Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Calibration for MountainLion/Gretag?  (Read 4621 times)

gwhitf

Monitor Calibration for MountainLion/Gretag?
« on: July 31, 2013, 05:26:39 pm »

I have an iMac 27, trying to profile monitor again, but Mountain Lion voided out the EyeOne Match 3.73 software. I think I have Revision A or B of the EyeOne Gretag puck; it's medium grey color. Is there any other software that will calibrate/profile an Imac 27, running Mountain lion, using that puck? Thank you in advance. Tried using Apple built in software but wow what a difference in profile. I've always used 120 lumens and 6500 Kelvin. I downloaded a "Lion" version of the XRite software, but it does not recognize my puck, via USB.

tho_mas

Re: Monitor Calibration for MountainLion/Gretag?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 06:04:19 pm »

honestly... go straight for a new puck ...namely the i1 Display Pro with the bundled new XRite Profiling Software.
The former i1 Display devices really suck...

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:04:13 am »

I agree with tho_mas: Get an i1 Display Pro colorimeter. The ColorMunki Display colorimeter and software work very well too but lacks  many features that mfpr the most part only very dedicated color management experts will use.

You might also try the new i1 Profiler software. Check here: http://www.xritephoto.com/lion-compatibility. If you have the i1 Pro spectrophotometer it will work. I am not sure about the older gretag-macbeth colorimeters (i1 Display 2, etc.)

gwhitf

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 04:13:13 am »

Does any company rent one of these profiling units? Seems insane to actually buy one; why not have a rental service?

tho_mas

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:52:20 am »

Does any company rent one of these profiling units? Seems insane to actually buy one; why not have a rental service?
You have to re-calibrate now and then anyway.
Given your impressive body of work I can't believe you don't want to spend around $180 for a decent monitor calibration solution ...

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:08:55 am »

Because the end user license forbids it. With it's well made construction and glass filtering, the i1DisplayPro should be a solid unit for years to come as was the Monaco Optix for the last 8+ years. The i1Display1 and 2 were duds that I've always encouraged people to avoid.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:20:44 am »

I agree with tho_mas: Get an i1 Display Pro colorimeter. The ColorMunki Display colorimeter and software work very well too but lacks  many features that mfpr the most part only very dedicated color management experts will use.

You might also try the new i1 Profiler software. Check here: http://www.xritephoto.com/lion-compatibility. If you have the i1 Pro spectrophotometer it will work. I am not sure about the older gretag-macbeth colorimeters (i1 Display 2, etc.)

And........I went from a Color Munki to a i1Display Pro because of the bad rap color management experts gave the Color Munki and ended up with a profile that was absolutely INDISTINGUISHABLE from the Color Munki.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:37 am »

And........I went from a Color Munki to a i1Display Pro because of the bad rap color management experts gave the Color Munki and ended up with a profile that was absolutely INDISTINGUISHABLE from the Color Munki.

I never gave it a bad rap. :-] Those that are knowledgable will tell you that the difference is speed and greater flexibility in the software to control the parameters of the calibration process. If you really want to tweak the white point to match your lighting, or the black point to match a printing process for example, the software allows for much greater control. I personally think pros are going to need that additional control, and if they use it, will wind up with a more customized profile that better matches paper white under their lighting.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:27:19 am by Scott Martin »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

tommm

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 02:41:23 pm »

I've just checked and my i1 display (the first iteration) is still working with i1 software, it also works with spectraview but unless you have that already it's not much cheaper than buying a new i1 pro. The software version is i1ProfilerD2LionEdition, not sure if it still available for download...

Tom

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:26:09 pm »

That's understandable, Kirk. The only real gotcha' is in the display being calibrated regardless whether using either one. In the case of the OP's iMac, having no RGB gain adjusts if by chance its native WP is far from 6500K, both will create a profile to target to 6500K through the video card.

Not sure if the i1Display Pro software provides final CAL target readouts at the end of the process, but I do know Colormunki Display doesn't, but I developed a workaround where I just load the final CM display profile in Photoshop's CustomRGB in Color Settings and if it's not exactly 6500K, I enter the X,Y numbers into an online Color Temp Calculator...

http://www.markhunter.com/writings/articles/chromaticity.asp

And analyze the profile's RGB LUTs/vcgt tag in Colorsync Utility which was a given in the original i1Display i1Match software.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 09:37:55 am »

I personally think pros are going to need that additional control, and if they use it, will wind up with a more customized profile that better matches paper white under their lighting.

Agreed! And not just pro's (those that want to fully control a match to the display).

WHY X-rite dumbs down the software and offers so many purchasing options is beyond me. Crippled software is, well crippled. They could make an 'easy' and advanced mode of they are afraid of scaring new users but they should provide all the software functionality necessary to do a good job.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up