Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down

Author Topic: LightRoom6 Must have!  (Read 140581 times)

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
Re: LightRoom6 Must have!
« Reply #340 on: February 04, 2015, 07:01:52 pm »

Agreed. Quick Develop is one of the best features (and little understood) areas of Library. It is the sole place where relative adjustments are possible. More flexibility would be great. I don't know if sliders would help the intuition of the feature however.  Since the adjustments are relative, the arrows are much more descriptive of what is actually going on.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

John Caldwell

« Reply #341 on: February 04, 2015, 08:06:41 pm »

The treatment for this problem is to actually have Relative Adjustments available in Develop. To have access this feature in the module where no one actually does serious image processing, Library; instead of in Develop, is odd - no? Odd or not, Relative Adjustments should be in Develop, through Preset, Synchronize or some other means.

John Caldwell

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #342 on: February 04, 2015, 08:24:25 pm »

I certainly see your point Larry, and I also would agree with John. I see them as each a "crossover" feature .
Of course keep the feature in the Library, but have the hybride of the opposite.  So both having the same features now, but in hybrid. The dominant being the same, but the added feature of the opposite.  

I honestly never used the 1/3 across a group of images, and maybe I never felt the need, but sure see its use...YET, I would like at least the exposure and the main adjustments to be a available with sliders as an option to adjust while browsing around in the images, and then go to full dev after evaluating the images.  I guess this thought came to me after needing it and I got tired of doing all the multiple clicking and then using the >> which is a 1 stop, and finding that often to be too much in multiple clicks , etc.

In the end, its all digital, how hard is a flyout set of sliders tools in one module vs a set of linear stop click tools in the other module :-)

I have to admit, there are much more important Must Haves :-)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:01:19 am by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #343 on: February 06, 2015, 01:11:50 pm »

The treatment for this problem is to actually have Relative Adjustments available in Develop. To have access this feature in the module where no one actually does serious image processing, Library; instead of in Develop, is odd - no? Odd or not, Relative Adjustments should be in Develop, through Preset, Synchronize or some other means.
That's exactly what I though, but even better have it in both places.
Relative adjustments would be very useful for presets.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #344 on: February 12, 2015, 07:18:18 pm »

Drag and drop quick edit function would be useful to have
Otherwise I'm mostly happy speed could be better though

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #345 on: February 13, 2015, 12:19:56 am »

Yes, I think speed is #1.
At some point you have to think, it is taking advantage of X# of processors, it is using all the ram, it is making thumbs in the DB for small sizes as option, and although catalogs can be very small, large, med, XL, etc...

What is the threshold for optimal speed?
After how much does it see a real sluggish performance?
What can the software developers do to make things faster?

These are things I wonder if they are just a matter of the DB size. Maybe there is a sweet spot to breakup the DB into multiple?  I already have with image usgae, but still have lots  of images in a couple of them.

Another thing I have been doing...Spot removal in Photoshop. Why use up all that math to image which does slow things down when I don't expect to undo this edit.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

NancyP

« Reply #346 on: February 13, 2015, 04:55:33 pm »

Gosh, I learn something new every day. I never thought to explore the "quick develop" in Library.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #347 on: February 16, 2015, 11:14:36 am »

It would be helpful to see a time stamp when you passed the cursor over an entry in the History log.

jferrari

« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2015, 02:49:55 pm »

It would be helpful to see a time stamp when you passed the cursor over an entry in the History log.

You mean you don't? By default I see the date and then the time with no need to hover. Or maybe I don't understand what you are looking for. ???
Nothing changes until something changes.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2015, 04:07:10 pm »

You mean you don't? By default I see the date and then the time with no need to hover. Or maybe I don't understand what you are looking for. ???
I see date and time for import and exports, but not for edits. This is good news if the feature is already there. Anyone know how to turn it on?

jferrari

« Reply #350 on: February 16, 2015, 06:07:31 pm »

I see date and time for import and exports, but not for edits. This is good news if the feature is already there. Anyone know how to turn it on?

Ok, now I see what you mean. I have the date/time for import and exports, but not for edits. Sorry.
Nothing changes until something changes.

jjj

« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2015, 09:00:14 am »

Out of curiosity, why would you need this?

