Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tripod for BH-55?  (Read 8497 times)

rolei

tripod for BH-55?
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:28:36 pm »

I've recently got the Really Right Stuff BH-55 and I kept the Manfrotto legs so the BH-55 is mounted on my Manfrotto 190ProB. I am looking to upgrade the tripod and could you suggest a stable/good legs sutable for that tripod head (not very expansive)
Thank you

NancyP

Re: tripod for BH-55?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:39:55 pm »

I wouldn't consider it inexpensive, but the Feisol Elite and Tournament tripod lines are excellent and of very high quality. I have the carbon fiber 37mm leg diameter 4 leg section CT3472. I believe that the maximum height would be sufficient for people 6 feet tall. It has a wide diameter "spider", does not come with a center column, similar to the Gitzo Systematic line, and is bulky. There is a relatively inexpensive 75mm diameter leveling bowl and various spikes as optional accessories. It is very stable and vibration free, handles minutes-long moonlight shots. I bought the biggest tripod they had, because I currently use it with a 400mm f/5.6 lens and plan to use it with one of the 500mm or 600mm f/4 Big Whites once I get around to renting one for a special birding vacation. My ball head is the Arca-Swiss Z1sp  and my half-gimbal is the Custom Brackets Basic Gimbal (fits into ball head clamp, similar to the Wimberley Sidekick). The Feisol Tournament line is smaller (28mm leg diameter) but is similar in design.

I also have the Manfrotto 055XProB aluminum legs, with a Manfrotto 410 geared head. The sucker weighs 8 pounds or so, it gets used close to the car, but I don't hike with it. The aluminum legs tend to vibrate in the wind, and damping is slow. Otherwise, this is a good studio and short-distance tripod for most non-Big White uses. This was my first, budget, tripod, and I consider it a good choice if you are strapped and need a tripod NOW.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:14:01 pm »

If you want a heavy duty tripod: http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Benro-C3770T-Tripod-/111093024?_tab=1&_trksid=p2047675.l2644

It is Benro three section Carbon Fiber - sold from Asia on Ebay (from a 100% reliable company)

The other alternative is to buy a Gitzo used - check the Buy/Sell fora (forums) of various camera site: www.photo.net or Fred Miranda (FM) forums - you can use the search function at FM forums to see what is being sold...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:55:14 pm »

You already have 1/2 of a great solution.  I would look at RRS tripods.  They have an excellent lineup.  I have the 3 leg, 3 seg, long leg, with the adjustable collar.  2 years now with pretty harsh use and only had a few small issues.  Both were fixed immediately by RRS and one was totally my fault, don't tighten the legs too tight, they just need a delicate amount of pressure.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

marcmccalmont

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 06:28:36 am »

I love my 3 series Gitzo 3541, or for less cost the 3531 $200 rebate at B&H photo!
It's just the right size and stability for the BH55
Marc
Marc McCalmont

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:31:17 am »

Hi,

I also have a Gitzo GT3541LS, but i have upgraded to an RRS series 3 tripod and have never regretted it. So I wold recommend to check out the RRS line of tripods. I would also mention that I have upgraded to Arca Swiss D4 from the BH55. I still have the Gitzo GT3541LS and the BH55, but they see little use...

Best regards
Erik

I love my 3 series Gitzo 3541, or for less cost the 3531 $200 rebate at B&H photo!
It's just the right size and stability for the BH55
Marc
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:16:52 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

marcmccalmont

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:17:00 am »

Hi,

I also have a Gitzo GT3541LS, but i have upgraded to an RRS series 3 tripod and have never regretted it. So I wold recommend to check out the RRS line of tripods. I would also mention that I have upgraded to Arcs Swiss D4 from the BH55. I still have the Gitzo GT3541LS and the BH55, but they see little use...

Best regards
Erik

$500 vs $900 :) Marc
Marc McCalmont

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 12:08:15 pm »

If you choose wisely this will be the last tripod you ever need to buy! Except for a little small light one you'll need to go with your little small light camera when they replace all the heavy DSLRs we are currently using!!!

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 02:55:00 pm »

The Gitzo Systematic Series 3 offers two models -- a Tall 3-section, and a Very Tall 4-section, that have proven themselves over many years for many different photographers.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 03:50:52 pm »

Hi,

Last time I tested the Gitzo worked quite well with my Sony RX100, no worry, it should work just fine!

Best regards
Erik

If you choose wisely this will be the last tripod you ever need to buy! Except for a little small light one you'll need to go with your little small light camera when they replace all the heavy DSLRs we are currently using!!!
Erik Kaffehr

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 06:26:21 pm »

Erik, that's great, I've done the same thing with my little Fuji on my big Gitzo. Looks funny but it works. (But I still want a small tripod for travel.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Rob Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 02:08:14 pm »

+1 for the rrs pod. I use one with my bh-55. Yes, not the cheapest but i figure on upgrading it less frequently than the canera gear.

Pod has performed flawlessly (though the lever release on my bh-55 seems to have stopped working properly).
Carpe lucem

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 06:10:43 pm »

I have the Gitzo System 3  "extra tall" 4-section version and love it. I'm only 5'6, but carry a 3-step ladder with me most of the time which allows me to extend the tripod to its full height and stand on the third step. And with he BH-55, it's the perfect combination for me. YMMV
Mike Guilbault

shadowblade

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 01:29:42 am »

The RRS TVC-34L and BH-55 together make up one of the best possible combinations for holding a camera steady. The Arca-Swiss C1 Cube head is another alternative, if that style of head suits your photography better.

Either combination also makes for quite a functional mace, for fending off bears...

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »

Love my Gitzo's too, have the 5 and 2 series. But would go for RRS if I had to do it again. Gitzo's Manfrotto repair service is very slow, because they have to order parts in France. Waited 4 weeks to get my 2 series repaired....

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 01:56:38 pm »

Hi,

Regarding the head I would look at the Arca Swiss D4. I have both BH55 and D4, and the BH55 has been relegated to the seeing little use category. Regarding the legs I have both GT3541LS and RRS Versa 3. The Versa 3 is clearly my favorite.

Best regards
Erik

Love my Gitzo's too, have the 5 and 2 series. But would go for RRS if I had to do it again. Gitzo's Manfrotto repair service is very slow, because they have to order parts in France. Waited 4 weeks to get my 2 series repaired....
Erik Kaffehr

SeanBK

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 09:48:42 pm »

Have been using BH-55 & Gitzo 3530 for a few yrs, never regretted the purchase. It is a three sectioned leg with center column. I like center column as I improvised & attached a ring to it, so if need arose I could attached some weight when fully extended. I hope u got L-bracket, as it keeps  the weight centered  in those tall shooting situations. Also I w/center column & one of the leg I attached a shoulder strap, so I sling the tripod, ballhead & the camera/lens in one motion & start walking/hiking.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up