Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: LightRoom6 Must have!  (Read 140098 times)

ButchM

Re: LightRoom6 Must have!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 09:54:06 am »

Sorry, but a few replies come from a very acute perspective, or experience pool... and I can't blame you...You don't know what you don't know.  Perhaps I don't know something I have no idea about. Very possible.

You shouldn't assume what some folks "don't know" ... I opened my custom pro darkroom serving a select group of 20 portrait/wedding pros in 1979,  I opened my own studio in 1980, by day, from 1988 to 2003, I was a chief photographer/photo editor for a medium size daily newspaper ... additionally, I was their itinerant trainer for Ps and color calibration/profiling for prepress CMYK workflow at the entire chain of 16 papers ... photography has been my sole source of income since 1978 ... I'll let you determine if that qualifies as "professional" ... I converted to a complete digital workflow long before it became popular with the cool kids and have been using Photoshop long before it became a verb.

I may indeed have been comparing apples and oranges ... I was merely pointing out that the trend from here into the future is going to be increasingly in the digital medium with the necessity for a pixel level workflow is going to be an increasingly smaller segment of the market ... professional or otherwise. I'm sorry that upsets you ... but that IS the trend. No different than burning images to CD/DVD is growing passé ...

..ok maybe a few on Aperture with 1 monitor(In case they have to fit the Apple status quo of "don't think, we got everything figured out for you. This IS how you'll do it").

Well ... for someone who seems to take it personally when others mention you may hold a minority point of view ... you seem to spend some time pointing out other minority views. Your opinion of Apple and Aperture seem to be based upon ignorance and not actual work experience with the OS and Aperture. It's like politics, some folks think if you repeat untruths often enough, in time, the general populous will accept them as fact ... your assumptions of Apple and Aperture in this respect are way off the mark. While I have my own issues with Apple, and Aperture 3 (nor do I believe they are perfect) ... the idea that Apple is a closed and confined system with limited customization and strict usability is simply not true. It is actually quite the opposite when compared to Lightroom.

I have FAR more control, customization and freedom in my workflow using Aperture 3 than has ever been available in Lightroom 5 ... dual monitors ... no problem ... it isn't perfect, but it works a heck of a lot better than it does in Lr ... Can you fully customize and create you own set of keyboard shortcuts in Lr? Didn't think so ... in Aperture 3 you can. Does that sound like a ... "This IS how you'll do it attitude?"

I personally don't find the need for dual monitors ... when I can go to a true full-screen mode (not what Adobe thinks is full screen mode either) in a single keystroke, bring up the Heads Up Display (HUD) with another keystroke, adjust and process the image, add/edit metadata, navigate my entire library from the same panel ... even temporarily hide the HUD except the slider I'm adjusting so I can actually see my full or zoomed in image using nearly EVERY pixel available in my monitor ... use another single keystroke to go to thumbnail view of my project to select the next image, another keystroke back to full view ... all on a single 27"-30" monitor ... I don't need two monitors to get the job done properly ... I can see my pixels just fine without using two viewing sources to complete the task. Unlike the days of yore, when working with Ps on two CRT screens, placing tools on one screen and images on the other, I fail to see how a second monitor would further enhance my finished product given the ease of use my chosen workflow offers. YMMV.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 04:58:00 pm »

You are probably right about some of your second paragraph..I think I was cursing my iPhone at the time :-) I used to work on MAC's, but I aslo knew how PC's work. PC allowed me to know more about how they work. MAC programming was not open for a long time (OS based on Linux). So you are likely right about that.

Don't read too far into it...but I only state that as some people are in the mindset that PC can't even do "graphics" as well as Apple...and that is the weight of my reply to that. 

Back to the keyword you mention...TREND!  Why make a sw that pro's DO use and limit the functionality? That is my gripe...WHY closed, not open with option? It isn't more expensive. It is less on the long run.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

ButchM

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 09:58:35 pm »

Back to the keyword you mention...TREND!  Why make a sw that pro's DO use and limit the functionality? That is my gripe...WHY closed, not open with option? It isn't more expensive. It is less on the long run.

I couldn't agree more ... and that is exactly why I moved my workflow from Lightroom to Aperture 3 ... So far in 2013, I have created over 100 books and albums and nearly 150 multi-media slideshows for clients ... none of them in Lr because of the limitations therein ... Adobe just doesn't seem to think those modules are important enough to flesh out and offer true freedom of control over the process ... so rather than bang my head against the wall ... I opted out. Mainly because whenever I would discuss my concerns I was told by many other users that I was in the extreme minority and I should just be quiet and let the big boys do their thing without me rocking the boat ... Which is why I eluded to the fact, your request may not see much movement in the near future ...

While I do miss a couple of features and functionality of the Lr Develop module ... I don't miss having to export thousands upon thousands of derivative files to complete tasks in other software to serve my clients ...