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2015, 03:53:33 pm »

Out of curiosity, why would you need this?
If I had a better workflow I wouldn't, but... I sometimes take a long time to process a photo - as in months. I'll get to a point to where I'm happy with it and leave it for awhile. Then a couple months later I'll go take a look and be tempted to make some changes, and I do, maybe a long string of subtle edits. Then I want to compare it to where it was before and I go take a look at the History log so I can click at the point where I was before (last month, this morning, etc.) and I can't tell where that was. If I had exported or printed at a previous stopping point then I'd be OK, but sometimes I haven't.

I suggest showing the date/time stamp as a mouse-over because there really isn't room to show it with the edit description and it would just add clutter.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #353 on: February 17, 2015, 04:26:24 pm »

I sometimes take a long time to process a photo - as in months. I'll get to a point to where I'm happy with it and leave it for awhile. Then a couple months later I'll go take a look and be tempted to make some changes, and I do, maybe a long string of subtle edits. Then I want to compare it to where it was before and I go take a look at the History log so I can click at the point where I was before (last month, this morning, etc.) and I can't tell where that was.

Snapshots provide essentially this functionality—and even default to assigning a timestamp as the snapshot name.  To compare the parameters used for different sets of edits, just keep an eye on the slider values as you cycle among different snapshots.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #354 on: February 17, 2015, 04:40:48 pm »

Snapshots provide essentially this functionality...

Thank you Chris. I tried using Snapshot and it does not correlate the snapshot to a point in the History log.  I want to know where in the History log the snapshot was taken.  Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:48:22 pm by pcgpcg »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #355 on: February 17, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »

Thank you Chris. I tried using Snapshot and it does not correlate the snapshot to a point in the History log.  I want to know where in the History log the snapshot was taken.  Am I missing something?

If you're not working from the top of the history stack, you need to highlight the step within the stack that represents the parameters for the image you want to preserve before clicking the "+" snapshot button.

This is easier to do prospectively than retrospectively.  Based on your scenario, when you first achieve an image that satisfies you, create a snapshot at the current top of the history stack.  If you subsequently tweak the file and achieve a new image you want to memorialize, create another snapshot at the updated top of the history stack.  I hope that's clear.

Lightroom's history, as I understand it, is primarily intended simply as a record of how you arrived at the current state of the image's processing.  Snapshots and virtual copies are a better way to preserve alternative post-processing states than hunting around in the history stack.

If you don't already have a copy, my experience is that Jeff Shewe's book, "The Digital Negative," provides useful guidance on how best to exploit these features.  (Jeff is an active contributor to this forum, by the way.)  I don't know whether he plans an update when LR 6 is released, but the current version of the book probably will remain useful for quite a while.

jjj

« Reply #356 on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:16 am »

Yup snapshots and virtual copies are a much better ways of doing what you want Paul.
So as soon as you get to a point you like with an image make a VC. Though it's a good idea to do a snapshot of a VC as for some bizarre reason VC's are not stored in XMP, whereas snapshots are.
So if you back up to xmp and your catalogue goes squiffy, you do not lose any develop edit variations. You should also back up your catalogue BTW.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #357 on: February 18, 2015, 11:38:16 pm »

The only way I can get a time stamped snapshot record to appear in my history stack is to click on the snapshot after it has been created, and then it is placed in the history stack at whatever point I am currently at, which has no correlation at all to the point at which that snapshot was originally taken.

jjj

« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2015, 08:19:20 am »

The time something was done is a bit of a red herring Paul. It doesn't really matter, nor in a programme like LR does the history order matter that much. Everything is re-editable at any point and you mostly do not really need really need history unless you want to return to a specific state. So if you do a snapshot/VC at every point you think is significant or have 'finished' then you can go 'back in time' that way without worrying about when something was done. History in a programme like LR is quite different from History in a programme like PS where the order things are done can matter.
VCs and snapshots were invented as a better more versatile way of doing what you need, rahter than stepping back through history.

jjj

« Reply #359 on: February 19, 2015, 08:36:32 am »

Here's an image that I have numerous variations of. Some for different looks and others are to demonstrate LR techniques.
As you can see there are an awful lot of snapshots [21] and also a selection of VCs [10] as seen on second monitor. More than usual, but this is a demo shot.
I give snapshots a name that mean something to me and I do not worry about the date or order I do something in, because it doesn't really matter anymore. But if it did, snapshots get a default name of date/time, which you can add to or modify.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up