Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: LightRoom6 Must have!  (Read 140110 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: LightRoom6 Must have!
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2013, 09:15:12 am »

I think LR should include a Jeffrey Friedl as lots of very useful tweaks would then be at your fingertips.  ;D
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2013, 12:02:01 pm »

I'm not sure it's really necessary. We have a 'soft proof' mode or preview in Photoshop's Print dialog and I don't see the point either (although I'm fine with it being there). By the time you're ready to print, is it really necessary to see a soft proof? I'd suspect you'd have figured out what rendering intent you wanted for that image and you'd have built your output specific edits in Develop (or with Layers in Photoshop) prior to even thinking about making a print. I'm not against having a soft proof in the Print module but I don't think it deserves the engineering resources anytime soon.

Our reasoning was the same.  When push came to shove, we considered soft proofing more from a decision-making point of view, rather than a previewing point of view.  That is, we focused on providing the soft proof functionality that would help photographers make the relevant decisions (which profile, render intent, output-specific adjustments, etc.), rather than providing the previewing system everywhere that it might have made sense to provide it (e.g., Print module).
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 12:04:03 pm »

I had assumed that once you had a soft proofing module, re-using it else-where would not be that complex.

Unfortunately, it is.  Otherwise we would have been sure to include it!

Don't get me wrong -- ideally, we would have the SP preview available in the Print module as well (at least as an option).  I think it would make sense from the point of view of the user experience. 
[/quote]
Eric Chan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2013, 12:52:00 pm »

WYSIWYG seems like a sensible principle for something like Lightroom.
It is indeed and works that way in Develop where presumably you'll make an rendering intent decision that will stick to the Proof Copy and maybe make some output specific edits.
I had assumed that once you had a soft proofing module, re-using it else-where would not be that complex.
Unfortunately there were some preview architecture decisions from early on that makes it very difficult. Develop's preview is somewhat unique. It would be nice to see a soft proof in the Print Module and even apply edits there but it wasn't built for that. I'd rather leave the heavy lifting in Develop then use the other modules to process that data fast.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

lelouarn

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 05:38:59 pm »

Hi,
What I would like to have in the next Lightroom version, is to have, in the import module, a way to be able to use the same keywords as I used in the previous import. That would be very useful feature to import data from memory cards taken with the two different bodies I use while I am traveling (and since most of the keywords I input are location information, it doesn't change much between 2 consecutive imports).
Maybe there already a way to do this, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

John Caldwell

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 06:15:40 pm »

What I would like to have in the next Lightroom version, is to have, in the import module, a way to be able to use the same keywords as I used in the previous import.

Create an Import Preset, specifying all the Import features you care to have, including Keywords. Call up that Preset when you Import.

jjj

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2013, 08:11:30 pm »

On the subject of keywords, please get rid of the frustrating 9 word limit for presets.

John Caldwell

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2013, 08:17:03 pm »

On the subject of keywords, please get rid of the frustrating 9 word limit for presets.

All for it, but what key strokes will allow us to go beyond 9? Opt-1 to Opt-9?

jjj

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2013, 08:21:44 pm »

Or use a mouse/trackpad/tablet..... :)

John Caldwell

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »

Or use a mouse/trackpad/tablet..... :)

Sorry, I am missing it but I not saying you are wrong: How would you short-cut key-stroke Keyword Slot number 11?

jjj

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2013, 09:26:00 pm »

Although I'm a big fan of using shortcut keys, sometimes a mouse, trackpad etc is the better solution. But Alt+1 would do for 11.
I can't be bothered with the keyword presets as it's too crippled, so I just type/autocomplete stuff or click on words from the suggestions box.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2013, 02:37:48 am »

In the Library module I would like the ability to use some colour coding in the folder directories, either by changing font colour or having coloured flags that could be alongside each line.  I have over 200,000 pictures in my main Catalogue in hundreds of folders, and it would be great to ease my eyes when rapidly looking for a particular folder.

Jim

Edit - this would be a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must have'.

jjj

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2013, 06:04:46 am »

Simply allowing LR to show how you personalise folders in Explorer/Finder, would be a good start like other software does - such as Adobe's very own Bridge for example
I use specifically chosen icons or labels rather than the vanilla folder icon to highlight some folders, such as the current work project or major categories to make finding things a bit quicker and find it a bit frustrating that these disappear in LR's Library and import dialogue. A non distracting workspace is all well and good, but not when it reduces usability. OSX's Finder with all the icons one tone is a classic example of this. Thank god I can replace that useless piece of crap with PathFinder.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2013, 06:59:25 am »

I am in favour of coloured folders/collections and text notes for them, but what I think would help most is a filter for the left hand side that acts just like the one at the top of the Keyword list. As you type "Langdale" into the box, for example, only folders/collections containing that word would be displayed.

If you have problems in this area, one little tip is to make more use of the "Favorite Sources" which is accessed through the recent sources (folders/collections) in the filmstrip. I rarely see people using this feature, but I find it invaluable for quickly getting to important smart collections such as "Edited Today" or folders such as "Scanned Contact Sheets".

jjj

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2013, 07:21:22 am »

I also really like the way folders work in the import dialogue, it's a great way to reduce clutter/use space and find it frustrating that a similar thing is not used in LR itself. It would also be useful for collections.

Favourite sources? I never use film strip, don't see need for it myself so had a look, still probably won't use it, but may be of use to others.

jjj

« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2013, 07:35:53 am »

A tiny tweak that I'd like is to do with hidden panels. I tend to auto-hide the top and bottom panels so if I need them I move my cursor to top/bottom of screen and they appear. However should I very briefly move my cursor over there whilst mousing around screen I do not need them to instantly pop up and obscure my workspace. There needs to be a brief wait time before panel appears. I use always full screen mode and should I need the menu bar, I move mouse to top hover very briefly and it appears and never does so unless I pause mouse at top of screen. Which is perfect and how all the panels should operate.

I should mention the reason the panels appearing if a cursor very briefly passes over them is so annoying is that they can be really slow at returning on my desktop machine. The laptop is much better in that respect.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:48:51 am by jjj »

John Caldwell

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2013, 08:06:28 pm »

I am in favour of coloured folders/collections and text notes for them, but what I think would help most is a filter for the left hand side that acts just like the one at the top of the Keyword list.

Yes! Once we have a dozens, or more, Collections the inability to Search or Filter within is a real problem. FWIW, this has been on my Wish since LR3, and the record speaks for itself. But from a programming standpoint, I'll guess it's not burdensome.

John-

hjulenissen

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2013, 03:03:50 pm »

The ability to switch (as rapidly as possible) between two images _without_ having annoying intermediate renderings presented. In library mode I am all for presenting an "early" pre-rendering for having "something" as early as possible. In development mode, I'd rather wait for the final result.

-h

hjulenissen

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »

"Softproofing" of printed sharpness. I don't care how it is done (actually, I think it is an interesting question, but let's leave that for now). Perhaps it will only be available for special displays (retina macbooks, or connected retina iPads) and selected printers (Epson might be an obvious choice, but I am hoping for Canon as well).

If a given printer/driver/driver setting/paper/ink/... is at all repeatable, then it must be possible (somehow) to measure and characterize it. If you have a display with incredible pixel density, then it must be possible to make some perceptually relevant "simulation" of the printed spatial distribution (no matter how crude, it ought to be better than "not simulated at all")?

-h

jjj

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2013, 05:02:37 pm »

Interesting idea.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Up