If Adobe would ever decide to bring the entire Lr app up to speed, I'd gladly reconsider returning ...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 10:51:41 pm »

Makes sense to me ButchM,

Maybe Aperture can offer a PC version, but looking at iTunes makes me run think not.

rebadurchee

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 12:53:45 am »

Coming in a bit late, here.  I am not a professional photographer or graphic artist, however I do use dual monitors.  I originally went to dual monitors for my day job so as to have greater efficiency with my productivity programs.  That I could  move PS menus to the second monitor was simply fabulous.

I was disappointed when I got LR3 and now LR4 that I couldn't make use of the two monitors.  (I'm not upgrading to LR5 until they fix the small export sharpening issue).  I would love it if LR could make use of dual monitors.  Count me on your petition!

SunnyUK

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 05:47:10 am »

If I can get the majority of users to nod that they use dual screen, I can make my case for the NEED to seperate the Lib from Dev functionality!

Yep. Adobe is going to listen to YOU rather than the thousands of users they hear from on their own forums. Because, let's face it, you and The Luminous Landscape are the bees knees, and Adobe know better than to trust its market research. All you need to do is get "the majority of users to nod" (the majority of what? users here?) and then they will certainly tell their software architects to change tact.

This is LR achilies heel, and it is frustrating jumping back and forth.
Seriously, I would think single screen users would rather Alt Tab then keep chasing locations and files ...If it weren't for the Go to Folder, I would be LOST!
But you can only do that in Dev to Lib mode, WhatInTheWorld!!! Then switch back to Dev mode to work!!! Just insane! 
How backwards and dumb do we have to be to not think there are better ways to go about doing something?

There you go. Throw in a few exclamation marks and insults, and that will win you instant agreement from the masses.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 09:18:23 am »

Hi,

Mac OS X is not based on Linux, but uses the GNU tool chain, that Linux also uses. The kernel in Mac OS X is Mach, and Apple doesn't use X11, that is mostly used in Linux but uses Quartz.

Best regards
Erik

You are probably right about some of your second paragraph..I think I was cursing my iPhone at the time :-) I used to work on MAC's, but I aslo knew how PC's work. PC allowed me to know more about how they work. MAC programming was not open for a long time (OS based on Linux). So you are likely right about that.

Don't read too far into it...but I only state that as some people are in the mindset that PC can't even do "graphics" as well as Apple...and that is the weight of my reply to that. 

Erik Kaffehr

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 01:03:35 pm »

There you go. Throw in a few exclamation marks and insults, and that will win you instant agreement from the masses.

The masses? They are the minority using dual screen! You contradict yourself. And the marks.....
What usually happens is I will be working, and repeatedly I come across something that is hindering my work, it slows me down. Then I think why are there such restrictions on how THIS software is laid out vs the majority that understand the advantage...IN PARTICULARLY AN IMAGING software, the base of where dual screen is so useful.  Obviously Adobe gave it a burp of a thought, but they never completed it! (another exclamation mark for you)

Let me guess, you don't use dual screen?

Yep. Adobe is going to listen to YOU rather than the thousands of users they hear from on their own forums. Because, let's face it, you and The Luminous Landscape are the bees knees, and Adobe know better than to trust its market research. All you need to do is get "the majority of users to nod" (the majority of what? users here?) and then they will certainly tell their software architects to change tact.

Saddly true. with all the new photographers that enter the market every day, they are new to the game...Not knowing how useful dual screen is.
It will take time for that to weed out those that drop it, those that accept it, and those that want to work faster/more control.
Some gamers I can see know right away the benifits. But I think they rather be gaming :-)

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 01:22:03 pm »

I would use dual screens if the implementation was better.  However, the app is designed to work in restricted monitor resolution, so it works quite well on a single monitor.  I would prefer to see developer resources expended on fixing preview performance and reliability before tweaking dual monitor UI.  IOW, fix the basics first.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 01:32:01 pm »

Hi,

I had two screens for a while, but I don't have enough space. Another thought, a larger screen may be better than two smaller ones.

I am actually quite happy with Lightroom.

Best regards
Erik

I would use dual screens if the implementation was better.  However, the app is designed to work in restricted monitor resolution, so it works quite well on a single monitor.  I would prefer to see developer resources expended on fixing preview performance and reliability before tweaking dual monitor UI.  IOW, fix the basics first.
Erik Kaffehr

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 01:48:31 am »

I would prefer to see developer resources expended on fixing preview performance and reliability before tweaking dual monitor UI.  IOW, fix the basics first.

I don't see a lot of lag in performance, unless I've been getting used to it?
I have yet to have LR crash on me in a Win7/64bit OS. I did start from LR3 as I was using C1 and ACR before hand.

I am actually quite happy with Lightroom.

Glad you made a choice that fit your needs Erik.
LR is in many ways a familiar UI. All things flow as much as it can with the OS. C1 is the antithesis of this.

