Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Panasonic GX7  (Read 28335 times)

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Re: Re: New Panasonic GX7
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 02:09:53 pm »

The zuiko 40-150 f/2.8 for MFT coming soon:

stever

Re: New Panasonic GX7
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 06:57:25 pm »

for now, at least it appears that the black GX 7 is not coming to the US - unfortunately

BJL

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2013, 07:04:24 pm »

Unfortunately, the latest word from Olympus on the 40-150/2.8 is "by the end of 2014”. This one place where getting decent PDAF on the main sensor will be a step forward, given all the nice Four Thirds SLR lenses that become more usable options.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:38:09 pm by BJL »

bluekorn

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 04:01:49 pm »

I discovered the black GX7 to soon be available at Henry's in Toronto and placed my order for the kit with the 20mm. They also have body only and a kit with the 14-42.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 04:20:21 pm »

The four thirds 50-200 looks very interesting in the context of the new E-M1. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/527566-REG/Olympus_261015_50_200mm_f_2_8_3_5_ED_SWD.html

It will be interesting to see how these old Four Thirds lenses work on the E-M1.  Then, of course, there is the 300 f/2.8 at $8K or so.  I can't quite get my head wrapped around spending that on the Olympus system. Is it possible that I still don't trust the longevity of the MFT family?  I already have a heck of a lot of money balled up in MFT gear.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Telecaster

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2013, 04:57:37 pm »

The 50-200mm is a helluva nice lens. Even when used with the four-thirds 1.4x TC it wipes the floor resolution- and clarity-wise with the Panasonic 45-200mm, particularly at the long end. Granted, not really a fair comparison...and the Panasonic is smaller & much lighter. But still I'm impressed. The TC takes you to 280mm (my E-M5 reports 283mm...okay), which gives me all the reach I need.

-Dave-

scooby70

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 08:07:50 pm »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/527566-REG/Olympus_261015_50_200mm_f_2_8_3_5_ED_SWD.html

It will be interesting to see how these old Four Thirds lenses work on the E-M1.  Then, of course, there is the 300 f/2.8 at $8K or so.  I can't quite get my head wrapped around spending that on the Olympus system. Is it possible that I still don't trust the longevity of the MFT family?  I already have a heck of a lot of money balled up in MFT gear.

I avoid this by only having two AF lenses, 20mm f1.7 and 14-42mm, and 99% of my shots are taken with old Rokkor primes which will fit any of the new CSC's via a cheap adapter.

leuallen

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 09:49:20 pm »

The four thirds 50-200 looks very interesting in the context of the new E-M1

So damn interesting I ordered one, the adapter, a E-M1 and a GX7. I have been waiting for a sharp long lens and hope this is it. Got it and it a little bigger than I am used to so I will have to grow into it. I may try the 1.7 extender cause I like to go long.

I tried it on the E-M5. Focus is slow and slower as expected. I was shooting car dirt track races and got good results if I prefocused on a spot in the corner and banged them when they got there.

Larry

Stephen Davies

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 07:41:21 am »

I just ordered the black GX7 w/20 from Henry's. Now that the horse has left the barn, does anyone know if there are any potential issues with compatibility or warranty? (I'm in the U.S.).
My experience with M43 has been the G2, the GX1, the GH2 and the EM-5.
The most "comfortable" cameras, as far as holding them and convenience of controls and menus, are the G2 and the GH2.
I really like the solidity and quality construction of the EM-5 but I can't seem to get accustomed to the feel of the camera in my hands. It's just wrong somehow (for me). And the menus make me crazy. However, I love the customization options and the IBIS. And it looks cool (not that that is important . . .)
I was hoping the EM-1 would address some of the issues but the price is just excessive to me.
I liked the size of the GX1 but realized I just can't do without an LVF.
So, I hope the GX7 will be "the camera" and I can sell the others and quit looking.
I'm disappointed about no mike (sp?) and I wish the IBIS worked with video, but video is secondary for me so I guess I can live with that.
Sometimes I get the feeling the camera companies leave features like that lacking just so they can include them in a later model and keep us on the upgrade path.
But that's probably just my cynicism kicking in.
Anyway, the real purpose of my post was to find out about any possible problems with ordering from a Canadian store - if anyone has any insight into that, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks and Aloha.

Mjollnir

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 01:43:07 pm »

The photo at the top of this thread bespeaks quite a nice DR.

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=53131&page=5

bcooter

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 09:18:22 pm »

This is the lens that would sell me the em1 camera.   I can't count the number of times shooting full frame with a 80 to 200 that I've needed 50mm more.

The only thing that would make it better is if it was a 2.0.

IMO

BC

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: New Panasonic GX7
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2013, 04:59:16 am »

The only thing that would make it better is if it was a 2.0.
That for sure would make it more expensive, bulkier, heavier and a bit more luminous. Not necessarily better for all users.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2013, 11:06:31 am »

The photo at the top of this thread bespeaks quite a nice DR.

Very impressive DR indeed.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:18:49 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 12:55:25 am »

Got my GX7 three weeks ago, here are some of my observations:

The build quality compared to my GH2 is flimsy, I had to buy a new backpack with dividers to feel comfortable about doing any extensive travel with it.

The battery life isn't very good and the battery is smaller than the GH2's, which annoyed me as I was hoping to use them as backups. It also adds another battery charger to the list.

The rotating viewfinder appears to be gimmicky but the view is fine and I love the horizon line in the middle (for some reason I tend to tilt the horizon down 1.5° to the right).

The LCD rotates rather oddly so if you are one of those who use it as a viewfinder I would check it out first. On the other hand the LCD images are in my view, much better than the GH2.

I haven't done any serious testing of its low light ability but indoor shots I shot in Sydney seemed to quite fine.

Oh, thanks to the poster who mentioned the second rotating wheel.

It's a cool little camera and it looks great with a 25mm or 45mm Leica lens on it.

Cheers,
Tom Brown
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up