do is purely selfish. It also shows a lack of perspective on the software and is a view that is less relevant in my opinion because of that.

As I have clearly stated, _finding_ this optimal trade-off is hard. I don't claim to know what features should and should not be included in Lightroom 6 in order to make it a "good" or "successful" product (but, like everyone else, I offer my humble opinion, obviously biased by my own needs and knowledge). I do believe that having a "man with a vision" helps in many ways making "strong" products. I.e. reducing the influence of traditional "design comittees", "user study groups" or "every developer gets to put in whatever he wants to put in".

-h
And the problem with that is you get a tool that suits that one person.
The reality with software such as PS is that people use it for a multitude of purposes and to solve a even more varied array of problems. And to my mind, some issues in software are due to those responsible for putting it together, are not really the typical end user and as a result do not always solve the right problems.
Feedback from multiple users can be quite illuminating as they can show where the software is broken or needs modifing in real world use.
In fact the original version of LR was changed significantly in exactly this way and thank god that happened
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:19:05 am by jjj »

dreed

« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2014, 05:08:26 am »

I'd like a more visual way of making /adding to [smart] collections.
Example: I recently trekked 10 days in the Sahara. Obviously, you get the same motif on many days and want to select from them. Currently you have to make a verbal description, like 'camel' (dromedary actually) or 'sickle dune'. Most of these words won't be useful for a trek in the Himalayas. And 'those mountains in the distance that don't seem to get any closer' is also very long.
So I'd like a pane where you can drag and drop photo's on one or more 'piles' for further selection.

What would this do that you can't do with tags?

jjj

« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2014, 11:12:47 am »

I think I have a suggestion that should be pretty easy and not much of a change.

This is mainly helpful for multiple screen users (not sure about 3+), but at least dual....

When you have both screens up, the OPTION (And don't misrepresent "Option" with remove or change. Thats a just not knowing the language you're using) to lock Folder view with Grid view on second screen.

When in Develop mode with Dual screen, once you select Grid view on the second screen, allow the option to "snap" the Folder list to this second screen when selecting Grid view
This will allow for us to browse folders while staying in the Dev mode on the main screen since no new files are selected.
If you use 'D' and 'E' to swap between Develop and Library, then Grid view stays on the second screen.
Sadly I seem to recall that customising the interface by dragging panels around is not going to ever happen, because of how LR was initially built. Having Folders/collections panel on second screen could be useful whilst in all the various modules. I'd like to be able to place the develop settings on the second screen and keep your main screen for the full image. Alternatively allow grid view on main screen in Dev Module and then have second screen for the whole image. Alt+G could be used for that option as currently G=grid view in Library and Shift+G=Grid view on 2nd screen.

jjj

« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:08 am »

What would this do that you can't do with tags?
It would enable sorting visually, which for some people is a better way of working. A flexible, virtual lightbox is something that many people would find handy with image management, editing [not post processing], collating etc and could be more versatile than a physical one.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2014, 11:59:05 am »

It would enable sorting visually, which for some people is a better way of working. A flexible, virtual lightbox is something that many people would find handy with image management, editing [not post processing], collating etc and could be more versatile than a physical one.

I did once see a Microsoft application (never released but designed by the guys who had been behind iView) which replicated the experience of dragging trannies around a lightbox. Instead of dragging thumbnails into a folder or collection list, you dragged them into what looked like piles
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:36:57 pm by johnbeardy »

hjulenissen

« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2014, 01:30:52 pm »

Me, me, me, me, me!
Also, don't assume everyone else as selfish as you.
I truly don't know how to react to your posts. Thankfully most other people on this forum are very unlike you.

-k
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:36:29 pm by hjulenissen »

mkfitz

« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »

I did once see a Microsoft application (never released but designed by the guys who had been behind iView) which replicated the experience of dragging trannies around a lightbox. Instead of dragging thumbnails into a folder or collection list, you dragged them into what looked like piles

Apple's Aperture has had that feature since it was first introduced.  It's called Light Table.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:01:30 pm by mkfitz »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2014, 06:36:55 pm »

Fair point, though Aperture's feature is only a layout tool. What Microsoft showed was building collections or "projects" visually.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Up