I do enjoy LR greatly. I do resist to one track minded thinking. 
For now it is great, as I HAVE to use LR since it is the only other Dev (other than C1) that can process IIQ files (besdies a couple exotics). I tried Dxo some time back, and that looked rather perfect for my needs. But they have this full approach of support a foramt with all the lens line. They did reply back and say that they have no intention in the near future to support IIQ.

So I fit in the exotics in dual screen mode, and format mode...What else can be snowballing down on my climb up?

hjulenissen

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 03:01:45 am »

I use two screens. I had an older 20" 16:10 LCD sRGB screen, and I purchased a 27" 16:10 LCD wide-gamut screen a couple of years ago. I keep the 20" rotated as a secondary screen because:
-It lets me view portrait pictures larger than my 27"
-It lets me keep track of the "big picture" while zooming in on details on the 27"
-When viewing details at 1:1 pixel, the picture is somewhat magnified
-I am always doubting my WB/color stuff, having two representations is comforting (+ non-color-aware applications look a lot better on the sRGB calibrated 20" without having to dive into any menus)

Having one, larger screen with the same area would be tempting but probably more epensive.

-h

Simon Garrett

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 03:41:24 am »

I have 24 inch wide-gamut and 19 inch normal (approx sRGB) gamut monitors, both calibrated/profiled. 

Always happy to see improvements, but the current dual-monitor support works for me. 

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 02:32:20 pm »

-It lets me view portrait pictures larger than my 27"
-It lets me keep track of the "big picture" while zooming in on details on the 27"
-When viewing details at 1:1 pixel, the picture is somewhat magnified
-I am always doubting my WB/color stuff, having two representations is comforting (+ non-color-aware applications look a lot better on the sRGB calibrated 20" without having to dive into any menus)

EXACTLY some of the uses I make of it also. Also if you do any other than the well know "go make a cup of coffee" or wiggle your fingers while some processes take a few minutes.... great for multi tasking.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 02:35:52 pm »

The changes needed are not big...They should be rather straight forward for Adobe...
They have Bridge already!! Just adapt that into the Grid mode (or vise versa).

How hard is that?!! 

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 02:37:39 am »

I would love to see a print cell where I can move around the image in the cell, resize in that cell as I like with the hand grabber etc. I could do this inn Qimage and it made my printing tasks so much easier. LR printing is still incomplete, albeit very well done, and prints beautifully.

Another feature I'd like not necessarily a must have, is right click and add to collection on an image or multiples. I have so many folders and collections it's a pain to go way up to a folder, select, then scroll all the way back down in the list until I find the collection. Do this many times and you see why it'd be more efficient to put a right click add to collection!

John Caldwell

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 08:25:28 am »

I'm pretty sure your wrong, almost all the photographers I know that use PS/LR use dual monitors...

I'm pretty sure he's not wrong, not that making dual monitors truly functional isn't worthy.

Still want:

1) Relative adjustment presets
2) The ability to Search Collections for content, namely text with collection names
3) The ability to search for Print as a Develop History state.

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:28:49 am by John Caldwell »

hjulenissen

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 08:39:54 am »

I would love to see a print cell where I can move around the image in the cell, resize in that cell as I like with the hand grabber etc. I could do this inn Qimage and it made my printing tasks so much easier. LR printing is still incomplete, albeit very well done, and prints beautifully.

Another feature I'd like not necessarily a must have, is right click and add to collection on an image or multiples. I have so many folders and collections it's a pain to go way up to a folder, select, then scroll all the way back down in the list until I find the collection. Do this many times and you see why it'd be more efficient to put a right click add to collection!
Given that Lightroom seems to be all about "photography collection management" as opposed to "image editor", I am surprised at how limited the search options are, and how fixed/preset-based the DTP-areas are.

One would think/hope that Adobe wants to appeal to most photographers with LR, from those with an ixus and 500 images ordering prints online, to those with MFDB and collections of 100.000 images printing with a large Epson, probably focusing most of their efforts somewhere between those two extremes. I can see why making a robust, intuitive, high-quality application for such a crowd is challenging, but I can not see why Adobe  seems to artificially limit its potential to avoid stepping on the toes of other products. At $100, the typical LR buyer may not purchase $1000 software no matter what. If a particular feature will make him/her more happy, chances are that he/she will continue paying for LR upgrades rather than switching to some competing product.

-h

jferrari

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:02 am »

You've touched upon an area of LR that I feel needs more attention - the Print Module. I would like to see the ability to select multiple cells in order to move or delete them and also the ability to "nudge."
Nothing changes until something changes.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 06:10:38 pm »

LR 6 ought to auto-synch catalogues across devices - laptop-desktop-tablet (if Adobe follows through with the potential created by Smart Previews) amongst other things already mentioned (improved book, slideshow, print modules).

It took me a long time to get used to the pop-up filmstrip along the bottom, but now that I am, it is invaluable for navigating without going back to the Library.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up