Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: LightRoom6 Must have!  (Read 140123 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: LightRoom6 Must have!
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2013, 01:25:13 am »

LightRoom needs a "HOT FOLDER".
Already implemented.
RTFM WRT tethering and auto importing

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2013, 01:35:27 am »

I'm referring to editing time. I will have to take another look at the settings, but perhaps making it part of the RightClick on the folders to enable on the fly might be helpful....But taking a look now.

?RTFM WRT?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2013, 01:38:59 am »

No, thats nopt what Im talking about. Thats a folder you assign for shooting/tethering into.

I mean during editing. And I would hate to go to Preferences everytime I want to editing in a different folder.

hjulenissen

« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2013, 04:09:14 am »

RTFM WRT ...
Feature request: A photo editor that is flexible, yet sufficiently intuitive that I never have to RTFM.

-h

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2013, 04:43:16 am »

No, thats nopt what Im talking about. Thats a folder you assign for shooting/tethering into.

I mean during editing. And I would hate to go to Preferences everytime I want to editing in a different folder.

It's documented in a shooting/tethering context because it was available when we didn't have tethering in LR and was a workaround. But you can use it for what you initially described.

IIRC, iView MediaPro / Expression Media allowed you to set any folder to automatically catalogue any new files. There are some downsides (eg controlling files which the user has moved in Explorer/Finder), but the concept isn't ridiculous or totally alien to this type of program.

John

Rhossydd

« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2013, 02:05:24 pm »

Feature request: A photo editor that is flexible, yet sufficiently intuitive that I never have to RTFM.
Strange, if you look at Adobe's own feature requests it says "users that be bothered to learn the program before asking for things it can already do" ;-)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2013, 02:14:30 pm »

Hopefully I will not get into NDA trouble but the next version will have the optional brain probe that reads your mind. Hope you don't mind the out patient surgery...
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2013, 04:29:36 pm »

Ha, Ha :-/

I remember what RTFM was...but again, that is not what I am talking about.  Yes the brain probe would be a great option.

The FM says...
"Set up watched folders

In the Auto Import Settings dialog box, click the Choose button next to Watched Folder.
    Navigate to the location you want and do any of the following:

To create a watched folder, click Make New Folder and then overwrite New Folder to give the folder a name (Windows), or click New Folder (Mac OS), give the folder a name, and click Create.

To select an existing watched folder, select the folder.
    Note: You cannot choose an existing folder that contains photos as a watched folder."

I DO try and read a bit before I post!

So with that added note, it is just for importing to a new folder. Its not applicable to someone editing within a folder full of images. Lets say you did make a new folder for the new edits to be saved under, and that was the hot folder. As soon as 1 file is added to that folder what happens?   I would also suggest that a Right Click on a folder should show options for such an action.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:44:17 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

nma

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2013, 10:14:51 pm »

Did not read entire thread. Guilty.  What I did read is mostly a laundry of  favorited. Ithink it needs to completely reimagined. Start with floating point, not integer representation. This will allow the hdr eensors of the near future to produce 32-bit floats from the raw data.

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2013, 10:34:58 pm »

Unless I'm missing something having a "Bookmark" facility would be great.  I'll be working through a folder of images processing, ranking, key wording, etc. and then have another import to perform.  If I'm not on top of it (and I'm usually not) I can quickly get backlogged on my images.

I've thought of rankings, keywords, and color rankings but none really work for me.

If you have any thoughts or ideas I'm all game! 

aduke

« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2013, 11:00:40 pm »

Unless I'm missing something having a "Bookmark" facility would be great.  I'll be working through a folder of images processing, ranking, key wording, etc. and then have another import to perform.  If I'm not on top of it (and I'm usually not) I can quickly get backlogged on my images.

I've thought of rankings, keywords, and color rankings but none really work for me.

If you have any thoughts or ideas I'm all game! 

I suppose you could use the flag, Flagged, Unflagged, Rejected. Set the Rejected flag on the rejected images and the Flagged flag on the reviewed images, the deleted the rejected images and change the flagged to unflagged when you've reviewed all in the folder.

Alan

Torbjörn Tapani

Re: Sv: Re: LightRoom6 Must have!
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2013, 11:32:05 pm »

The bottle neck for most people that have just about all things updates ends up being the server or harddrive the file reads/writes to. It maybe worth it for some, as I consider it to have a "staging" drive. A large SSD drive to have all the projects/files your working on and then copy over to the server/main storage.  One thing that would concern me is the possibility of the SSD being bricked/wiped, as it isn't written on to the drive. So perhaps you have to save to the server move files to the staging drive, then move them back?  Not sure. I obviously havnt figured a way for this, but I think I would gain at least a couple hours if I could make things read/write faster. 

