Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lee Filters on a Sony RX1?  (Read 4652 times)

derAngler

Lee Filters on a Sony RX1?
« on: August 02, 2013, 08:02:51 pm »

Hi all, is it possible to mount Lee ND Grad filters on the Sony RX-1 by using the Lee Foundation Kit and a 49mm Adapter Ring? Is there any vignetting when using 2 filters and a polarizer with this setup?

Thanks, Jan

derAngler

Re: Lee Filters on a Sony RX1?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:52:25 am »

Okay, maybe my question was not precise enough.
Is it possible to use the standard Lee Foundation Kit with an RX1/RX1R or do I need the Lee Seven5 Kit for this camera?

derAngler

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:12:34 am »

Okay guys, here is the answer from Lee: "You should have no problems using your LEE filters with an RX-1. You will obviously need a 49mm adaptor ring and I think I would go for the wide angle variety just in case. Although you should be fine on the vigneting front."
Actually it doesn't sound like they tested it for themselves. So if somebody could confirm this statement, I would appreciate it very much.

MoreOrLess

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 05:12:26 am »

I can't confirm it but I really don't see any reason why it would give you any issues, the RX1 lens doesn't seem to have a recessed front element and I'v used a Lee standard 77mm adapter ring with a foundation kit and 2 slots as wide as 16mm on a FF DSLR with no problem.

derAngler

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:03:19 pm »

Today I received the Lee 49mm wide angle adapter and tried it out with the Sony RX1R. I used the Lee Foundation Kit with a polarizer and two filters attached.
Unfortunately the whole Lee setup is pretty big and heavy on the camera and not very comfortable to use. Also the transition of the Lee GND soft grad filters is too wide for such a small lens. Only using GND hard grad filters makes sense. Vignetting is not visible at all.
Conclusion: I would not recommend using a normal LEE filter set on such a small camera. Instead I ordered now a whole Lee Seven5 setup and will try this on the Sony. The GND's for the Seven5 system should fit small lenses much better.
I will report again, when I receive the Seven5.

derAngler

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 03:45:19 am »

Today I received my Lee Seven5 Starter Kit with polarizer and filters. The difference to the normal Lee system is HUGE. Build quality is really nice, and size and weight is perfect. It works exactly the same as the bigger version and uses an innovative "clip on" polarizer. The only complaint I had so far is that the polarizer makes some squeaking noise when you turn it fast. But after putting some oil between the metal plate and the polarizer, the noise is gone. I think this is really a minor problem. The filter slots are a little bit tighter than on the bigger version. But that just depends on how tight you make the screws on the holder.
So overall a very high quality product as expected. I would definitely recommend this product to any serious photographer who is interested in working with small size cameras like the Sony RX1.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up