I for one get up and do something else while a 1-2gB PSD in max compatible mode starts writing.  I try and do this after major changes. So it breaks up the workflow a bit.

With parametric editing the speed of drives is no big issue. And looking at benchmarks you can see for Lightroom files can be on a HDD. Not a big problem.

Now writing work files from Photoshop is different and again, most of that time is spent waiting for the CPU to do PSDs mandatory compression . This is why working with TIFF that let's you save uncompressed really makes saving files faster.

Having a SSD as a work drive is a good idea of course.

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Sv: Re: LightRoom6 Must have!
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2013, 11:20:58 am »

With parametric editing the speed of drives is no big issue. And looking at benchmarks you can see for Lightroom files can be on a HDD. Not a big problem.

Now writing work files from Photoshop is different and again, most of that time is spent waiting for the CPU to do PSDs mandatory compression . This is why working with TIFF that let's you save uncompressed really makes saving files faster.

Having a SSD as a work drive is a good idea of course.

I think you're right about that. I can't see it hurt having an SSD as a catalog drive, with backups going to another drive.

Jim-St

• http://www.lochaberphoto.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2013, 04:15:24 pm »

What I would really like is the ability to use the straighten ruler in the crop section when zoomed into an image.  Often I find it difficult to correctly draw the line when zoomed out.

+1 for this: the ability to use the crop tool while working in zoomed views would be up at the top of my list for LR6

Jim

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2013, 06:28:23 pm »

Already implemented.
RTFM WRT tethering and auto importing

RTFPost is more like it.

We aren't talking about a hot folder to shoot into. Not an empty folder to auto populate at a start of a project....

I mean to be able to easily select a folder to be a hot folder "on the fly". Images inside already.
So when you browser through the catalog and need to start editing something you mark it as the Active Folder, and it monitors that folder, so  what you edit in PS or other program it creates a preview.
Its frustrating to Edit in PS and every file format you save it in other than the TIF in the same file name it is BLIND to it. You have to Sync the folder.
When you have large amount and size edits, it makes importing time consuming.  If it had a Browser Tab in Library mode, it would make great sense.

Rhossydd

« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2013, 06:43:22 pm »

RTFPost is more like it.
I did, but you've changed what you want with every post.

Posting requests that are poorly thought out or explained is no use at all.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2013, 07:43:24 pm »

I just reread Phil's original post and the subsequent posts in this thread, and I feel he explained pretty clearly in his original post just what kind of "hot folder" he was looking for. He did explicitly state that it was a specified, active folder in which every file that appears there while editing in PS, for example,, would be pulled into LR without the need for synching.

It seems fairly obvious to me that the "hot folder" described in TFM is of no use for what he wants to do. I also feel that a "user-specified work folder" of the sort he describes would be very useful for me and probably for many others as well. Perhaps it shouldn't be called a "hot folder" if that term makes some people think immediately of tethering.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2013, 08:23:22 pm »

Thanks for making it more obvious Eric,

Maybe when some people help design something they no longer can think for themselves outside what they created?.... just force the limitations they create....I donno if thats the case, but, whatever.
I have noticed some LR "guru" folks sit on clouds and can't see past what they know. If it makes sense, they say of how unpopular the idea is without even thinking that popularity shouldn't be the only driving force for innovation.
there is a quote that comes to mind"....Create it, and they will come...".

Then your reply is just as useless. Except you failed to read the entire post....Here is the origial...with some highlights

I have a NEW Must have....(along proper dual screen)

How many times do you have to edit something in PShop and then go back and forth with Synchronizing the folder to finally have it appear[/u]?

LightRoom needs a "HOT FOLDER". A folder that you can designate when ever you work on a project. The designated folder will be monitored and will automatically create previews for the folder gaining new files from outside folders. This would make LR more of a active DAM that you can cotrol, rather than a DUM DAM, ughmm.

Rhossydd

« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2013, 03:24:19 am »

Here is the origial...with some highlights
LightRoom needs a "HOT FOLDER". A folder that you can designate when ever you work on a project. The designated folder will be monitored and will automatically create previews for the folder gaining new files from outside folders.
Your original request was for a singular location, not as you later refined it to being able to nominate any folder to be regarded as 'hot'.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2013, 01:28:52 am »

"A", Yes meaning one at a time. I'm NOT expecting a bunch of folders being monitored at the same time.
 I also put Hot folder in quotes, as I am rather family with the term from printing RIP systems and other scripts that do auto fetch/populate/monitor.
"Any" doesn't mean multiple either.  It's clear that you would have no use for such a featuer. When working multiple projects that require PS editing or external program editing, it would be a VERY helpful feature.

Its only helpful to try seeing posts from all members, (let alone long time contributors with experience) with a little more credit to their understand of whats being said.

oops: revised my sentence which omited "NOT" :-)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:21:46 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Up